LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Other *NIX Forums > Solaris / OpenSolaris
User Name
Password
Solaris / OpenSolaris This forum is for the discussion of Solaris and OpenSolaris.
General Sun, SunOS and Sparc related questions also go here.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 04-28-2007, 09:53 PM   #1
Doug Vitale
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Distribution: Fedora 10/Mint 5 KDE
Posts: 69

Rep: Reputation: 16
Solaris 10 installation hangs; multi-OS drive


I have a Dell D820 laptop with Windows XP and Fedora 6 installed on the hard drive. I downloaded the DVD image of Solaris 10 and this is what happens when I boot to the DVD:

1. "Loading Stage 2" is displayed
2. Options to run Solaris, Solaris Serial Con ttya, Solaris Serial ttyb
3. "..........." is displayed
4. The final message is: "Sun OS Release 5.10 version generic_11885-33 32-bit Copyright 1983-2006 Sun Micro Inc.
User is subject to license terms"

At this point the installation proceeds no further.

Apparently there are some issues with installing Solaris on a drive that already has Linux partitions. fdisk in Fedora says:

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 3187 25599546 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 3188 4231 8385930 83 Linux
/dev/sda3 4232 4492 2096482+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

There's not much to help on the Web, but I did find these:

Quote:
Can I install Linux and Solaris on the same drive?

Yes. If you use Solaris 10 or greater, it's no problem--as they use different partition IDs (0x82 for Linux and 0xBF for Solaris). Unfortunately, Solaris 9 and earlier and Linux swap partitions use the same ID, 0x82, so be careful.

For the most part, both Linux and Solaris use GRUB to boot load the OS. Linux and Solaris GRUB both live at the beginning of the partition and in the /boot/grub/ directory. Solaris GRUB can boot to either Linux or Solaris directly. Linux GRUB can't boot to Solaris directly, as it doesn't have the Solaris modifications (at least yet). But Linux GRUB can "chain load" to Solaris GRUB. The following is a sample entry to chain load Solaris GRUB from Linux GRUB:

# Boot from Linux GRUB to Solaris GRUB at the 3rd partition, /dev/hda3
title Sun Solaris GRUB Boot Loader
rootnoverify (hd0,2)
chainloader +1

The following is a sample entry for booting Linux from Solaris GRUB. It can just be copied and pasted from your Linux GRUB menu.lst file:

# Boot from Solaris GRUB to Linux at the 4th partition, /dev/hda4
title SUSE Linux 10.1
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/tahoma-suse10.1/root-tahoma-suse10.1 vga=0x31a
initrd /initrd

http://faq.solaris-x86.org/9.html#9.5

Quote:
If Linux is already installed on the system, there is also a way to install
Solaris on the same drive. Before installing Solaris, change the hex id of the
Linux swap partition to another id (e.g. change it to 83 <-- Linux native)
using Linux FDISK. Then begin the Solaris installation and proceed as normal,
creating a new partition for Solaris, etc. After the Solaris installation is
complete, change the id of the Linux swap back to 82. Depending upon what boot
manager you are using (Solaris, Linux's LILO, or a 3rd party) you should follow
a couple more steps. If you want to use the Solaris boot manager, make sure
LILO is on the Linux root partition. If you're using LILO as your primary boot
manager, make sure you have included a stanza for Solaris. A third party boot
manager such as System Commander should also work here fine. (Refer to LILO
documentation for these steps).

http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/docum...ey=1-9-15682-1
Since I am a Linux novice, I cannot really make heads or tails out of these instructions. Could anyone tell me what I need to do to get Solaris to exist on the same drive as Windows and Linux? Thanks very much.
 
Old 04-29-2007, 01:52 AM   #2
jlliagre
Moderator
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: Outside Paris
Distribution: Solaris10, Solaris 11, Mint, OL
Posts: 9,486

Rep: Reputation: 354Reputation: 354Reputation: 354Reputation: 354
As the installation hangs when loading the O/S from the DVD, the issue is not (yet) with disk partitioning.

Have a look at the Solaris HCL http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/data...ails/2043.html. In the notes, there is some tweaking mentioned about Solaris on the D820:


I had to disable acpi (acpi-user-options=0x2). It's required also to set tsc_gethrtime_enable to 0 in order to install (under kmdb tsc_gethrtime_enable/W0). I wonder if he was able to completely get ACPI working at all or he just forgot to make a note about it.
 
Old 04-29-2007, 06:04 PM   #3
Doug Vitale
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Distribution: Fedora 10/Mint 5 KDE
Posts: 69

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlliagre
As the installation hangs when loading the O/S from the DVD, the issue is not (yet) with disk partitioning.

Have a look at the Solaris HCL http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/data...ails/2043.html. In the notes, there is some tweaking mentioned about Solaris on the D820:


I had to disable acpi (acpi-user-options=0x2). It's required also to set tsc_gethrtime_enable to 0 in order to install (under kmdb tsc_gethrtime_enable/W0). I wonder if he was able to completely get ACPI working at all or he just forgot to make a note about it.
Thanks; that's a good find. Would you have any idea how to disable ACPI on a Dell D820? I looked in the BIOS and didn't see anything. I'll check w/Google and see what I come up with; I'll post anything substantial I find in this thread. Thanks.
 
Old 04-29-2007, 11:26 PM   #4
jlliagre
Moderator
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: Outside Paris
Distribution: Solaris10, Solaris 11, Mint, OL
Posts: 9,486

Rep: Reputation: 354Reputation: 354Reputation: 354Reputation: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go2doug
Would you have any idea how to disable ACPI on a Dell D820? I looked in the BIOS and didn't see anything.
Sure, you need to add this at the end of the kernel line in the grub menu kernel entry:
Code:
kernel /boot/multiboot kernel/unix -v -B acpi-user-options=0x2
or possibly
Code:
kernel /boot/multiboot kernel/unix -v -B install_media=cdrom,acpi-user-options=0x2
as you are booting the DVD.

Another option would be to try Solaris Express where this ACPI limitation is likely to be fixed.
 
Old 04-30-2007, 08:56 AM   #5
Doug Vitale
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Distribution: Fedora 10/Mint 5 KDE
Posts: 69

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 16
I poured through pages of Google search results and the Dell forums, and I don't think that ACPI can be disabled on the Dell Latitude D820. There is definitely no option in the BIOS to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlliagre
Sure, you need to add this at the end of the kernel line in the grub menu kernel entry:
Code:
kernel /boot/multiboot kernel/unix -v -B acpi-user-options=0x2
or possibly
Code:
kernel /boot/multiboot kernel/unix -v -B install_media=cdrom,acpi-user-options=0x2
as you are booting the DVD.
Okay, right now my grub.conf in /boot/grub looks like this:

Code:
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
# NOTICE:  You do not have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
#          root (hd0,1)
#          kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/sda2
#          initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/sda
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,1)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora Core (2.6.20-1.2944.fc6)
	root (hd0,1)
	kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-1.2944.fc6 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
	initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.20-1.2944.fc6.img
title Windows XP Professional
	rootnoverify (hd0,0)
	chainloader +1
Are you saying it should look like this:

Code:
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
# NOTICE:  You do not have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
#          root (hd0,1)
#          kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/sda2
#          initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/sda
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,1)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora Core (2.6.20-1.2944.fc6)
	root (hd0,1)
	kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-1.2944.fc6 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
	initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.20-1.2944.fc6.img
title Windows XP Professional
	rootnoverify (hd0,0)
	chainloader +1
kernel /boot/multiboot kernel/unix -v -B acpi-user-options=0x2

-OR-

kernel /boot/multiboot kernel/unix -v -B install_media=cdrom,acpi-user-options=0x2
Or do I have to edit grub.conf during the boot-to-DVD installation? It does give me the option to go to a command prompt during the installation, I believe.

Quote:
Another option would be to try Solaris Express where this ACPI limitation is likely to be fixed.
I will definitely give Solaris Express a try if I can't install the regular Solaris 10. I am just interested in using Solaris from a server OS/networking perspective and not for any software application development; would Express be appropriate for my needs? Thanks very much.
 
Old 04-30-2007, 11:04 AM   #6
jlliagre
Moderator
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: Outside Paris
Distribution: Solaris10, Solaris 11, Mint, OL
Posts: 9,486

Rep: Reputation: 354Reputation: 354Reputation: 354Reputation: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go2doug
Or do I have to edit grub.conf during the boot-to-DVD installation?
Yes, that's it.
Quote:
It does give me the option to go to a command prompt during the installation, I believe.
Indeed, press "e" when the boot menu appears, and you get to the edit mode.
"<esc>" leave the edit mode
"b" launch the boot process.
Quote:
I will definitely give Solaris Express a try if I can't install the regular Solaris 10. I am just interested in using Solaris from a server OS/networking perspective and not for any software application development; would Express be appropriate for my needs?
Unless you have support constraints and requirements, Solaris Express is a better option, especially with a laptop.
 
Old 04-30-2007, 01:49 PM   #7
Doug Vitale
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Distribution: Fedora 10/Mint 5 KDE
Posts: 69

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 16
Editing the grub kernel line during the installation did the trick:

Code:
kernel /boot/multiboot kernel/unix -v -B install_media=cdrom,acpi-user-options=0x2
However, when I got to the fdisk portion of the installation, it gave me a message about detecting Linux and it said that Solaris cannot use Linux partitions or something like that?

Currently when I boot the computer, it loads grub.conf from /boot/grub and lets me choose between Fedora 6 and Windows XP. Will I be able to install Solaris so that it will get its own partition(s) and have an entry for itself in the grub.conf file, so that I'll have three OS choices on bootup? Currently my disk looks like:
Code:
Device    Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *           1        3187    25599546    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2            3188        4231     8385930   83  Linux
/dev/sda3            4232        4492     2096482+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
 
Old 04-30-2007, 03:06 PM   #8
jlliagre
Moderator
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: Outside Paris
Distribution: Solaris10, Solaris 11, Mint, OL
Posts: 9,486

Rep: Reputation: 354Reputation: 354Reputation: 354Reputation: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go2doug
However, when I got to the fdisk portion of the installation, it gave me a message about detecting Linux and it said that Solaris cannot use Linux partitions or something like that?
You should post the exact message.
Quote:
Currently when I boot the computer, it loads grub.conf from /boot/grub and lets me choose between Fedora 6 and Windows XP. Will I be able to install Solaris so that it will get its own partition(s) and have an entry for itself in the grub.conf file, so that I'll have three OS choices on bootup?
That is supported.
Quote:
Currently my disk looks like:
Code:
Device    Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *           1        3187    25599546    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2            3188        4231     8385930   83  Linux
/dev/sda3            4232        4492     2096482+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
So it looks like you have a free primary partition, but is there some free space available on your disk ? Is sda3 really a swap partition for Linux ? That may be the issue you had with Solaris fdisk as its ID clash with the previous Solaris partition ID.
 
Old 05-03-2007, 02:59 PM   #9
Doug Vitale
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Distribution: Fedora 10/Mint 5 KDE
Posts: 69

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 16
Jlliagre, thanks for all your help with this problem. Since I have two hard drives, I decided to put Ubuntu, Fedora, and openSUSE on one and Windows XP, Solaris, and FreeBSD on the other. Do you know of any potential difficulties that may occur if Windows and Solaris share the same drive? How about Solaris with FreeBSD? I plan on having one NTFS partition for Windows and then just let Solaris install into a separate partition(s) on its own with the autoinstallation option. Thanks.
 
Old 05-04-2007, 02:23 AM   #10
jlliagre
Moderator
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: Outside Paris
Distribution: Solaris10, Solaris 11, Mint, OL
Posts: 9,486

Rep: Reputation: 354Reputation: 354Reputation: 354Reputation: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go2doug
Do you know of any potential difficulties that may occur if Windows and Solaris share the same drive?
Install Windows first as it overwrites the MBR with something that can't boot Solaris.
Quote:
How about Solaris with FreeBSD?
Nothing special, they mostly ignore each other, unless you choose to have a shared ZFS partition which would be a very interesting experience (I didn't yet try that).
Quote:
I plan on having one NTFS partition for Windows and then just let Solaris install into a separate partition(s) on its own with the autoinstallation option.
I would advice not to use the default filesystems settings, especially the default slicing which creates a / to small, and unnecessary separate slices.
 
Old 05-04-2007, 09:00 AM   #11
Doug Vitale
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Distribution: Fedora 10/Mint 5 KDE
Posts: 69

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlliagre

I would advice not to use the default filesystems settings, especially the default slicing which creates a / to small, and unnecessary separate slices.
What would you advise then? I'll be installing Solaris 10 onto a 40 GB drive that already has a 25 GB NTFS partition. Which partitions should I create and what sizes?
 
Old 05-06-2007, 11:18 AM   #12
kebabbert
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2005
Posts: 461

Rep: Reputation: 41
Before I learn more about solaris, i just have 3 partitions, everything in "/" and one "swap" and one for "/var". That works and is the easiest.
 
Old 05-06-2007, 03:40 PM   #13
jlliagre
Moderator
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: Outside Paris
Distribution: Solaris10, Solaris 11, Mint, OL
Posts: 9,486

Rep: Reputation: 354Reputation: 354Reputation: 354Reputation: 354
That depends on what you plan to install on the box. With (only) 15 GB, here's what I would do:

give / 8 GB (including /var, /usr, ...), swap 1 GB and create a fake ufs /export with the remaining space (6GB).

After installation, umount /export and replace it by a zfs pool created on this slice. On the pool, create a compressed file-systems for /opt and other filesystem for the home directory/ies and for the zone(s).

If you are using the latest Solaris Express, then you can try the new ZFS boot support and put everything on ZFS, which would be the best solution (although I haven't tried it yet).
 
Old 05-08-2007, 06:20 AM   #14
Doug Vitale
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Distribution: Fedora 10/Mint 5 KDE
Posts: 69

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 16
Hi jlliagre,

I finally installed Solaris and now it seems I'm having the same problem that I had when I first attempted to install. When I boot my laptop I get the Solaris GRUB screen which gives me three choices:

Solaris 10
Solaris failsafe
Windows

When I boot to either Solaris option, it goes to "User is subject to license terms" and then just hangs.

I tried to edit the GRUB entries by adding ",acpi-user-options=0x2" at the end but I just get error messages afterwards. I even tried adding a separate ACPI line and that also didn't work. When I edit the first GRUB line entry, the choices are:

root (hd0, 1, a)
kernel /platform/i86pc/multiboot
module/platform/i86pc/boot_archive

Any suggestions? Thanks.
 
Old 05-08-2007, 07:44 AM   #15
jlliagre
Moderator
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: Outside Paris
Distribution: Solaris10, Solaris 11, Mint, OL
Posts: 9,486

Rep: Reputation: 354Reputation: 354Reputation: 354Reputation: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go2doug
I tried to edit the GRUB entries by adding ",acpi-user-options=0x2" at the end but I just get error messages afterwards. I even tried adding a separate ACPI line and that also didn't work.
The expected syntax should be:
Code:
kernel /platform/i86pc/multiboot -B acpi-user-options=0x2 -v
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
a multi boot containing solaris abd_bela Debian 3 04-27-2007 06:00 PM
SuSE 10.1 installation hangs on reboot to hard drive PapaNerd Suse/Novell 2 06-29-2006 04:31 PM
solaris 9 installation on external drive cronos Solaris / OpenSolaris 1 07-10-2005 01:32 PM
new to solaris - is it possible to multi-boot with solaris? spyghost Solaris / OpenSolaris 6 02-08-2004 06:39 PM
SusE 9.0 - hangs at Installation-bootup (while attaching my SATA drive...) tokugawa Linux - Hardware 4 10-25-2003 04:17 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:20 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration