Hi Snarvey, if you want to install the ATI driver you have to do the following:
1. Open a console terminal, once there type:
this will print your current kernel.
2. Go to YaST -> Software Management, once there search for kernel-source. You have to look now for a package named kernel-source that corresponds to your kernel, something like kernel-source-2.6.*. Check it and then Accept. Now you have the kernel sources.
3. Try again to build the kernel module fglrx, you can use the ATI installer, type:
# sh ati-driver-installer-8.2*.*-***.run
4. You should have fglrx by now, type:
if you see just a prompt, then you have loaded fglrx. Otherwise you'll see some errors. Post them here.
follow the instructions carefully. Choose the "fglrx" driver when asked. Now you are ready to use the driver.
6. Type Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to restart X.
If you have doubts or something goes wrong in one step, don't continue and post here the error or doubts.
Hope this helps