LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Solaris / OpenSolaris (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/solaris-opensolaris-20/)
-   -   Starting services (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/solaris-opensolaris-20/starting-services-628996/)

madivad 03-18-2008 01:57 PM

Starting services
 
2 short and simple questions:

I have got Samba up and running. So far, so good. I am running some tests over the network and all should be good.

To enable samba, I used
Code:

# svcadm enable samba
(my how easy was that?) <G>

1) Is that equivalent to a once only manual start, or should I do more to make it persistent?

Not sure if I have to create an entry in /etc/rcX.d or not.

2) And on that note, what runlevel does OpenSolaris use?
Code:

# who -r
returns garbage
Code:

        run-level    Mar 18 23:23                  last=
To me that doesn't seem to make sense at all. I would have thought it was runlevel 3, but rc3.d is empty and there are some scripts in rc2.d

coolster 03-18-2008 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madivad (Post 3092948)
2 short and simple questions:

I have got Samba up and running. So far, so good. I am running some tests over the network and all should be good.

To enable samba, I used
Code:

# svcadm enable samba
(my how easy was that?) <G>

Sweet, isn't it?
:-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by madivad (Post 3092948)
1) Is that equivalent to a once only manual start, or should I do more to make it persistent?

Unless the "-t" option is used, svcadm(1M) enable/disable is persistent through reboots, patches, and upgrades. The "-t" option indicates that this specified state is good only until the next reboot.(from the manual at http://opensolaris.org/os/community/smf/faq/)

Quote:

Originally Posted by madivad (Post 3092948)
Not sure if I have to create an entry in /etc/rcX.d or not.

You don't have to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by madivad (Post 3092948)
2) And on that note, what runlevel does OpenSolaris use?
Code:

# who -r
returns garbage
Code:

        run-level    Mar 18 23:23                  last=
To me that doesn't seem to make sense at all. I would have thought it was runlevel 3, but rc3.d is empty and there are some scripts in rc2.d

rc scripts are no longer the preferred method used to manage programs, Sun has enhanced the runlevel model with service milestones.
The use of runlevels has been replaced by SMF milestones, though you can still use the old /etc/init.d to run legacy scripts.
The single-user, multi-user, and multi-user-server milestones correspond to run-levels S, 2, and 3, respectively.

-C-

prad77 03-18-2008 04:59 PM

If the file for samba is present in /lib/svc/method , then samba startup is taken care while booting iself.
What ever /etc/init.d was doing is taken care well by SMF from sol10 onwards.Ocourse legacies excluded.

Refer the following for more understanding.
http://wellrounded.wordpress.com/200...ment-facility/

Fedora Development

madivad 03-18-2008 07:27 PM

Great, and thanks for the links guys


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:41 AM.