Suse/NovellThis Forum is for the discussion of Suse Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I've tried SuSE 10 RC1 on my Acer Travelmate 800 (The difference is that the TM is a Pentium M with an ATI GPU as the Ferrari has an AMD CPU and Nvidia GPU), SuSE 9.3 was great but SuSE 10 RC1.... don't bother.
After wasting 2 days trying to get multiple stuff to work I gave up and threw the disks in the bin.
Here's just a few of the things I had problems with.
The Intel wireless adapter was detected correctly but no firmware file was included in the distro, even after I supplied the firmware file I could not get any activity out of it despite iwconfig & ifconfig telling me that it was connected, maybe there was a further dependancy issue.
Kpowersave crashed as soon as loading into KDE, despite reinstalling SuSE a second time. Couldn't get it to work at all.
Still the same old multimedia licensing issues are there, I thought with 10RC1 being an open project this might have not been the case, this time it has spread from just xine,mplayer,xine-lib in 9.3 to Kaffeine & Amarok 1.3 too, libdvdcss still needs to be downloaded & installed.
Kinternet doesn't work on either the Ethernet or WiFi NICs, it expects a dial-up connection but there wasn't any way of changing that, it also complained that I wasn't a member of the 'dialup' group even though I was.
Screen DPI settings for my Acer 1400x1050 display needed hacking in 9.3 to stop getting massive fonts even when the correct dimensions and refresh rates where correct... no change in SuSE 10 but the file that I edited has gone or been moved somewhere else in this version, as I couldn't remember what the file was called, I couldn't find out how to fix this issue despite grep-ing everywhere for various 'dpi' phrases.
An odd problem kept occuring in Yast, when I added the Guru Yast source... Yast would add it about 15 times, I'd remove them so that there was one Guru entry left but after a reboot they'd all come back.
There where more messed up stuff but I leave it at that...
Stick to 9.3 until 10 finished and has been out for a while.
Thank you for your reply. Unfortnuatly, I did'nt read it, before I took my chances on 10.0 RC1 - my experience was no better than yours. Could'nt even get a bad x-server running. The graphic drivers could not compile, duo to a wrong version of gcc (it needed 3.6 as i recall, and suse 10.0 came with v4.xx). Though luck.
Now I'm looking forward to Oct. 6. - the final version can only be better. I'll post my experiences here, when I have tried it out, perhaps other people would like to see how it goes.