Slackware - InstallationThis forum is for the discussion of installation issues with Slackware.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
I have been through a few Linuxdistros, but new to Slackware.I installed ver.11 with the 2.4 kernel, and everything worked fine. Now I reinstalled and used the 18.104.22.168 kernel.
I find the "extra" on the DVD. Trying to install, as root with installpkg<filename>.tgz, I always get: Cannot install <filename>.tgz -package does not end in .tgz.
I then tried to install the package with Kpackage and it looks to me that they are installed. They are among the other installed progs in Kpackages list. My NIC and soundcard is not found. What is wrong? I've looked around on several foorums. Anybody has a link or could give the solution to me, using a teaspoon?!
- look in /etc/rc.d: make sure that rc.modules is a symlink to modules-22.214.171.124. If you intend to run 2.6.x soley, delete rc.modules-2.4.33
- make sure /etc/rc.d/rc.udev is executable (chmod 755 /etc/rc.d/rc.udev)
- compile your own 2.6.x kernel. compile all IDE/SATA controllers and file systems (reiserfs? ext3? xfs?) in that you need to start your machine. If you are not sure, start with the config file for the huge26.s kernel (you find it in /kernels/huge26.s on the Slackware CD). This way you don't need any additional initrd image.
Well, how long was Adam in Paradise?
I had a fully functional Slackware going, until I rebooted. Lilo stopped an nothing more happened. I have reinstalled and everything works just fine now. (I am using Slackware to visit here now) However I don't dare to turn off again! What have I missed this time?
This is my /etc/lilo.conf if that could tell You anything.
Did you run /sbin/lilo if you compiled your own kernel? Is your lilo.conf complete? I always had at least two lilo parts to boot different Linux/Win installs, but I think there was some other stuff at the top of my lilo.conf -- How did you create it? I would backup the file and call "liloconfig" as root. Start with the first menu choice (new lilo header I think) and then add your linux partition. Last "Install LILO".
Are you sure there is no typo and no space in the name? What happens if you don't type the name completely but just type the first characters and use <tab> for auto-completion?
Funny you mention the autocompletion thing. I was using autocompletion when installing the kernel, but it would not add 'gz' at the end. The reason for it is that there are 'txt' files in the same directory. Also files that end in '.tgz.asc'.
When I tried to put in : image = /boot/vmlinuz-generic 126.96.36.199 in my lilo.config I got the message:"No filesystem could mount root, tried ext 2. Kernel panic-not syncing:VFS:unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (8.1)
I have just installed the 188.8.131.52 kernel (huge26.s) and the kernel-modules from "extra"(no changes)
Could it be something with initrd? Reading the "readme initrd" it says:
Change into the /boot directory:
Now you'll want to run "mkinitrd". I'm using reiserfs for my root
filesystem, and since it's an IDE system the reiserfs module will be
the only one I need to load:
Then you should make sure that SATA support and your controller is build in (or again, included with initrd).
I had some minor problems in the past too, although the kernel should have included all things like reiserfs support. I would start with the huge26.s kernel's config file and compile my own kernel with reiserfs, SATA support ... compiled in. After that you could try to strip down the included stuff to the stuff you really need for your hardware/setup.
Compiling the kernel myself blew my problems right away I compiled it, linked /etc/rc.d/rc.modules to /etc/rc.d/rc.modules-184.108.40.206 and deleted all files concerning 2.4.33 (for example the modules, /lib/modules/2.4.33) that I didn't need anyway.