Solaris / OpenSolarisThis forum is for the discussion of Solaris and OpenSolaris.
General Sun, SunOS and Sparc related questions also go here.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I need some help with Solaris. I've recently got myself an old Ultra 1 Creator and installed Solaris 7 on it. I could try to install something newer, but I don't think that's the problem...
Well, I have an static IP address given by my ISP. I have a few machines connected to the Internet using a SMC router/firewall. The router generates internel IP address for every machine on the LAN.
I can connect to the Internet from any machine, except from my Ultra 1. I can, however, from my Ultra, ping any other machine on my LAN (including the router) but not outside. I can even open a browser from my Ultra/Solaris and change my router settings via Web-based interface. As soon as I try to open a page or ping somewhere else, I got an unknown host.
So far, I've spent a whole day trying to get this to work. This is what I did so far:
this file has my hostname
this file has two lines: wait 300 and primary
I've added my Primary and secondary DNS given by my ISP in two separated lines.
I made sure that the line "hosts: file dns" was in there.
I also re-run sys-unconfig plenty of times and rebooted even more times trying to get this right. Upon the configuration, there was one question that I was not sure, so I set to "none", it was about NIS+ service. Another one was about if my machine was a part of subnet, I said yes and setup my correct (and default) subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
netstat -rn | grep default returns the following:
default 192.168.2.1 UG 0 0
192.168.2.1 is my routers/firewall IP. I also tried to create a file called /etc/defaultrouter and put that number in there, no help. ifconfig -a returns the following (note, not paste-copy job)
What my ISP gives me:
static IP: 184.108.40.206
Above numbers are examples. Connection on my LAN is done by DHCP through a router/Firewall. If I go into my router settings through Web Interface, my Sparc/Solaris machine has an IP number (192.168.2.2) and it matches the one given by netstat.
Now, what should I do to get this to work? I've spend hours on IRC and Internet without success. Whereelse should I look at?
Before I start answering your questions, I'd like to thank you. I've read your posts here at Solaris and Java and found you a really valuable member, so I thank in the name of all other members that you've helped with solaris issues . Now, to the question:
From my U1 I can't access Internet at all. Trying to type an address at the web-browser hangs for a while, then returns host not found. Same goes with ping at the command line: hangs for a while, returns host not found error. However, from the U1, pinging any local machine, returns "is alive". From the webbrowser at my U1, I can hit my router (192.168.2.1) and change the settings.
Thank you very much jlliagre!!! It finally works. Well, it was my fault actually. I've double checked the /etc/resolv.conf (as you suggested) and I had only my DNS on it, without "nameserver". It's now up and running... can't wait to install bash or else I will insane without it