SUSE / openSUSEThis Forum is for the discussion of Suse Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I have had a running system without any problems using DHCP (SUSE 9.3, 64bit). I recently moved to the US (from the Netherlands), brought the computer and turned it back on when I got there. Actually I had two computers, one laptop running Centos and the Desktop running SUSE 9.3. The latter gave me problems, the former is running fine (including DHCP). Everything seems to work just fine except that during the update I ran after I got here (it was a while since I had done that since it had been shipped for about four weeks) the connection broke, and it wouldn't reconnect. Initially it would reconnect but would get disconnected after a few minutes of using the connection. Now it will not connect anymore. Like I said, the laptop works fine so I really think it has something to do with SUSE.
Since I was worried that it maybe caused by the breaking of the update operation I decided to do a DVD upgrade to 10.1 (which I had planned alread for a while and this my opportunity). This made me happy for several reasons (not relevant to this thread though) but the problem with the DHCP persisted. Can anybody shed some light on this issue?
A little more deatil would be great. uhm, have you tried dhcpcd -k and then dhcpcd to reinitialize? I'm sure you've tried this but, without some error messages or description of the problem it's hard to help. Cheers.
I had a similar problem with DHCP. It was related to a cheap router (Gigafast) I had that for some reason didn't play nicely with SUSE (but worked fine with Fedora). When I tried /sbin/ifconfig it appeared that the computer still had the old IP and couldn't get a new one. I don't know if this is the same problem you have. What kind of router do you have?
I am not at my computer right now, but I think there is a file called /etc/resolv.conf.saved.by.dhcpcd (or something like that). Try deleting it then rebooting, hopefully it won't try to restore the settings from that file.
The other thing you may want to try is disabling your the SUSE firewall temporarily, it may be blocking DHCP for some reason.
Thanks for the input guys. Sorry that my info was a bit sparse. I tried a bunch of things and got it to work. Still don't understand what it was but here's what I did:
1) after changing cables, routers etc. I decided that the only hardware that could giving me trouble was the network card
2) replaced the card, worked!
3) put the old card back in, still works!
So it turned out that it wasn't that the card wasn't working. However I did need to put in the other card to make it work. I am clueless. The card I am using is the onboard card, so it wasn't the connection either. Anyway, I am happy and that's the most important for now. If anyone's got a clue on what may have caused this temporal failure I'd love to know!