LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Suse/Novell (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/suse-novell-60/)
-   -   Suse 10.1 Yast Does not creat URL for local directory as installation source (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/suse-novell-60/suse-10-1-yast-does-not-creat-url-for-local-directory-as-installation-source-531922/)

TigerLinux 02-24-2007 02:21 AM

Suse 10.1 Yast Does not creat URL for local directory as installation source
 
I try to create a reference to local folder as installation source, but it is unable to do so, it prompts me that URL unable to be created.

colucix 02-24-2007 04:13 AM

When you add a new source from Yast, try to specify it as "package directory" instead of "local directory". It works fine for me.

litlmary 02-24-2007 04:55 AM

colucix=nail on head.

I went around and around with this for a long time. If you just "specify URL" it will look for some type of yast or yum repo data to define the source. If you just tell it to look for packages, it will simply make a list of the .rpm files in the directory.

viel gluck,

J

TigerLinux 02-24-2007 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colucix
When you add a new source from Yast, try to specify it as "package directory" instead of "local directory". It works fine for me.

Hi, there is no choice for Package Directory when i click the ADD button.

colucix 02-24-2007 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerLinux
Hi, there is no choice for Package Directory when i click the ADD button.

Sorry. Obviously that choice was introduced since version 10.2. On 10.1 (altough all the YAST update/installation was buggy) a command-line method was introduced to manage repositories and services via ZEN. See man rug for details. A command like
Code:

rug sa --type=mount /dir/where/rpm/are/stored/ local_install        #or eventually
rug sa --type=mount dir:///dir/where/rpm/are/stored/ local_install

should work. sa stats for service-add, --type=mount stats for "Mount a directory of RPMs", local_install is an arbitrary name for the source you're going to create. Hope this will help. The source added with rug, should be read from YAST, too (at least in theory).

TigerLinux 02-24-2007 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colucix
Sorry. Obviously that choice was introduced since version 10.2. On 10.1 (altough all the YAST update/installation was buggy) a command-line method was introduced to manage repositories and services via ZEN. See man rug for details. A command like
Code:

rug sa --type=mount /dir/where/rpm/are/stored/ local_install        #or eventually
rug sa --type=mount dir:///dir/where/rpm/are/stored/ local_install

should work. sa stats for service-add, --type=mount stats for "Mount a directory of RPMs", local_install is an arbitrary name for the source you're going to create. Hope this will help. The source added with rug, should be read from YAST, too (at least in theory).

I did likewise, it shows Waking up Zmd........... then no more response

colucix 02-24-2007 05:40 PM

"Waking up ZMD" is the expected answer! Did the command hang up or you returned to prompt?

TigerLinux 02-24-2007 07:36 PM

After that, it showed unable to create URL as last time.

colucix 02-25-2007 03:34 AM

Hmmm... I have had a bad experience with SuSE 10.1, all the update/installation stuff was broken! I survived after installing Smart package manager... until the release of SuSE 10.2 which solved the problems!

litlmary 02-25-2007 03:29 PM

He got it right again! I thought the OP was using 10.2. Yast package management in 10.1 was a horrible joke. Install smart and smart-gui and use that until you upgrade. Even then, I still prefer smart in 10.2. It is just plain better at resolving dependencies.

Frankly, 10.2 is so superior to 10.1 in so many ways that I don't see why you haven't upgraded...

J

TigerLinux 02-25-2007 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by litlmary
He got it right again! I thought the OP was using 10.2. Yast package management in 10.1 was a horrible joke. Install smart and smart-gui and use that until you upgrade. Even then, I still prefer smart in 10.2. It is just plain better at resolving dependencies.

Frankly, 10.2 is so superior to 10.1 in so many ways that I don't see why you haven't upgraded...

J

10.2 can not login to created USER ID. I am trying 10.3 alpha 1.

litlmary 02-25-2007 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerLinux
10.2 can not login to created USER ID. I am trying 10.3 alpha 1.

I've considered that, but while it is still in alpha it will have a lot of bugs. I'm probably going to wait until it gets to RC...

J

TigerLinux 02-26-2007 02:06 AM

the users of 10.3 alpha 1 said that it is almost impeccable.

litlmary 02-26-2007 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerLinux
the users of 10.3 alpha 1 said that it is almost impeccable.

Well, that's good. Maybe at this stage they have only focused on fixing bugs in <=10.2 and will begin adding new features (and the inevitably accompanying bugs) at a later development stage.

colucix 02-26-2007 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerLinux
10.2 can not login to created USER ID

Sorry my ignorance, but what does this mean?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 AM.