LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Solaris / OpenSolaris (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/solaris-opensolaris-20/)
-   -   ZFS Encryption in Solaris 10 06/06? (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/solaris-opensolaris-20/zfs-encryption-in-solaris-10-06-06-a-463494/)

as400 07-12-2006 09:19 PM

ZFS Encryption in Solaris 10 06/06?
 
This new release will have the ZFS Encryption. Which means that partitions and drives can be encrypted.

But when installing this new release, what will I have to do during the partitioning part in order to use this ZFS Encryption scheme??? Esp. when dual-booting with Windows 2000?

And also, suppose I have a folder named "ACCOUNTING" that I will have sensitive data in that folder, so how would I implement the ZFS on that folder? How would I encrypt it?

I need this thread to be flowing please...I dont have that much time.

Thanks

jlliagre 07-13-2006 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by as400
This new release will have the ZFS Encryption.

AFAIK, it doesn't.
ZFS encryption is not available in Solaris 10 and is only an ongoing OpenSolaris project at this time.

as400 07-13-2006 12:51 PM

So what does the release 6/06 mean then?? What advantages does that have? SO you mean I downloaded that for nothing???

Does that release will have more hardware support for the millionth time???

jlliagre 07-13-2006 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by as400
So what does the release 6/06 mean then??

Already answered, please read the relevant posted link.
Quote:

What advantages does that have?
Same as the above.
Quote:

SO you mean I downloaded that for nothing???
I don't, unless the only feature you were expecting was zfs encryption.
Quote:

Does that release will have more hardware support for the millionth time???
Already answered the same number of times: yes it does (nor will, as it is released) support more h/w.

as400 07-13-2006 04:50 PM

So just to confirm one more time...

The Solaris 10 Release 6/06 will have more hardware support? Espcecially for X86 PCs?

jlliagre 07-13-2006 05:20 PM

No, it already has more h/w support.

as400 07-13-2006 10:04 PM

What do you mean by "NO"? Does it have more HArdware support than my current release of Solaris 10?

And ZFS...I am just reading on it. But during the installation partitioning part, will I get to choose ZFS, or will it automatically have the ZFS feature once I partition? And does ZFS has to do with securing folders and files or partitions? I dont understand fully.

thanks

jlliagre 07-14-2006 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by as400
What do you mean by "NO"?

I just meant your statement was gramatically incorrect.
You cannot use the future tense, which expresses an action or situation that will occur in the future, for something that is already a fact since more than a couple of weeks.
Quote:

Does it have more HArdware support than my current release of Solaris 10?
It has indeed.
Quote:

And ZFS...I am just reading on it. But during the installation partitioning part, will I get to choose ZFS
No, you won't.
Quote:

or will it automatically have the ZFS feature once I partition?
The root file-system still need to be UFS, so there is no change there.
The new feature is that you will be able to create zfs pools and filesystems from there on free slices, partition and/or disks.
Quote:

And does ZFS has to do with securing folders and files or partitions?
Data integrity is one of the main zfs features.
You cannot have a silent file corruption with ZFS.

http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/...ing_center.jsp

as400 07-14-2006 04:41 PM

jlliagre,

Thanks as always...You have been a great help...I actually downloaded the new release and I will install it who knows when...I will read the article more about it. And I am glad to that this new release will have more hardware support. Its about time.

ANd another thing, will this new release have the Trusted SOlaris extensions in it??

jlliagre 07-14-2006 05:46 PM

They are currently only available for Solaris Express.
http://www.opensolaris.org/os/commun...y/projects/tx/

as400 07-15-2006 04:55 AM

WOW WOW WOW...Im excited by this already...But one problem...Can you please please please post the direct download of this please? And also, a few more questions regarding this....

1. Does this support the Intel X86 PCs or not??

2. Will the installation process be similar to the Solaris 10 that I first installed on my PC? In other words, will the installer have the same GUI installation like in the regular release of Solaris 10?

3. Can it dual-boot with Windows 2000? ( I dont think that I have to worry about this part, because I have System Commander)

4. And....WIll this be more Hardware friendlier as the Solaris 10 for X86??

Please....If all of the questions fits my needs...I may download this too...Just please post on where can I download this TRUSTED SOLARIS EXTENSION EXPRESS from...I already had registered so Im ready to download it onto a CD...NOT a DVD because SOlaris had trouble with my DVD ROM Drive....So please tell me where can I download this Trusted Express version of Solaris please...I always wanted a Trusted UNIX OS...

And last question - IS THIS FREE?? Or, do I have to pay for this? Is this expensive??

EDIT EDIT EDIT >>>>

OOOPS!!!! I just read the download/Installation page...Problemo....It says it needs to be BUILT!!!! Forget it...I thought it was like the regular version were you just installed and thats it...Ummmmm...I dont know...It looks hard if I have to compile or build it in order to install..

as400 07-15-2006 04:56 PM

So where and how can I download this Trusted Extensions for Solaris? DO I need to build or comppile it in order for it to be installed?? Take a look at this. I really want to download this. But if I really have to build it, I will not mess with it since its complicated. I just want to keep things simple.
http://www.gcn.com/online/vol1_no1/37225-1.html

jlliagre 07-15-2006 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by as400
WOW WOW WOW...Im excited by this already...But one problem...Can you please please please post the direct download of this please? And also, a few more questions regarding this....

1. Does this support the Intel X86 PCs or not??

Of course it does.
Quote:

2. Will the installation process be similar to the Solaris 10 that I first installed on my PC? In other words, will the installer have the same GUI installation like in the regular release of Solaris 10?
It is an extension you add after installing Solaris.
Quote:

3. Can it dual-boot with Windows 2000? ( I dont think that I have to worry about this part, because I have System Commander)
I see no reason it won't, and anyway dual booting is supported out of the box without the need of system commander or whatever.
Quote:

4. And....WIll this be more Hardware friendlier as the Solaris 10 for X86??
Can you elaborate about your H/W issues with Solaris ?
Quote:

Please....If all of the questions fits my needs...I may download this too...Just please post on where can I download this TRUSTED SOLARIS EXTENSION EXPRESS from...I already had registered so Im ready to download it onto a CD...NOT a DVD because SOlaris had trouble with my DVD ROM Drive....So please tell me where can I download this Trusted Express version of Solaris please...I always wanted a Trusted UNIX OS...

And last question - IS THIS FREE?? Or, do I have to pay for this? Is this expensive??
It looks to me all OpenSolaris projects are free.
Quote:

EDIT EDIT EDIT >>>>

OOOPS!!!! I just read the download/Installation page...Problemo....It says it needs to be BUILT!!!! Forget it...I thought it was like the regular version were you just installed and thats it...Ummmmm...I dont know...It looks hard if I have to compile or build it in order to install..
I don't read that. The documentation says just to install some extra packages.
However, these packages are bundled with Solaris Express build 42a, which isn't yet available (current one is build 41).

Edit:
Correction, build 42a is in fact already available:
http://javashoplm.sun.com/ECom/docs/...nsactionId=try

make 04-02-2007 06:25 AM

I've started to use OpenSolaris on some PC's of mine recently. Now I want to encrypt my /home- and swap-partitions, just like I do on Mac OS X, Linux and *BSD.

Is there any way to do this? If not, it probably drives me away from Solaris to FreeBSD on these PC's. Sure, I can NFS-mount remote (encrypted) partitions from a Linux-PC and disable swap on Solaris, but for obvious reasons this is not a perfect solution for a heavily strained computer.

Therefore, I hope these is a way to encrypt hard drive under Solaris? Google didn't bring up anything useful.

jlliagre 04-03-2007 05:21 AM

This is a work in progress, have a look here:

http://www.opensolaris.org/os/project/zfs-crypto/
http://www.opensolaris.org/os/project/loficc/


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:47 PM.