LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Suse/Novell (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/suse-novell-60/)
-   -   waiting for device /dev/hda3 to appear ... not found. Should be hde3 ! (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/suse-novell-60/waiting-for-device-dev-hda3-to-appear-not-found-should-be-hde3-939710/)

kevinh 04-13-2012 08:56 PM

waiting for device /dev/hda3 to appear ... not found. Should be hde3 !
 
Forgive me if this question has been asked: I looked through the forum but did not find a situation exactly like this. The boot process is looking for hda3, when it should be looking on hde3. I edited the fstab to point to hde, which allowed a boot from the install disk: There appears to be nothing wrong with the integrity of the partition. The mtab was pointing to the correct drive so I did not edit it.

As a clue to why this happened, both a DVD drive and hard drive was swapped around this system. I also installed a Windows XP disk and a Ubuntu disk, while this disk was plugged into the controller, but neither should have written to the SUSE drive, nor do I think it did. FYI, all OSs exclusively reside on their own physical disks.

Can anyone tell be if an editable file is calling for the HDA3 location mentioned in the thread title and if so, what is that files name? Thanks.

syg00 04-13-2012 10:42 PM

Not much to go on. Let's see the RESULTS.txt from bootinfoscript (can be run from a liveCD).

tommylovell 04-14-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinh (Post 4652201)
The boot process is looking for hda3, when it should be looking on hde3.

Hey kevinh,

hde seems highly unlikely as a drive on your system. hde3 would be the 3rd partition on your 5th drive (a=1st, b=2nd, ..., e=5th).

If that drive is your first hard drive then it would be /dev/hda. If your 1st physical disk has Windows on it and your Linux system is on the second disk, then it'd be /dev/hdb.

(although most newer systems have changed the disk naming and would call them /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, etc., as do my Ubuntu 10.04, 10.10, and all of my Fedora systems.)

Can you tell us what drives are on what interfaces? What was where to start with? And what bootloader you are using?

kevinh 04-14-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommylovell (Post 4652561)
Hey kevinh,

hde seems highly unlikely as a drive on your system. hde3 would be the 3rd partition on your 5th drive (a=1st, b=2nd, ..., e=5th).

If that drive is your first hard drive then it would be /dev/hda. If your 1st physical disk has Windows on it and your Linux system is on the second disk, then it'd be /dev/hdb.

(although most newer systems have changed the disk naming and would call them /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, etc., as do my Ubuntu 10.04, 10.10, and all of my Fedora systems.)

Can you tell us what drives are on what interfaces? What was where to start with? And what bootloader you are using?

There was, at one time, 5 drives in the system (2 on onboard IDE1, DVD drive on IDE2, and 1 on Promise PCI IDE controller. Fdisk -1 only shows partitions at hde1, 2 and 3. If I use the "Boot Installed System" procedure per Novell, booting from the installation disk, I can get the system to start by pointing to hde3. Bootloader is GRUB.

yancek 04-14-2012 03:05 PM

Have you edited the /boot/grub/menu.lst file to change the entry so it is pointing to the hde rather than hda?
With the number of drives you have and the changes you have made there is no way anyone is going to be able to give you specific instructions other than guessing. The simplest thing would be to run and post the results of the bootinfoscript suggested above. It would also be a good idea for you to save/keep that file for future reference.

tommylovell 04-14-2012 03:10 PM

yancek beat me to it, but I'll reiterate.

We need more info. What controller is the SuSE drive plugged into? Is it set to master or slave? Is the Ubuntu drive plugged in, and where? And the same for the Windows drive? Or is your new SuSE drive the only hard drive now on the system. (The DVD/CDROM doesn't count - it's not a hard drive.) If you do have multiple drives, are you going into the bios and altering the boot device?

Anything we could tell you is speculation without knowing what your system looked like when SuSE was installed and what it looks like now.

But in general, if you move drives around it confuses grub. grub has entries in /boot/grub/grub.conf describing each operating system that can be booted. Each 'root' statement tells it where a kernel and initrd can be found.

(btw, you only listed three drives... so i'm still confused on the drive naming.)

kevinh 04-14-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommylovell (Post 4652721)
yancek beat me to it, but I'll reiterate.

We need more info. What controller is the SuSE drive plugged into? Is it set to master or slave? Is the Ubuntu drive plugged in, and where? And the same for the Windows drive? Or is your new SuSE drive the only hard drive now on the system. (The DVD/CDROM doesn't count - it's not a hard drive.) If you do have multiple drives, are you going into the bios and altering the boot device?

Anything we could tell you is speculation without knowing what your system looked like when SuSE was installed and what it looks like now.

But in general, if you move drives around it confuses grub. grub has entries in /boot/grub/grub.conf describing each operating system that can be booted. Each 'root' statement tells it where a kernel and initrd can be found.

(btw, you only listed three drives... so i'm still confused on the drive naming.)

I will post the results of the bootinfoscript ASAP. I was trying to avoid it because I do not have an easy way to get the results to this computer to post them.

kevinh 04-14-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinh (Post 4652736)
I will post the results of the bootinfoscript ASAP. I was trying to avoid it because I do not have an easy way to get the results to this computer to post them.

Thank to all for the responses. I took the advice to edit the menu.lst, changed the pertinent entry from hda3 to hde3, and was able to boot. I figured it would be something that easy for the expert, but am relatively new to Linux.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:14 PM.