I have problem in booting Linux from the harddisk. In the course of booting, it just said "Waiting for device /dev/disk/by-id/....-Part6 to appear" and then return to "/bin/sh". However, when I booted from the Installation CD, it's ok. !!
Here are some basis information,
- The Linux version installed is 10.3, from www.opensuse.org
- I used an old PC to install Linux. It's Pentium 3.
- Before Linux, there's already a copy of Windows XP (one partition C and a data partition D:. My intent is to dual boot two O/S.
- Most of time I accept Linux recommendations during installation, except that I adjusted a little bit in the disk space allcations. Anyhow, I still have Linux native, /home, and swap in place.
- During installation, I did encountered a hang when it install ata_piix and piix. By trial and error, i added options "brokenmodules=ata_piix,piix" during installation and when it hit another error "no repository found", I entered "# insmod modules/ide-generic.ko" in linux console and proceed the installation.
I'm totally new to Linux. Not sure if the steps above is correct. Please let me know if there's anything I can post here in order to clarify the problem.
Many thanks to all of you.
p.s. this is a cross-posted topic in Linux-Newbie. Please forgive me if it violates any posting rules :P