LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware > Slackware - Installation
User Name
Password
Slackware - Installation This forum is for the discussion of installation issues with Slackware.

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 09-23-2004, 05:55 AM   #1
avinesh
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Posts: 2

Rep: Reputation: 0
Problem in installing slackware 10.0 from hard disk


hi,
i got problem in installing slackware 10.0. I have a dual boot machine with
windows XP and Fedora Core 2. I wanted to try out slackware on a spare
partition. I downloaded the iso images of slackware and saved into my linux
partition which has reiserfs file system.
I copied the contents of the images using loopback mounting in two directories
named "/slackware/slack1" and "/slackware/slack2". These two directories
reside on /dev/hda3 which has reiserfs filesystem.
Now while installing slackware, before doing setup i mounted "/slackware" of
/dev/hda3 on "/tmp/foo". I m planning to install slackware on /dev/hda7. I chose the premounted partition option and specified "/tmp/foo/slackware/slack1" directory. After all package selection, nothing is happening .... and a dialog box comes saying that setup is complete ...but nothing is installed.
what to do ? where i m making mistake ? please help me out.
 
Old 09-28-2004, 02:46 PM   #2
bonecrusher
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: St. Louis, MO
Distribution: Slackware-current, Ubuntu Server, Gentoo
Posts: 207

Rep: Reputation: 30
Re: Problem in installing slackware 10.0 from hard disk

Quote:
Originally posted by avinesh
hi,
i got problem in installing slackware 10.0. I have a dual boot machine with
windows XP and Fedora Core 2. I wanted to try out slackware on a spare
partition. I downloaded the iso images of slackware and saved into my linux
partition which has reiserfs file system.
I copied the contents of the images using loopback mounting in two directories
named "/slackware/slack1" and "/slackware/slack2". These two directories
reside on /dev/hda3 which has reiserfs filesystem.
Now while installing slackware, before doing setup i mounted "/slackware" of
/dev/hda3 on "/tmp/foo". I m planning to install slackware on /dev/hda7. I chose the premounted partition option and specified "/tmp/foo/slackware/slack1" directory. After all package selection, nothing is happening .... and a dialog box comes saying that setup is complete ...but nothing is installed.
what to do ? where i m making mistake ? please help me out.
How are you booting the system up?

boot disk? (floppy?) and root filesystem? floppy?

Aside from specific kernel related problems associated with this (and hard disk installs) (I am not sure if loop is installed in default install kernel (just for instance..)) Did you mount with filetype ISO9660?
You will probably run into other problems..

Why not just install the way the ISO was meant to be installed.... eg: CD-r?

Well let me know..

bc


Last edited by bonecrusher; 09-28-2004 at 02:55 PM.
 
Old 09-29-2004, 12:18 AM   #3
avinesh
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Posts: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
hi,
your reply came a little late.... i installed slackware 10.0 using CD-R and is installed
properly.....anyway thanks for your reply.
currently i m facing a problem ... whenever i quit GUI ... i get blank screen and to get
the system working ... i do not have any option rather than reboot. what to do with this ?
I have read about possible problem with hotplug ... so i removed execution permission (x bit)
thats why its not get loaded ... but still the problem persists.
please help me out .... please do it fast.
 
Old 09-29-2004, 12:46 PM   #4
bonecrusher
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: St. Louis, MO
Distribution: Slackware-current, Ubuntu Server, Gentoo
Posts: 207

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally posted by avinesh
hi,
your reply came a little late.... i installed slackware 10.0 using CD-R and is installed
properly.....anyway thanks for your reply.
currently i m facing a problem ... whenever i quit GUI ... i get blank screen and to get
the system working ... i do not have any option rather than reboot. what to do with this ?
I have read about possible problem with hotplug ... so i removed execution permission (x bit)
thats why its not get loaded ... but still the problem persists.
please help me out .... please do it fast.
What are you using as far as the console? VGA driver? or are you using the one made for your card?
Personally I always use the vga driver (Frame buffer) for console and specific Card (Mine is ATI-Radeon) for Xwin. Are you using your cards driver or the frame buffer driver for console??

And to imply that I should answer you fast.. listen:

I do this voluntarily.. there isn't anyone on this whole forum who HAS to answer your question more or less answer them speedily. So as the saying goes:
beggars can't be choosers!

but since you said 'PLEASE'...

well,
let me know whats up....

bc

Last edited by bonecrusher; 09-29-2004 at 12:53 PM.
 
Old 10-29-2004, 10:43 AM   #5
x471x
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Posts: 4

Rep: Reputation: 0
thx for the reply

i installed with a cdr and i partitioned my drive for a root, usr, home, and swap. There was something about 'pkgtool' that was used to mount on specific partitions, could this be the problem? if it is could you teach me how to properly mount on my partitions?

thx
 
Old 10-29-2004, 11:41 AM   #6
bonecrusher
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: St. Louis, MO
Distribution: Slackware-current, Ubuntu Server, Gentoo
Posts: 207

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally posted by x471x
thx for the reply

i installed with a cdr and i partitioned my drive for a root, usr, home, and swap. There was something about 'pkgtool' that was used to mount on specific partitions, could this be the problem? if it is could you teach me how to properly mount on my partitions?

thx
Well there are tools you can d/load to do it, but the file in question is:

/etc/fstab
(And to show what is already mounted: ) /etc/mtab
You could also try tools such as:
KFSTAB (Fstab editor for KDE-gui)

PKGTOOLs is simply a package that deals with installing/updating/removing other packages from the Slackware system. You can also download alternative programs such as SWARET - which I personally prefer to plain PKGTOOLS...

As far as telling you what you need in your fstab, I can't guess what permissions you need-you need to read up on this and personally decide what you need there.


Hope this helps!


bc

Last edited by bonecrusher; 10-29-2004 at 11:43 AM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slackware Install not actually writing to hard disk MichaelF Slackware - Installation 5 11-03-2005 04:58 AM
problem when installing Mandrake 10.1 form hard disk ckota Mandriva 1 01-01-2005 12:39 PM
Installing Slackware, Hard Drive Problem! jdmml Linux - Hardware 19 10-28-2004 09:41 PM
How to boot slackware from an USB hard disk? Kayaker Slackware 1 01-20-2004 11:26 PM
adding a hard disk after instalation (slackware) kyoukan Linux - Distributions 6 05-11-2003 10:48 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration