Solaris / OpenSolarisThis forum is for the discussion of Solaris and OpenSolaris.
General Sun, SunOS and Sparc related questions also go here.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
When solaris boots I see the network card as yukonx. I am using a router to connect to the IInternet with static addressing, my router gateway is 192.168.254.254
My ethernet card is 192.168.254.197 255.255.255.0
Under linux I set resolv.conf to point at the router
i.e. nameserver 192.168.254.254
and the router has my ISP's DNS settings.
I have a single computer under solaris called "orac" and here is contnts of:
# Internet host table
127.0.0.1 localhost loghost orac
As you can see things are in a bit of a pickle, I am reading the Idiots guide to Solaris 9, I wonder if setup has changed between Solaris 9 and 10? Thanks in advance for any advice
or online references.
If I type ping 192.168.254.197 I get the message "..is alive", the same with my router (192.168.254.254)
Thanks guys, all of you.
It appeared that I could not browse or ping a domain name, but yet I could ping an external IP e.g. 184.108.40.206 (and If I copied that IP onto my browser location the page would appear).
jlliagre was right, the contents of nsswitch.conf were wrong. I simply appended dns to the following line in
hosts: files dns
saved the file and rebooted, I'm posting from Solaris 10 now, many thanks.
I don't have Solaris in front of me right now but do have OpenSolaris 2009.06 (111a) in front of me. After making the change from DHCP to Static IP, "cp /etc/nsswitch.dns /etc/nsswitch.conf" (of course after saving the original, right?).
BTW this thread hasn't seen activity in 3 years...
Also, just an added note. I had this same problem and my nsswitch.conf and nsswitch.dns were fine. It turned out that my resolv.conf was blank, so I added by ISP and DNS nameservers to it and everything worked like a charm.
I've also discovered this "anomaly" with Solaris 10 update 6 (i386).
I did check, and recheck , and recheck again, the nsswitch.conf and resolv.conf files with other servers I have.
I had discovered the service "dns/client" was "disabled" since I didn't setup DNS during installation. But even though I enabled "dns/client" I may have not done it in the correct order compared to my troubleshooting the two config files.
After getting completely frustrated I pulled a windoze trick and rebooted. I KNOW, completely unnecessary, but it did correct the problem.
So I suspect I should have tried to restart or refresh the dns/client service before doing the reboot. A "sysunconfig" is also WAY too drastic a measure.
That's all I did. I think it's some sort of small bug in Solaris 10 that's been over looked. These config files should be called on when needed, not when the service is started (historically speaking).