LinuxQuestions.org
LinuxAnswers - the LQ Linux tutorial section.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Suse/Novell
User Name
Password
Suse/Novell This Forum is for the discussion of Suse Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 08-01-2005, 04:40 PM   #1
undeaf
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2005
Distribution: Suse Suse 10.1, Xubuntu 7.1
Posts: 44

Rep: Reputation: 15
"fsck failed. Please repair manually and reboot" after chaning non-system partition


I was replacing partitions with the suse partitioner.

I had 3 primary partitions(swap, / and home) at the begining of my drive and an extended partition at the end. The extended partition contained a 20 gig ext3 partition, a 20 gig reiser partition, and a 70 gig fat32 partition at the end of it. I deleted the fat32 logical partition, and replaced it with a 63 gig reiser partition and a 7 gig fat partition, but after I hit finish it gave some kind of error message about not being able to mount something, (IIRC the 20 gig reiser logical partition). When I rebooted it wouldn't start up normally, these are the last lines after booting:

"Loading console font lat9w-16.psfu -m trivial (K

fsck failed. Please repair manually and reboot. The root
file system is currently mounted read only. To remount it
read write do:

bash# mount -n -o remount,rw /

Attention: Only CONTROL-D will reboot the system in this
maintenance mode. shutdown or reboot will not work.
Give root password fol login:
"

What could be the problem? What should I make sure to avoid doing? What could I do to fix it? Boot from the install CD and use the rescue function? Use a live CD to try to fix it with QTparted?

I haven't touched the / , /home or swap partitions, and I'm not dual booting.

When I replaced 10 and 30 gig fat32 logical partitions with the 20 gig reiser and ext3 ones, the hda* numbers of the logical partitions stopped correlating with their physical order.
 
Old 08-01-2005, 07:27 PM   #2
Simon Bridge
Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Waiheke NZ
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 9,211

Rep: Reputation: 197Reputation: 197
Just because you used standard resizers dosn't mean it worked. The system is telling you you the root file system is suspect.

The system wants you to run fsck -ACV -r (since the root fs is mounted read only -ACRV if you follow instructions to mount read-write)

You can fine tune this - read fsck(8) for details.
 
Old 08-01-2005, 08:43 PM   #3
undeaf
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2005
Distribution: Suse Suse 10.1, Xubuntu 7.1
Posts: 44

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by Simon Bridge
Just because you used standard resizers dosn't mean it worked. The system is telling you you the root file system is suspect.
But I didn't resize anything. I just replaced a partition with two new ones.
 
Old 08-02-2005, 12:07 AM   #4
Simon Bridge
Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Waiheke NZ
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 9,211

Rep: Reputation: 197Reputation: 197
Exactly.
 
Old 08-02-2005, 02:49 AM   #5
JZL240I-U
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2003
Location: Germany
Distribution: openSuSE 13.1 / 12.3_64-KDE, Ubuntu 14.04, Fedora 20, Mint 17, Chakra
Posts: 3,642

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Okay, don't panic, there are several possibilities.

First, you deceide how much control you want.

If you feel unsure, use the rescue function and see what it tells you. You don't have to commit any changes it suggests.

QT-Parted might help but I'm not sure about its repair routines or whether it has any at all.

If you use fschk, you first have to screen the output of the boot-process to find out which partition is really suspect. Depending from the type of file-system on it, fschk has differing options (reiser probably needs a --rebuild-tree, ext3 something else, use the man pages).

The partitions in the extended (logical) partition start with the number 5 (e.g. hdx5). So with only swap, / and home you have no hdx4 partition.

Last edited by JZL240I-U; 08-02-2005 at 02:51 AM.
 
Old 08-04-2005, 03:33 PM   #6
undeaf
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2005
Distribution: Suse Suse 10.1, Xubuntu 7.1
Posts: 44

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by JZL240I-U
If you feel unsure, use the rescue function and see what it tells you. You don't have to commit any changes it suggests.
The rescue function in yast?

Quote:
Originally posted by JZL240I-U
QT-Parted might help but I'm not sure about its repair routines or whether it has any at all.
I was thinking of using it to remove partitions that could be a problem. I'm not anymore since I noticed that I can still use the text mode yast, and that my knoppix CD is damaged.




I tried "fsck -CV /dev/hda1" to "fsck -CV /dev/hda8"

for "fsck -CV /dev/hda2", it said

"Partition /dev/hda2 is mounted with write permisions, cannot check it
fsck.reiserfs /dev/hda2 failed (status 0x10). Run manually!"


hda3, 5, 6 and 8 seemed to be fine

"fsck -CV /dev/hda7" resulted in something about not being able to find a superblock, and said that if there really is a reiser filesystem on the partition, then the superblock is corrupted, and said to add an extra argument to reiserfsck to rebuild the superblock. When I ran that it said
"superblock can't be found
what version of reiser?"


there's nothing on that partition, so I'd prefer to just reformat it with yast.

In the yast partitioner, I noticed that under hda3 the mount point was blank, instead of being /home. Does this mean that that partition just isn't mounted at the moment, or that it's mounting point somehow got changed?

Last edited by undeaf; 08-04-2005 at 03:36 PM.
 
Old 08-04-2005, 04:54 PM   #7
Maldain
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Posts: 112

Rep: Reputation: 15
your mount points will be identified in either fstab or in mtab. Check them both to make sure that you have the correct partitions associated with the correct mount points (at least for tht system).

M. Lacy
Western Tool Supply
 
Old 08-04-2005, 08:23 PM   #8
undeaf
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2005
Distribution: Suse Suse 10.1, Xubuntu 7.1
Posts: 44

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
I formatted hda7 and it now boots properly. That is it started booting, but gave an error message saying it couldn't write to the home directory, apparently yast screwed up some of the other settings and removed the mount points. After I set the hda3 mount point back to /home it booted fine.

When I reset the mount points for hda5 and hda6, hda5 appears to work fine, but hda6 is gone. Apparently somewhere along the line it somehow got changed from ext3 to reiser. I tried changing it from reiser to ext3 in fstab, but that didn't help, it just kept it from booting, with a fsck errer, just like before. So I removed its line from fstab.

What are the chances that I can get that partition back?
 
Old 08-05-2005, 02:20 AM   #9
JZL240I-U
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2003
Location: Germany
Distribution: openSuSE 13.1 / 12.3_64-KDE, Ubuntu 14.04, Fedora 20, Mint 17, Chakra
Posts: 3,642

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally posted by undeaf
The rescue function in yast?
No, I meant booting from the install CD. Just say that you want to install manually, it will detect then an already installed system and asks whether it should try to repair...

Quote:
Originally posted by undeaf
... my knoppix CD is damaged.
Well, you can use SuSE's install CD, see above...

Quote:
Originally posted by undeaf
... for "fsck -CV /dev/hda2", it said

"Partition /dev/hda2 is mounted with write permisions, cannot check it
fsck.reiserfs /dev/hda2 failed (status 0x10). Run manually!"
Yeah well :
Code:
umount /dev/hda2
fsck -CV /dev/hda2
Quote:
Originally posted by undeaf
..."fsck -CV /dev/hda7" resulted in something about not being able to find a superblock, and said that if there really is a reiser filesystem on the partition, then the superblock is corrupted, and said to add an extra argument to reiserfsck to rebuild the superblock. When I ran that it said
"superblock can't be found
what version of reiser?"
Most probably version 3.6. What argument did you use? "--rebuild-tree" would maybe help (man fschk).

LAST POST:

Quote:
Originally posted by undeaf
... Apparently somewhere along the line it somehow got changed from ext3 to reiser. I tried changing it from reiser to ext3 in fstab, but that didn't help, it just kept it from booting, with a fsck errer, just like before. So I removed its line from fstab.

What are the chances that I can get that partition back?
Well if it did get changed, you can use fdisk and reset the file type of the partition with that. fstab won't change anything, it is just a conglomeration of argumets for an automatic mount during boot up (or mount -a).

Last edited by JZL240I-U; 08-05-2005 at 02:21 AM.
 
Old 08-05-2005, 05:52 AM   #10
Simon Bridge
Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Waiheke NZ
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 9,211

Rep: Reputation: 197Reputation: 197
JZL240I-U is your freind.

umount /dev/hda2
fsck -CV /dev/hda2

or

fsck -CRV /dev/hda2

since the fs is mounted read/write.
(see post #2)

if the -A option was included, it wouldn't have been nessisary to step through each partition in turn.

[gloat]
As is seen, even though the software was supposed to be able to resize partition (removing one and adding two in it's place counts) non-destructively, we see that it hasn't. Mountpoints are off, and an additional reiser partition was created.[/gloat]

Doing everything from the rescue CD is, indeed, best.
As the errant partitions come under scrutiny, the solution will present itself.
 
Old 08-05-2005, 10:30 AM   #11
undeaf
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2005
Distribution: Suse Suse 10.1, Xubuntu 7.1
Posts: 44

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by JZL240I-U
umount /dev/hda2
fsck -CV /dev/hda2
I take it's possible to unmount the / partition?

Quote:
Originally posted by JZL240I-U
Most probably version 3.6. What argument did you use? "--rebuild-tree" would maybe help (man fschk).
"--rebuildsb" I think.

Quote:
Originally posted by JZL240I-U
Well if it did get changed, you can use fdisk and reset the file type of the partition with that. fstab won't change anything, it is just a conglomeration of argumets for an automatic mount during boot up (or mount -a).
And after that I'll still have to use a data recovery program to get that partition, or most of it, back?

Quote:
Originally posted by Simon Bridge

[gloat]
As is seen, even though the software was supposed to be able to resize partition (removing one and adding two in it's place counts) non-destructively, we see that it hasn't. Mountpoints are off, and an additional reiser partition was created.[/gloat]
One thing that really annoys me is that it made it difficult to notice when this happened because it hides the filesystem type, and instead just says it's a linux partition. It doesn't make sense, it gives dire warnings that using it is for experts only, but hiddes the complexity.

Quote:
Originally posted by Simon Bridge
Doing everything from the rescue CD is, indeed, best.
If you have some CDRs that aren't garbage.
 
Old 08-07-2005, 11:05 PM   #12
undeaf
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2005
Distribution: Suse Suse 10.1, Xubuntu 7.1
Posts: 44

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Thanks for everything.

I tried testdisk, it didn't find the lost ext3 partition, although it did see one of my original 3 fat32 partitions, which I overwrote a while ago and I filled up the partition I created over it almost completely, so I don't think I have any chance of restoring my lost ext3 partition as a whole, especially by simply changing that partition from reiser to ext3 with fdisk. (Although I'll still try a few more data recovery tools)

In hindsight, I think I should have tried just removing that defective empty partition from etc/fstab instead of formating it.

Last edited by undeaf; 08-07-2005 at 11:10 PM.
 
Old 08-08-2005, 03:12 AM   #13
JZL240I-U
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2003
Location: Germany
Distribution: openSuSE 13.1 / 12.3_64-KDE, Ubuntu 14.04, Fedora 20, Mint 17, Chakra
Posts: 3,642

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally posted by undeaf
I take it's possible to unmount the / partition?
You can. But then the system won't really work anymore. Better to use a live CD.

Quote:
Originally posted by undeaf
"--rebuildsb" I think.
None too exact a disclosure .

Quote:
Originally posted by undeaf
"--And after that I'll still have to use a data recovery program to get that partition, or most of it, back?
No, if your statement in fstab is correct it should work as it is after reboot or you have to mount by hand.

Quote:
Originally posted by undeaf
"--One thing that really annoys me is that it made it difficult to notice when this happened because it hides the filesystem type, and instead just says it's a linux partition. It doesn't make sense, it gives dire warnings that using it is for experts only, but hiddes the complexity.
Dunno what you mean, I never had any problem with it (though I used only in manual mode and told it exactly what I wanted, no proposals by YAST accepted ).

Quote:
Originally posted by undeaf
If you have some CDRs that aren't garbage.
You might download or borrow some?

Quote:
Originally posted by undeaf
I tried testdisk, it didn't find the lost ext3 partition, ...
Houw could it possibly? It is changed to an other type in the partition table...

Quote:
Originally posted by undeaf
In hindsight, I think I should have tried just removing that defective empty partition from etc/fstab instead of formating it.
Then you'd lost the space. Normally it is possible to do what you originally wanted.

Last edited by JZL240I-U; 08-08-2005 at 03:18 AM.
 
Old 08-08-2005, 11:12 AM   #14
undeaf
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2005
Distribution: Suse Suse 10.1, Xubuntu 7.1
Posts: 44

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by JZL240I-U
You might download or borrow some?
I meant the physical CDR media.

Quote:
Originally posted by JZL240I-U
Houw could it possibly? It is changed to an other type in the partition table...
But it saw a long ago erased and overwriten fat32 partition. I think it might have even seen my old ext3 / partition which I replaced with a reiser / partition.

Quote:
Originally posted by JZL240I-U
Then you'd lost the space. Normally it is possible to do what you originally wanted.
No, I meant to put off dealing with it until I understand it better.
 
Old 08-09-2005, 02:21 AM   #15
JZL240I-U
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2003
Location: Germany
Distribution: openSuSE 13.1 / 12.3_64-KDE, Ubuntu 14.04, Fedora 20, Mint 17, Chakra
Posts: 3,642

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally posted by undeaf
I meant the physical CDR media.
Sure. You download an .iso image and burn it to a CD to be used as I proposed ... or I fail to understand your problem.

Quote:
Originally posted by undeaf
But it saw a long ago erased and overwriten fat32 partition.
Sure. The partition table is not zeroed out when you delete / erase something. Just the boundaries of the other partitions are adjusted.

Quote:
Originally posted by undeaf
I think it might have even seen my old ext3 / partition which I replaced with a reiser / partition.
Whoa here. What did you do? If you replaced an ext3 with reiser actively from within YAST it is formatted. If just the type of partition was changed (e.g. with fdisk) you can change it back and maybe save your data.

Quote:
Originally posted by undeaf
No, I meant to put off dealing with it until I understand it better.
But this is how you learn best, i.e. with an actual mistake. Just give it a try .
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Error loading operating system" upon first reboot after install Unforgiver Linux - Newbie 4 01-03-2012 03:42 AM
Fsck failed. Please repair manually and reboot. jginger Suse/Novell 4 10-23-2005 01:44 PM
"make clean" caused system freeze, kernel panic on reboot jwhill2000 Linux - General 3 02-08-2005 07:59 PM
Upgrade to c3 causes system to reboot when you click the "View" menu on a window. wellsa Fedora 1 12-21-2004 11:42 AM
Redhat 9 system displays "Boot Failed" pwalden Red Hat 8 03-31-2004 02:22 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:42 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration