LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Solaris / OpenSolaris (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/solaris-opensolaris-20/)
-   -   Solaris 10 Package Management Using GNOME (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/solaris-opensolaris-20/solaris-10-package-management-using-gnome-607833/)

metallica1973 12-19-2007 06:30 AM

Solaris 10 Package Management Using GNOME
 
I believe that it is GNOME (default windows GUI) in Solaris 10, but what is the application that handles the package management like in Suse it would be Yast and etc...

crisostomo_enrico 12-19-2007 07:10 AM

It's GNOME, but if you're looking for somehing like Synaptic or Yast stop searching because you're not going to find it.

Dox Systems - Brian 12-19-2007 08:12 AM

pkgadd, pkgrm, pkginfo

custangro 12-19-2007 04:33 PM

You can try blastwave
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by metallica1973 (Post 2995675)
I believe that it is GNOME (default windows GUI) in Solaris 10, but what is the application that handles the package management like in Suse it would be Yast and etc...

A good one doesn't really exist. The pkgadd command will add packages you downloaded from sunfreeware.com...but you have to download anything you want to install (and it's listed dependecies). Not quite like apt-get or yum...but it's better than compiling.

That being said...youu can try blastwave. It works similar to apt-get or yum...but there is no GUI frontend (that I know of). Go to: http://www.blastwave.org/howto.html for more info.

After it's set up it works like apt-get. It will install the package and all of it's dependencies. After it's configured you can install firefox like this:

Code:

host# pkg-get -i firefox
All packages installs in /usr/local and will have to be put in your $PATH in order for you to use the commands/packages.

Hope this helps!

-C

jlliagre 12-19-2007 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by custangro (Post 2996258)
All packages installs in /usr/local and will have to be put in your $PATH in order for you to use the commands/packages.

Actually that depends on the repository convention.

Sunfreeware packages go to /usr/local, which is a mistake in my opinion while Blastwave ones go to /opt/csw which is better.

custangro 12-19-2007 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlliagre (Post 2996333)
Actually that depends on the repository convention.

Sunfreeware packages go to /usr/local, which is a mistake in my opinion while Blastwave ones go to /opt/csw which is better.

Correct...I forgot to mention that :) sorry


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 AM.