LinuxQuestions.org
Support LQ: Use code LQ3 and save $3 on Domain Registration
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Suse/Novell
User Name
Password
Suse/Novell This Forum is for the discussion of Suse Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 08-14-2006, 04:35 PM   #1
Takezo
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2004
Distribution: SUSE 10.1
Posts: 25

Rep: Reputation: 15
ZMD fails to start.


I just recently installed nivida's driver yesterday to get 3D support to work.

Everything worked fine, I rebooted my PC to load nvidia's driver. Everything was perfect. But when I turned on my pc today. The screen was blank. I noticed before hand the sax2 settings on the bottom left pannel (the one where you can quickly switch resolutions and refreshrates) were treated as seperate settings from the sax2 menu (the display menu in YaST). I set my monitor to 1024x768 via the quick switch), yet sax2 menu in YaST was still set to 1200x1024. When I booted my computer this morning, X was reverted back to 1200x1024 when I had it set to 1024x768. The result was a blank screen, and the monitor going into sleep mode. I knew right away that the resolution was the cause, thus I rebooted and ran SUSE fail safe and ran sax2 -r.

I then set it 1024x768. I rebooted It worked, I can now use it as normal. However ZMD failed to shutdown properly when I rebooted. and now it does not seem to want to load. I should try a cold boot, but if it does not work, I would like to know how to get ZMD working again, since I use it for updates and to install packages.

Last edited by Takezo; 08-14-2006 at 04:36 PM.
 
Old 08-16-2006, 12:54 AM   #2
leandean
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: Burley, WA
Distribution: Sabayon
Posts: 276

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
As su::

#>rczmd start
 
Old 08-17-2006, 02:06 PM   #3
Takezo
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2004
Distribution: SUSE 10.1
Posts: 25

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by leandean
As su::

#>rczmd start
I already solved this issue. I could not just restart ZMD. I had to go to /var/lib/zmd and rename zmd.db and zmd.db-journal to somthing else. ex: xzmd.db, xzmd.db-journal.

To solve this issue, i posted in a forums dedicated to SUSE. Someone sugested I should rename zmd.db and zmd.db-journal.

Before that, i used the /etc/init.d/novell-zmd restart command to restart ZMD, It said it restarted, yet the status (/etc/init.d/novell-zmd status)said dead.

After i renamed the two files as sugested, the restart worked. I used the same /etc/init.d/novell-zmd restart as before. This time status returned running!

ZMD works!

i just updated SUSE via update daemon.
 
Old 08-25-2006, 06:37 PM   #4
Red Knuckles
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Colorado USA
Distribution: Debian AMD 64 Testing, Sabayon Linux x86-64 3.4, and Ubuntu AMD 64 7.04
Posts: 235

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takezo
I already solved this issue. I could not just restart ZMD. I had to go to /var/lib/zmd and rename zmd.db and zmd.db-journal to somthing else. ex: xzmd.db, xzmd.db-journal.

To solve this issue, i posted in a forums dedicated to SUSE. Someone sugested I should rename zmd.db and zmd.db-journal.

Before that, i used the /etc/init.d/novell-zmd restart command to restart ZMD, It said it restarted, yet the status (/etc/init.d/novell-zmd status)said dead.

After i renamed the two files as sugested, the restart worked. I used the same /etc/init.d/novell-zmd restart as before. This time status returned running!

ZMD works!

i just updated SUSE via update daemon.
Why don't I have zmd.db-journal? ie.

zzzzz:~ # cd /var/lib/zmd
zzzzz:/var/lib/zmd # mv zmd.db xzmd.db
zzzzz:/var/lib/zmd # ls
installed-packages-stamp services sleep-data subscriptions xzmd.db zypp-owned-catalogs

Thanks in advance.
 
Old 09-06-2006, 07:02 PM   #5
dasbooter
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Posts: 122

Rep: Reputation: 15
wow I struggle with this forever at least I learned a little about a new package manager smart

thanks alot and can U delete the renamed data base and journal files?
 
Old 09-06-2006, 08:26 PM   #6
Red Knuckles
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Colorado USA
Distribution: Debian AMD 64 Testing, Sabayon Linux x86-64 3.4, and Ubuntu AMD 64 7.04
Posts: 235

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasbooter
wow I struggle with this forever at least I learned a little about a new package manager smart

thanks alot and can U delete the renamed data base and journal files?
I'm not sure why you would want to do that. You need the renamed file or the original file [zmd.db] in /var/lib/zmd for zmd to work. If you are sure this is what you want to do in terminal as root type:

rm xzmd.db

Where xzmd.db is what ever you renamed your zmd.db file to. This may well render your zmd useless and you would have to reinstall zmd which isn't very hard. Just use your package manager of choice. I got ZMD and Zen Updater to work but decided they were still to slow and also slowed down my computer on other programs as well so I disabled ZMD by going to 'Yast>System>System Services' and disabling 'novell-zmd'. Also I clicked on the 'Zen Updater' icon in the menu panel and selected 'Configure>Preferences' and deselected the box for 'Start Updater on Login'. Now everything I've used since preforms normally. I can now try ZMD again if I choose without going through the install and fix hassle.

I like the Smart/Smart-gui as well as apt/Synaptic package managers. I find Smart to be the fastest. Obviously in Suse 10.1 Yast [which I liked in Suse 10.0] and Zen both seem to be way slow on my box.
 
Old 09-06-2006, 09:33 PM   #7
dasbooter
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Posts: 122

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Knuckles
I'm not sure why you would want to do that. You need the renamed file or the original file [zmd.db] in /var/lib/zmd for zmd to work. If you are sure this is what you want to do in terminal as root type:

rm xzmd.db

Where xzmd.db is what ever you renamed your zmd.db file to. This may well render your zmd useless and you would have to reinstall zmd which isn't very hard. Just use your package manager of choice. I got ZMD and Zen Updater to work but decided they were still to slow and also slowed down my computer on other programs as well so I disabled ZMD by going to 'Yast>System>System Services' and disabling 'novell-zmd'. Also I clicked on the 'Zen Updater' icon in the menu panel and selected 'Configure>Preferences' and deselected the box for 'Start Updater on Login'. Now everything I've used since preforms normally. I can now try ZMD again if I choose without going through the install and fix hassle.

I like the Smart/Smart-gui as well as apt/Synaptic package managers. I find Smart to be the fastest. Obviously in Suse 10.1 Yast [which I liked in Suse 10.0] and Zen both seem to be way slow on my box.

Actually it seems that a new database and journal is built after renaming them. So I dont know what you mean? If you rename the files they are as good as non existant to zen anyway?

I liked smart but I did encounter a problem with some packages with the same numbers but for different architectures i686 versus i586 and it would bounce around between the two versions when all I wanted was to completely uninstall the package. It was showing a conflict between one of the kde libs and kmplayer which seemed kind of weird to me and the ksmartupdater icon wouldnt flash all the time to indicate updates?
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cannot add user to zmd Red Knuckles Suse/Novell 2 06-20-2006 04:09 PM
amaroK Fails to Start ShoCkwave Slackware 2 04-11-2005 06:01 AM
rc.firewall fails to start hubabuba Slackware 3 04-05-2005 05:17 AM
nfs start fails Recirqie Linux - Networking 2 10-25-2004 02:32 AM
Session fails to start borrrden Fedora 2 06-03-2004 06:50 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration