LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Solaris / OpenSolaris (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/solaris-opensolaris-20/)
-   -   how to change the size of terminal? (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/solaris-opensolaris-20/how-to-change-the-size-of-terminal-673740/)

wrapster 10-02-2008 09:55 AM

how to change the size of terminal?
 
Hi all,

I have a very trivial question to ask,pls dont mind
I wanted to change the terminal size to 77*48 by default
How do i do it?
I looked around in the "profiles" tab under the edit section of terminal, but couldnt change it as default.
I am using snv_89

Thanks

jlliagre 10-03-2008 05:13 AM

I don't know if there is a default configuration file. You can create a launcher script passing the sizing option as an alternative:
Code:

gnome-terminal --geometry 77x48

wrapster 10-03-2008 09:14 AM

This did not change anything !
It just pops up another terminal but again with the default size!

jlliagre 10-03-2008 09:40 AM

Hmm, double check. It certainly works fine with me.

wrapster 10-04-2008 02:02 AM

Yes i did recheck it.
But even though i specify the geometry a terminal opens up with the default config only

jlliagre 10-04-2008 03:53 AM

You mean when you run the command "gnome-terminal --geometry 77x48" from the command line, a 80x24 terminal window is showing up ??

wrapster 10-04-2008 10:31 AM

yes!
And secondly i even exited all the gnome apps that were running thinking that it will take effect after everything is quit
but still no use!

jlliagre 10-04-2008 04:23 PM

Try "gnome-terminal --disable-factory --geometry 20x20 &"

If the size is still wrong, post the output of "ptree $$" run from the new terminal window.

wrapster 10-05-2008 09:59 AM

It still didnt work!

ptree o/p
Code:

bash-3.2# ptree $$
986  gnome-terminal
  2869  sh
    2872  bash
      2873  ptree 2872


jlliagre 10-05-2008 12:33 PM

I think you missed to run the ptree command from the new window, not the one from where you ran the gnome-terminal command.

wrapster 10-08-2008 03:49 AM

no i did run it from another window!
and thats what i got

wrapster 10-08-2008 03:55 AM

Ok so the mistake i was doing is instead of using "x" i was using *
Since it was multiplication ..didnt realize. Am sorry

But this command will only spawn only one terminal with the specified geometry... and i dont have a .bashrc file either!
So if i do a ctrl+shift+n
The next window opens up with the default geo only
How do i make it permanent

jlliagre 10-08-2008 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrapster (Post 3303803)
no i did run it from another window!
and thats what i got

You are still missing what I asked for. Should you have understood my request, the * vs x confusion would have been detected earlier as the bogus argument would have been printed in the ptree output.
Quote:

But this command will only spawn only one terminal with the specified geometry... and i dont have a .bashrc file either!
What .bashrc has to do with it ?
Quote:

So if i do a ctrl+shift+n
The next window opens up with the default geo only
You can use ctrl-shift-t (new tab) instead. The size remains identical.
Quote:

How do i make it permanent
As far as I know, you can't unless you are ready to patch and contribute to the gnome-terminal code.

code933k 11-13-2008 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrapster (Post 3303806)
Ok so the mistake i was doing is instead of using "x" i was using *
Since it was multiplication ..didnt realize. Am sorry

But this command will only spawn only one terminal with the specified geometry... and i dont have a .bashrc file either!
So if i do a ctrl+shift+n
The next window opens up with the default geo only
How do i make it permanent

Inside ~/.bashrc write
Code:

alias gnome-terminal="gnome-terminal --your-arguments $@"
If that's what you were expecting for.

jlliagre 11-13-2008 02:47 AM

That wouldn't change terminals launched with the gui. I should be possible to do the same with the gnome launch script though.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47 PM.