LinuxQuestions.org
Go Job Hunting at the LQ Job Marketplace
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Other *NIX Forums > Solaris / OpenSolaris
User Name
Password
Solaris / OpenSolaris This forum is for the discussion of Solaris and OpenSolaris.
General Sun, SunOS and Sparc related questions also go here.

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 06-06-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
piyush128k
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2012
Posts: 65
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Want to install CUPS on Sun 10 VM. Not able to install GCC 3.4.6 version


Sun is like some alien language for me. I don't have any books or so but searching on web and downloading manuals is how i am learning. Rather it is on the job i learn. Summer job that is. I was stuck for a long time to get the to the OK Prompt during the install of Sun 10. Now i am trying to install CUPS and am sure i will get stuck many places. Right now i have download gcc-3.4.6.tar.gz and not sure how to install it. On ther web people have given diff command and some say i have to create directories and some say i dont. Getting confused.. Please help. What are the commands? i have some but just want to interact from professional
 
Old 06-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #2
piyush128k
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2012
Posts: 65
Blog Entries: 1

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I have created the gcc folder with path as usr/lib/gcc and now i tped the command tar -xvf gcc-3.4.6.tar.gz and gives me the error:- tar:directory checksum error.
When i do #which gcc is says: no gcc in /usr/sbin /use/bin.
What does it mean..i know it is not installed but should i created the directories in /usr/sbin and usr/bin or will the gcc command to install gcc do everything.
pkginfo -x | grep -i gcc gives:-
SUNWgcc gcc - The GNU C compiler
SunWgccruntime GCC Runtime Libraries
However when i types :- #pkgchk -lp /usr/sfw/bin/gcc gave:-
NOTE: couildn't lock the package database
pathername: /usr/sfw/bin/gcc
Typed: linked file
Source of the link:../../../usr/sfw/bin/i386-pc-solaris2.10-gcc-3.4.3
Referenced by the following packages:
SUNWgcc
Current status:installed
But #gcc-v gives:-
gcc:not found

Now is it installed in advanced but a lower version or am i really loosing it?
Am not either sure what is the actual command. Any help people?
 
Old 06-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
piyush128k
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2012
Posts: 65
Blog Entries: 1

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
OKAY!

This is what i did from my common sense...and hope i get more...hehehe
#cd / (i typed cd / so i can make sure that i am at the root directory)
#su ( as i typed "su", (super user) it immediately asked for the password and i gave it. it got me back to the # )
Then i types the two commands below:-
#gunzip gcc-3.4.6.tar.gz (hit enter...it did something positive)
#tar -xvf gcc-3.4.6.tar (hit enter and this one really did something positive for a real long time)
I hope GCC is installed but when i do the below command
#which gcc ( this is what is give in return) :- no gcc /usr/sbin /usr/bin
Anyway, I think it was installed though the command above says, "NO IT IS NOT INSTALLED YOU FOOL!" hehehe
Now it is time to install the filter file like PNG, JPEG, TIFF, ZLIB....and the other thing is that how to get"./configure" to run.
Lets see what i able to come up with.

Last edited by piyush128k; 06-07-2012 at 11:10 AM.
 
Old 06-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
_sa_
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2012
Distribution: OpenIndiana, OSX, Solaris 10, Solaris 11, OEL, Centos, Slackware, Ubuntu
Posts: 22

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by piyush128k View Post
OKAY!

This is what i did from my common sense...and hope i get more...hehehe
#cd / (i typed cd / so i can make sure that i am at the root directory)
#su ( as i typed "su", (super user) it immediately asked for the password and i gave it. it got me back to the # )
Then i types the two commands below:-
#gunzip gcc-3.4.6.tar.gz (hit enter...it did something positive)
#tar -xvf gcc-3.4.6.tar (hit enter and this one really did something positive for a real long time)
I hope GCC is installed but when i do the below command
#which gcc ( this is what is give in return) :- no gcc /usr/sbin /usr/bin
Anyway, I think it was installed though the command above says, "NO IT IS NOT INSTALLED YOU FOOL!" hehehe
Now it is time to install the filter file like PNG, JPEG, TIFF, ZLIB....and the other thing is that how to get"./configure" to run.
Lets see what i able to come up with.
I am not sure if your install of Solaris 10 came with a compiler, because I do not know what clusters you installed. If there was no compiler installed, then that means that you won't be able to compile gcc, which it appears you are trying to do. I would suggest using the packages on Sun Freeware to install GCC; it will make your life immensely easier. You may also be able to find CUPS on there, but I am not sure about that as I don't use CUPS.

http://www.sunfreeware.com/indexintel10.html

Just make sure that you install all of the prereq's for gcc, and any pertinent prereq's for the prereq's. I know it sounds kind of confusing, but just follow the bouncing ball. Every package on Sun Freeware lists the prereq packages that it needs, and even includes the links to those packages. You will also need to update your path appropriately:
Code:
$export PATH=$PATH;/usr/sfw/bin;/usr/sfw/sbin
And you may need to update your LD Library path as well:

Code:
root@calvin ~]# crle

Configuration file [version 4]: /var/ld/ld.config  
  Platform:     32-bit LSB 80386
  Default Library Path (ELF):   /lib:/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib
  Trusted Directories (ELF):    /lib/secure:/usr/lib/secure  (system default)

Command line:
  crle -c /var/ld/ld.config -l /lib:/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib


root@calvin ~]# crle -c /var/ld/ld.config -l /lib:/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/sfw/lib
Also make sure that you are downloading the packages, and not the source code. You will be unable to compile code since you don't have a compiler (at least thats what it seems like)

Last edited by _sa_; 06-07-2012 at 11:58 AM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:37 PM   #5
piyush128k
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2012
Posts: 65
Blog Entries: 1

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Some places i have seen on the web that is either wrong or not completely described. I know much description is not there in linux or even programming to take for example. So far there is a folder of gcc 3 4 6 created in the root directory and till now #which gcc gives no gcc in /usr/sbin /usr/bin. Also #gcc --version gives gcc: not found. Am going crazy. #tar -xvf gcc-3.4.6.tar does whole lot of things and at the end says "installed".
GCC should be installed in /usr/sfw/bin and for that you first need to set the path like #PATH=$PATH:/usr/sfw/bin. So i did that and ran #tar -xvf gcc-3.4.6.tar but that site also said that it should also be installed in /usr/local/bin and for that u must add the path. Well then i did #PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin and ran #tar -xvf gcc-3.4.6.tar. It sis the same things and i still get #which gcc gives no gcc in /usr/sbin /usr/bin. Also #gcc --version gives gcc: not found. WOW!
I believe "SA" user has replied to my question. Let me take a look on that now.
 
Old 06-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #6
piyush128k
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2012
Posts: 65
Blog Entries: 1

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
just came to know that i was installing wrong gcc version of 3.4.6. I wanted 64 bit so it should be gcc 3.4.3. So re-downloading. Either Windows administration is much easier or because i have worked on it for years whatever it is, this linix and unix why they cannot further simplify things especially in the command prompt and their manuals. I read the actual sun manual..... somethings are not to the point or not mentioned. People who want to migrate to this platforms have difficulties and several questions as compared to what they have been working on. Frustrated..yes I am but it is expected. Human nature when not able to figure out. Either leave or keeping going on. So guess what am i doing....on..and on..and on. Phhmmmwwwppphhh!
 
Old 06-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
piyush128k
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2012
Posts: 65
Blog Entries: 1

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Thanks to "SA" user #crle command...I dont need 64bit. I can continue to stick to gcc 3.4.6. Cool!

# crle

Default Configuration file [version 4]: /var/ld/ld.config => "not found" (REST OF IT BELOW IS THE SAME)
Platform: 32-bit LSB 80386
Default Library Path (ELF): /lib:/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib
Trusted Directories (ELF): /lib/secure:/usr/lib/secure (system default)
 
Old 06-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #8
piyush128k
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2012
Posts: 65
Blog Entries: 1

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
#pkgchk -vlp /usr/sfw/bin/gcc "give the output as below"
Pathname: /usr/sfw/bin/gcc
Type: linked file
Source of link: ../../../usr/sfw/bin/i386-pc-solaris2.10-gcc-3.4.3
Referenced by the following packages:
SUNWgcc
Current status: installed


#pkginfo -x | grep -i gcc "give me the output as below"
SUNWgcc gcc - The GNU C compiler
SUNWgccruntime GCC Runtime libraries

Despite this
#gcc -v "give the output as"
gcc -v: not found


Now where in the world and what, before and after, right or wrong, installed or not, am i suppose to do. I am literally going in circles. I dont know what am doing. I know what the command will do but. Having incomplete information is really dangerous.

Can anyone for crying out loud Share with me in to the detail, step by step, word by word, syntax command by command share the steps to install CUPS with every pre-requisite shared and explain. Please don't start like SUN in their manual. " Install this file, that file and now you can finally execute the command for installing CUPS"

I am not trying to prove anything to anyone but myself and i seem to be loosing the grip here but still sitting on my chair and my VMs.
 
Old 06-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #9
honeybadger
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2007
Location: India
Distribution: Slackware (mainly) and then a lot of others...
Posts: 855

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Umm. sorry if this seems abit out of the box but it sure has some chance of working. I can suggest a workaround here. The first thing I would do here is look for a biarly compiler line cint (it is good) but I do not know if it would compile something as complicated as C (assuming you do not have a compiler). I belive with solaris the c compiler is called gas. Gosh, that is why I stick with Linux. If you can work this around I think you have a chance of getting at something. Also make sure that you use the usual man -k comiler etc to make sure if you have any compiler installed.
Hope this helps.
A far as cint is concerned I believe it would be a lot easier compling cups than gcc.

Last edited by honeybadger; 06-07-2012 at 02:33 PM.
 
Old 06-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #10
_sa_
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2012
Distribution: OpenIndiana, OSX, Solaris 10, Solaris 11, OEL, Centos, Slackware, Ubuntu
Posts: 22

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by piyush128k View Post
#pkgchk -vlp /usr/sfw/bin/gcc "give the output as below"
Pathname: /usr/sfw/bin/gcc
Type: linked file
Source of link: ../../../usr/sfw/bin/i386-pc-solaris2.10-gcc-3.4.3
Referenced by the following packages:
SUNWgcc
Current status: installed


#pkginfo -x | grep -i gcc "give me the output as below"
SUNWgcc gcc - The GNU C compiler
SUNWgccruntime GCC Runtime libraries

Despite this
#gcc -v "give the output as"
gcc -v: not found
try the following and post the output:

Code:
/bin/find / -name gcc*
You probably do not have gcc in your path, so you will need to specify the full path to gcc, or you will need to update your environment depending on where the find command returns the path to gcc to be., i.e

Code:
$export PATH=$PATH;/usr/sfw/bin;/usr/sfw/sbin
Quote:
Originally Posted by piyush128k View Post
Either Windows administration is much easier or because i have worked on it for years whatever it is, this linix and unix why they cannot further simplify things especially in the command prompt and their manuals. I read the actual sun manual.....
*nix operating systems are more straightforward then windosw IMHO. It takes a little bit of getting used to before things start to make sense. But that is the same no matter what OS you are talking about. I find Windows to be a terribly laid out system, that overcomplicates the simplest things. That is the reason that I always wanted to become a *nix admin, and not a windows admin.
 
Old 06-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #11
_sa_
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2012
Distribution: OpenIndiana, OSX, Solaris 10, Solaris 11, OEL, Centos, Slackware, Ubuntu
Posts: 22

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by piyush128k View Post
#pkgchk -vlp /usr/sfw/bin/gcc "give the output as below"
Pathname: /usr/sfw/bin/gcc
Type: linked file
Source of link: ../../../usr/sfw/bin/i386-pc-solaris2.10-gcc-3.4.3
Referenced by the following packages:
SUNWgcc
Current status: installed


#pkginfo -x | grep -i gcc "give me the output as below"
SUNWgcc gcc - The GNU C compiler
SUNWgccruntime GCC Runtime libraries

Despite this
#gcc -v "give the output as"
gcc -v: not found


Now where in the world and what, before and after, right or wrong, installed or not, am i suppose to do. I am literally going in circles. I dont know what am doing. I know what the command will do but. Having incomplete information is really dangerous.

Can anyone for crying out loud Share with me in to the detail, step by step, word by word, syntax command by command share the steps to install CUPS with every pre-requisite shared and explain. Please don't start like SUN in their manual. " Install this file, that file and now you can finally execute the command for installing CUPS"

I am not trying to prove anything to anyone but myself and i seem to be loosing the grip here but still sitting on my chair and my VMs.
Also if you are only doing VM's, then why are you using solaris 10? are you bound to that distribution? I would say try Open Indiana, which is the open source version of Solaris 11. Installing CUPS on OI is cake:

Code:
$ pkg search cups
INDEX           ACTION VALUE                                              PACKAGE
description     set    CUPS (Runtime Libraries)                           pkg:/library/print/cups-libs@1.4.2-0.151.1.4
description     set    Print Manager for CUPS                             pkg:/print/cups/system-config-printer@0.5.11-0.151.1.4
description     set    Python language bindings for CUPS                  pkg:/library/python-2/pycups@1.9.46-0.151.1.4
description     set    GTK+ - GIMP toolkit libraries - CUPS Print Backend pkg:/library/desktop/gtk2/gtk-backend-cups@0.5.11-0.151.1.4
pkg.description set    Automatic queue creation for CUPS                  pkg:/print/cups/hal-cups-utils@0.6.19-0.151.1.4
pkg.description set    Print Manager for CUPS                             pkg:/print/cups/system-config-printer@0.5.11-0.151.1.4
pkg.description set    Python language bindings for CUPS                  pkg:/library/python-2/pycups@1.9.46-0.151.1.4
pkg.description set    GTK+ - GIMP toolkit libraries - CUPS Print Backend pkg:/library/desktop/gtk2/gtk-backend-cups@0.5.11-0.151.1.4
pkg.summary     set    CUPS (Runtime Libraries)                           pkg:/library/print/cups-libs@1.4.2-0.151.1.4
pkg.summary     set    Print Manager for CUPS                             pkg:/print/cups/system-config-printer@0.5.11-0.151.1.4
pkg.summary     set    Python language bindings for CUPS                  pkg:/library/python-2/pycups@1.9.46-0.151.1.4
pkg.summary     set    GTK+ - GIMP toolkit libraries - CUPS Print Backend pkg:/library/desktop/gtk2/gtk-backend-cups@0.5.11-0.151.1.4
basename        dir    usr/lib/cups                                       pkg:/print/cups/hal-cups-utils@0.6.19-0.151.1.4
basename        dir    usr/lib/cups                                       pkg:/print/filter/gutenprint@5.2.4-0.151.1.4
basename        dir    usr/share/cups                                     pkg:/print/filter/gutenprint@5.2.4-0.151.1.4
basename        dir    etc/cups                                           pkg:/print/filter/ghostscript@8.64-0.151.1.4
basename        dir    usr/lib/cups                                       pkg:/print/filter/ghostscript@8.64-0.151.1.4
basename        dir    usr/share/cups                                     pkg:/print/filter/ghostscript@8.64-0.151.1.4
basename        dir    usr/lib/cups                                       pkg:/print/filter/hplip@3.9.8-0.151.1.4
basename        dir    usr/share/cups                                     pkg:/print/filter/hplip@3.9.8-0.151.1.4
basename        dir    usr/share/cups                                     pkg:/print/cups/filter/foomatic-db@0.20080903-0.151.1.4
basename        dir    etc/cups                                           pkg:/print/cups@1.4.2-0.151.1.4
basename        dir    usr/include/cups                                   pkg:/print/cups@1.4.2-0.151.1.4
basename        dir    usr/lib/cups                                       pkg:/print/cups@1.4.2-0.151.1.4
basename        dir    usr/share/cups                                     pkg:/print/cups@1.4.2-0.151.1.4
basename        dir    usr/share/doc/cups                                 pkg:/print/cups@1.4.2-0.151.1.4
basename        dir    var/cache/cups                                     pkg:/print/cups@1.4.2-0.151.1.4
basename        dir    var/log/cups                                       pkg:/print/cups@1.4.2-0.151.1.4
basename        dir    var/spool/cups                                     pkg:/print/cups@1.4.2-0.151.1.4
basename        dir    usr/lib/cups                                       pkg:/print/cups/filter/foomatic-db-engine@0.20080903-0.151.1.4
basename        dir    usr/lib/cups                                       pkg:/print/lp/filter/foomatic-rip@3.0.2-0.151.1.4
basename        file   etc/security/auth_attr.d/cups                      pkg:/print/cups@1.4.2-0.151.1.4
basename        file   etc/security/prof_attr.d/cups                      pkg:/print/cups@1.4.2-0.151.1.4
pkg.fmri        set    openindiana.org/print/cups                         pkg:/print/cups@1.4.2-0.151.1.4

$ pkg install pkg:/print/cups@1.4.2-0.151.1.4
that is all you would need to do if using Open Indiana.
 
Old 06-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #12
piyush128k
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2012
Posts: 65
Blog Entries: 1

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
# /bin/find / -name gcc*
/usr/sfw/lib/gcc
/usr/sfw/bin/gccbug
/usr/sfw/bin/gcc
/usr/sfw/share/man/man1/gcc.1
/usr/sfw/share/info/gcc.info
/usr/sfw/share/info/gccinstall.info
/usr/sfw/share/info/gccint.info
/usr/sfw/libexec/gcc
/usr/sfw/mysql/mysql-test/r/gcc296.result
/usr/sfw/mysql/mysql-test/t/gcc296.test
/gcc-3.4.6
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/po/gcc.pot
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/doc/gcc.1
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/doc/gccinstall.info
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/doc/include/gcc-common.texi
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/doc/gcc.info
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/doc/gcc.texi
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/doc/gccint.info
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/doc/gccint.texi
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/gcc.c
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/gcc.h
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/gccbug.in
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/gccspec.c
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/testsuite/ada/acats/tests/gcc
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/testsuite/lib/gcc.exp
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/testsuite/lib/gcc-dg.exp
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/testsuite/lib/gcc-defs.exp
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/testsuite/gcc.c-torture
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/test suite/gcc.misc-tests
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/testsuite/gcc.test-framework
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/testsuite/gcc.dg
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/testsuite/gcc.dg/format/gcc_diag-1.c
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/testsuite/gcc.dg/format/gcc_diag-2.c
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/testsuite/gcc.dg/format/gcc_diag-3.c
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/testsuite/gcc.dg/format/gcc_diag-4.c
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/testsuite/gcc.dg/format/gcc_diag-5.c
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/testsuite/gcc.dg/format/gcc_diag-6.c
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/testsuite/gcc.dg/format/gcc_diag-7.c
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/testsuite/gcc.dg/format/gcc_diag-8.c
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/testsuite/gcc.dg/format/gcc_diag-9.c
/gcc-3.4.6/contrib/gcc_update
/gcc-3.4.6/contrib/gcc_build
/gcc-3.4.6/contrib/gccbug.el
/gcc-3.4.6/maintainer-scripts/gcc_release
/gcc-3.4.6/config/gcc-lib-path.m4
/gcc-3.4.6/boehm-gc/gcc_support.c
/gcc-3.4.6/boehm-gc/include/private/gcconfig.h
/gcc-3.4.6.tar
#
# $export PATH=$PATH;/usr/sfw/bin;/usr/sfw/sbin
PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin: not found
/usr/sfw/bin: cannot execute
/usr/sfw/sbin: cannot execute
# $export PATH=$PATH;/usr/sfw/bin
PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin: not found
/usr/sfw/bin: cannot execute
# ls
5bin bin java oasys pub tmp
X ccs jdk old sadm ucb
X11 demo kernel openwin sbin ucbinclude
X11R6 dict kvm perl5 sfw ucblib
adm dt lib pgadmin3 share vmsys
apache games mail platform snadm xpg4
apache2 gnome man postgres spool xpg6
appserver include net preserve src
aset j2se news proc sunvts
# cd /
# ls
@LongLink lib
Desktop libpng-1.0.6.tar.gz
Documents lost+found
bin mnt
boot net
cups-1.6b1-source.tar.bz2 opt
cups-1.6b1-source.tar.gz platform
dev proc
devices sbin
etc system
export tiff-v3.4-tar.gz
gcc-3.4.6 tmp
gcc-3.4.6.tar usr
home var
jpegsrc.v6b.tar.gz vol
kernel zlib-1.1.3.tar.gz
# $export PATH=$PATH;/usr/sfw/bin
PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin: not found
/usr/sfw/bin: cannot execute
#

User"SA" a Sun 10 Server, which is not able to print to thru CUPS. guys here are not able to figure it out. I took it up. Cant do much on a production server so in the mean while, i said why not install the same version on VM and install CUPS then probably i would get a better understanding and be able to resolve the problem on that production sun 10 server with much less difficulty.
 
Old 06-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #13
_sa_
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2012
Distribution: OpenIndiana, OSX, Solaris 10, Solaris 11, OEL, Centos, Slackware, Ubuntu
Posts: 22

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by piyush128k View Post
# /bin/find / -name gcc*
/usr/sfw/lib/gcc
/usr/sfw/bin/gccbug
/usr/sfw/bin/gcc
/usr/sfw/share/man/man1/gcc.1
/usr/sfw/share/info/gcc.info
/usr/sfw/share/info/gccinstall.info
/usr/sfw/share/info/gccint.info
/usr/sfw/libexec/gcc
/usr/sfw/mysql/mysql-test/r/gcc296.result
/usr/sfw/mysql/mysql-test/t/gcc296.test
/gcc-3.4.6
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/po/gcc.pot
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/doc/gcc.1
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/doc/gccinstall.info
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/doc/include/gcc-common.texi
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/doc/gcc.info
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/doc/gcc.texi
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/doc/gccint.info
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/doc/gccint.texi
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/gcc.c
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/gcc.h
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/gccbug.in
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/gccspec.c
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/testsuite/ada/acats/tests/gcc
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/testsuite/lib/gcc.exp
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/testsuite/lib/gcc-dg.exp
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/testsuite/lib/gcc-defs.exp
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/testsuite/gcc.c-torture
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/test suite/gcc.misc-tests
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/testsuite/gcc.test-framework
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/testsuite/gcc.dg
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/testsuite/gcc.dg/format/gcc_diag-1.c
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/testsuite/gcc.dg/format/gcc_diag-2.c
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/testsuite/gcc.dg/format/gcc_diag-3.c
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/testsuite/gcc.dg/format/gcc_diag-4.c
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/testsuite/gcc.dg/format/gcc_diag-5.c
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/testsuite/gcc.dg/format/gcc_diag-6.c
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/testsuite/gcc.dg/format/gcc_diag-7.c
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/testsuite/gcc.dg/format/gcc_diag-8.c
/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/testsuite/gcc.dg/format/gcc_diag-9.c
/gcc-3.4.6/contrib/gcc_update
/gcc-3.4.6/contrib/gcc_build
/gcc-3.4.6/contrib/gccbug.el
/gcc-3.4.6/maintainer-scripts/gcc_release
/gcc-3.4.6/config/gcc-lib-path.m4
/gcc-3.4.6/boehm-gc/gcc_support.c
/gcc-3.4.6/boehm-gc/include/private/gcconfig.h
/gcc-3.4.6.tar
#
# $export PATH=$PATH;/usr/sfw/bin;/usr/sfw/sbin
PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin: not found
/usr/sfw/bin: cannot execute
/usr/sfw/sbin: cannot execute
# $export PATH=$PATH;/usr/sfw/bin
PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin: not found
/usr/sfw/bin: cannot execute
# ls
5bin bin java oasys pub tmp
X ccs jdk old sadm ucb
X11 demo kernel openwin sbin ucbinclude
X11R6 dict kvm perl5 sfw ucblib
adm dt lib pgadmin3 share vmsys
apache games mail platform snadm xpg4
apache2 gnome man postgres spool xpg6
appserver include net preserve src
aset j2se news proc sunvts
# cd /
# ls
@LongLink lib
Desktop libpng-1.0.6.tar.gz
Documents lost+found
bin mnt
boot net
cups-1.6b1-source.tar.bz2 opt
cups-1.6b1-source.tar.gz platform
dev proc
devices sbin
etc system
export tiff-v3.4-tar.gz
gcc-3.4.6 tmp
gcc-3.4.6.tar usr
home var
jpegsrc.v6b.tar.gz vol
kernel zlib-1.1.3.tar.gz
# $export PATH=$PATH;/usr/sfw/bin
PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin: not found
/usr/sfw/bin: cannot execute
#

User"SA" a Sun 10 Server, which is not able to print to thru CUPS. guys here are not able to figure it out. I took it up. Cant do much on a production server so in the mean while, i said why not install the same version on VM and install CUPS then probably i would get a better understanding and be able to resolve the problem on that production sun 10 server with much less difficulty.
I am sorry, i told you the wrong way to set the path, you just need to do:

Code:
$ PATH=$PATH:/usr/sfw/bin
That should set your path appropriately. Then run a
Code:
$which gcc
It should then return:

Code:
/usr/sfw/bin/gcc

Last edited by _sa_; 06-07-2012 at 04:14 PM.
 
Old 06-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #14
piyush128k
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2012
Posts: 65
Blog Entries: 1

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I mentioned that i did that before and it worked but after you told me the first time hence i did it again and it gave an error if you read my earlier thread. The command you gave was wrong, thats right but i later typed the correct one and had pasted the output. I have done it again. Please check.

# $ PATH=$PATH:/usr/sfw/bin
$: not found
# $PATH=$PATH:/usr/sfw/bin
/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sfw/bin: not found
# $which gcc
gcc: not found
#
 
Old 06-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #15
piyush128k
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2012
Posts: 65
Blog Entries: 1

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
# PATH=$PATH:/usr/sfw/bin
# export PATH
# which gcc
/usr/sfw/bin/gcc
# gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 3.4.3 (csl-sol210-3_4-branch+sol_rpath)
Copyright (C) 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

This gcc is the default one which was installed when sun 10 was installed but this is not gcc 3.4.6. thats cool. now since this i think proves that the gcc compiler is installed hence i dont need to install the libraries like png, jpeg, tiff, zlib anymore?
Is mmy next step to now execute the cups command package but for that dont i need to use #./configure . This damn thing does not work. Let me check again..
#./configure gives output
./configure: not found

Last edited by piyush128k; 06-07-2012 at 05:08 PM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to install gcc version 3 biplabbijay Suse/Novell 8 03-24-2010 12:58 AM
How to create/install a custom CUPS version jpostma Slackware 1 07-25-2007 07:57 PM
Install or not install newest GCC version on Solaris 10. Zepiroth Solaris / OpenSolaris 6 05-26-2006 03:42 AM
How do I install an old version of gcc thorney Linux - Newbie 1 11-25-2005 01:10 AM
How to install old Gcc version ? vasilakis Linux - Newbie 5 06-10-2004 12:58 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration