LinuxQuestions.org
LinuxAnswers - the LQ Linux tutorial section.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Suse/Novell
User Name
Password
Suse/Novell This Forum is for the discussion of Suse Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 07-26-2006, 10:59 PM   #1
Takezo
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2004
Distribution: SUSE 10.1
Posts: 25

Rep: Reputation: 15
Packman repository does not work


It actually worked before, but it just gave an error saying that I could not sync with the url. I tried to re add it into YaST but, it can't create the installation source.

is there other repositories that will let me download all i need to get Mplayer running?

If you know a cool frontend for Mplayer that would be awsome.
 
Old 07-27-2006, 02:20 AM   #2
abisko00
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: Munich
Distribution: SuSE, Ubuntu
Posts: 3,511

Rep: Reputation: 58
I suggest to try another mirror:
ftp://packman.links2linux.de/pub/packman/MIRRORS
 
Old 07-27-2006, 08:52 AM   #3
dasbooter
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Posts: 122

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takezo
It actually worked before, but it just gave an error saying that I could not sync with the url. I tried to re add it into YaST but, it can't create the installation source.

is there other repositories that will let me download all i need to get Mplayer running?

If you know a cool frontend for Mplayer that would be awsome.
Strangley enough I had the same problem. That is a good suggestion abisk00 but to tell you the truth I have been having trouble with the kde repo. Originally yast found kde base packages for 3.54 and got half way through and then some came back not found on media or something like that.So right now I am running half and half 3.53 and 3.54 packages. Now for some reason I cant find those packages to update the rest.I havent changed my sources and I refreshed everything. Occaisionally yast comes back with some sort of problem with that repsository. Is this a yast problem or a repository problem?Are the latest packages 3.54 or what I am confuse?Done get me started on Zen that is a whole different issue.Suse growing pains, sigh.
 
Old 07-27-2006, 09:10 AM   #4
BruceCadieux
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2002
Location: Wales MA.
Distribution: openSuSE 11.1
Posts: 409

Rep: Reputation: 32
It's not a Yast problem.

Someone jumped the gun when they put the SuSE KDE 3.5.4 rpms up. They were there for about a day, and then taken back down.

I was fortunate, I got fully updated, before they pulled them down.
 
Old 07-27-2006, 10:19 PM   #5
dasbooter
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Posts: 122

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceCadieux
It's not a Yast problem.

Someone jumped the gun when they put the SuSE KDE 3.5.4 rpms up. They were there for about a day, and then taken back down.

I was fortunate, I got fully updated, before they pulled them down.
Sorry you have 350 some odd posts and been around for along time so I dont mean any disrespect when I ask where did you find that out. I mean, the potential to screw up somebodys system by pulling packages like that seems like a definite possibility why would they pull the packages like that?
 
Old 07-28-2006, 06:21 PM   #6
osbie
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: Los Angeles (the Great Cultural Wasteland)
Distribution: SuSe 10.2
Posts: 151

Rep: Reputation: 30
whenever i use yast i have the same problem, i don't know if it's Packmans prob. or yast. I use SMART ( http://spinink.net/2006/05/20/instal...ckage-manager/ )now and have NO troubles with any repos.

As far as taking something like the KDE 3.5.4 down that is SOO wrong even if it's a mistake. they should just make it no longer visible but leave there for a while for/incase someone is D/L ing it.
 
Old 07-28-2006, 10:31 PM   #7
EclipseAgent
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: California
Distribution: SLED 10, openSuSE 10.2, Ubuntu Drapper
Posts: 713

Rep: Reputation: 30
There was a problem with the Packman repository. Seems to be working fine now though.
 
Old 07-29-2006, 05:50 PM   #8
dasbooter
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Posts: 122

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by osbie
whenever i use yast i have the same problem, i don't know if it's Packmans prob. or yast. I use SMART ( http://spinink.net/2006/05/20/instal...ckage-manager/ )now and have NO troubles with any repos.

As far as taking something like the KDE 3.5.4 down that is SOO wrong even if it's a mistake. they should just make it no longer visible but leave there for a while for/incase someone is D/L ing it.

So far I have held off using smart as I think there have been a few reported problems with it including one post around here about a kernel update that went sour that didnt sound like a whole heck of alot of fun. Still both zen and yast have both been little bi*ches lately, today my update source was giving me an media installation error and then if you wait too long to update packages you went into yast in the first place for, it cant find them and you have to abort. I would rather shave my head with a cheese grater while chewing on tin foil than to have to keep going thru this.

Oh here is the actual output from the dialog box(zen I want to smash you argggh)

Refresh Failed: Failed to parse XML metadata: Can't add repository at h**p://ftp-linux.cc.gatech.edu/pub/suse/suse/update/10.1 Cannot create the installation source

Last edited by dasbooter; 07-29-2006 at 06:01 PM.
 
Old 07-29-2006, 05:57 PM   #9
dasbooter
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Posts: 122

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseAgent
There was a problem with the Packman repository. Seems to be working fine now though.
Hmm I rdesktop just like you in xgl, my windows vista buddies had a heart attack when they saw the cube swing around and there was windows. They also made a sound something like duuuhhhwhaaaauuum...
 
Old 07-29-2006, 06:13 PM   #10
spirit receiver
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: Frankfurt, Germany
Distribution: SUSE 10.2
Posts: 424

Rep: Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasbooter
[...] I ask where did you find that out.
http://lists.opensuse.org/archive/op...-Jul/0386.html
 
Old 07-29-2006, 08:05 PM   #11
BruceCadieux
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2002
Location: Wales MA.
Distribution: openSuSE 11.1
Posts: 409

Rep: Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasbooter
Sorry you have 350 some odd posts and been around for along time so I dont mean any disrespect when I ask where did you find that out. I mean, the potential to screw up somebodys system by pulling packages like that seems like a definite possibility why would they pull the packages like that?
I was commenting on the post directly above mine about the KDE 3.5.4 repositories. I updated, they all work great, but then they were pulled down.

The information as to why they were pulled down was on the openSuSE mailing list, you can read it below.

http://lists.opensuse.org/archive/op...-Jul/0386.html
 
Old 07-29-2006, 09:30 PM   #12
EclipseAgent
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: California
Distribution: SLED 10, openSuSE 10.2, Ubuntu Drapper
Posts: 713

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasbooter
Hmm I rdesktop just like you in xgl, my windows vista buddies had a heart attack when they saw the cube swing around and there was windows. They also made a sound something like duuuhhhwhaaaauuum...
That is actually a VMWare Session.. but rdesktop is just as good (although I am a KDE person, I am really trying to get used to Gnome.. I seriously am).

I prefer krdc / akregator / amarok / kaffiene / k3b / kopete to what Gnome offers..

I have not yet really worked with rdesktop.. Maybe i'll try that on Monday.
 
Old 07-30-2006, 11:17 AM   #13
Takezo
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2004
Distribution: SUSE 10.1
Posts: 25

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
It seems to be down.

the repository came back up for a while. Then it went down again.
I would read the news at packman's website, but I can't read german.

But it really does not matter. There are tons of rpms at packman's website. You just got to find all the dependency rpms.

I got mplayer working, xmms playing mp3s, and azureus downloding

Another good rpm source is rpm.pbone.net Got Azureus, xmms-lib-mad from that site.

It's a great RPM search engine for all distros.

Oh Nvidia has a SUSE repository. This is the most easiest way to install nvidia display drivers.

protocol: ftp
address: download.nvidia.com
directory: novell

be sure to type uname -r in console to see which kernel you got, since there are 3 types:

default
smp
bigsmp


I don't know about ATI.

Last edited by Takezo; 07-30-2006 at 11:19 AM.
 
Old 08-03-2006, 11:54 AM   #14
dasbooter
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Posts: 122

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceCadieux
I was commenting on the post directly above mine about the KDE 3.5.4 repositories. I updated, they all work great, but then they were pulled down.

The information as to why they were pulled down was on the openSuSE mailing list, you can read it below.

http://lists.opensuse.org/archive/op...-Jul/0386.html
Thank you no disrespect intended. I upgraded the rest of my packages just yesterday with zen to 3.5.4.

Zen promptly tanked and now I am getting that zmd not running error. ZMD can be started but promptly crashes. I dont think it is related to this last update (shrug) probably related to the hard restart I had to do when I was fooling around with nvclock. I couldnt just let my V card sit there and fry. Long list of journal entries had to be replayed. For now I have gone over to the dark/smart side. I havent been able to find a way to fix zen most posts pertain to when it wasnt running b4 all of the patches were released, my situ. seems a bit different.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Link to Packman Mojojo Suse/Novell 1 12-21-2005 07:12 PM
SUSE 10 and Packman Repos saber41 Suse/Novell 9 11-28-2005 05:29 PM
Packman repository for i386 repsukka Suse/Novell 2 10-22-2005 09:17 AM
Packman repository in YaST? stealthgate Suse/Novell 1 08-27-2005 11:41 PM
problem with packman delos Suse/Novell 1 07-24-2005 04:23 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration