LinuxQuestions.org
LinuxAnswers - the LQ Linux tutorial section.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Suse/Novell
User Name
Password
Suse/Novell This Forum is for the discussion of Suse Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 05-14-2007, 02:51 PM   #1
wh33t
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: Ubuntu Server LTS 14.04.1
Posts: 451

Rep: Reputation: 34
Exclamation VMware Config - Where C-header files


Hi there, trying to get VMware server up and running on a Suse10.2 box. During the config.pl script i get to:

Code:
What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]
To which the default value obviously does not work. I have tried to use Yast to install the header files, but I am still at a loss as to where these files are and what I have to type in at this point.

The machine is a dual Opteron CPU Supermicro setup. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Last edited by wh33t; 05-14-2007 at 02:52 PM.
 
Old 05-14-2007, 05:13 PM   #2
Sp1t
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Distribution: Suse 10.2
Posts: 68

Rep: Reputation: 15
The defaults worked for me. In yast, have you got kernel-source, linux-kernel-headers and I think kernel-syms as well checked?
 
Old 05-14-2007, 07:54 PM   #3
wh33t
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: Ubuntu Server LTS 14.04.1
Posts: 451

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 34
I did eventually get it all fixed up. It's because the kernel isn't the one that came with Suse 10.2. Someone had updated it previously to take advantage of the two cpu's. Thanks for replying though
 
Old 11-25-2007, 07:11 PM   #4
RaWa
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria, Canada
Distribution: openSuSe 10.3
Posts: 1

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh33t View Post
I did eventually get it all fixed up. It's because the kernel isn't the one that came with Suse 10.2. Someone had updated it previously to take advantage of the two cpu's. Thanks for replying though
I got a similar message trying to build vmmon:

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

The kernel headers are not installed (Suse 10.1 kernel-smp-2.6.16.27-0.9). However the kernel has been updated (by YAst) and I cannot find the source. What did you do to solve this?
 
Old 11-25-2007, 07:32 PM   #5
wh33t
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: Ubuntu Server LTS 14.04.1
Posts: 451

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 34
I'm not even sure what we did to fix this. I think a senior programming did some custom kernel compiling to fix it. I'd ask him if I still worked for this company. Sorry dude.
 
Old 11-25-2007, 07:35 PM   #6
trickykid
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2001
Posts: 24,133

Rep: Reputation: 197Reputation: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaWa View Post
I got a similar message trying to build vmmon:

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

The kernel headers are not installed (Suse 10.1 kernel-smp-2.6.16.27-0.9). However the kernel has been updated (by YAst) and I cannot find the source. What did you do to solve this?
Download the latest vmware-any-any patch found here: http://knihovny.cvut.cz/ftp/pub/vmware/
 
Old 11-25-2007, 07:36 PM   #7
trickykid
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2001
Posts: 24,133

Rep: Reputation: 197Reputation: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh33t View Post
I'm not even sure what we did to fix this. I think a senior programming did some custom kernel compiling to fix it. I'd ask him if I still worked for this company. Sorry dude.
Wow, custom kernel with a senior programmer. Could have saved the company a lot of time and moola if they just downloaded the patch I mentioned.
 
Old 06-07-2008, 02:56 AM   #8
cyclops.matrix
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: London - Matrix
Distribution: Open Suse 11.1
Posts: 50

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickykid View Post
Download the latest vmware-any-any patch found here: http://knihovny.cvut.cz/ftp/pub/vmware/
Hi guys i am also having the same issue her and noted your link
however can you please say which item is the fix from the list and what to do next.

Last edited by cyclops.matrix; 06-07-2008 at 06:54 AM.
 
Old 06-07-2008, 10:02 AM   #9
wh33t
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: Ubuntu Server LTS 14.04.1
Posts: 451

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickykid View Post
Wow, custom kernel with a senior programmer. Could have saved the company a lot of time and moola if they just downloaded the patch I mentioned.
Perhaps, but you also replied later lol. Also, not sure if they trust updates from 3rd party sites.
 
  


Reply

Tags
files, header, kernel source, suse, vmserver, vmware


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
missing header files and vmware trscookie Linux - Software 7 03-13-2007 04:10 AM
vmware looking for c header files for kernel zuessh Debian 4 07-23-2005 08:12 AM
VMware Config. header files? jasonmcneil0 Linux - Software 3 12-06-2004 12:08 AM
C Header files (VMWare Install) mr.linux.noob Linux - General 2 04-05-2004 11:33 AM
vmware error, cant find c header files artofluke Slackware 9 09-02-2003 07:35 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:19 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration