This might be completely unrelated, but when I was doing a clean install of RC2 for testing (coincidentally on sda3
) I was having problems with lilo claiming that the partition table entry was inconsistent. I tried deleting and recreating the partition in both cfdisk and fdisk and it made no difference.
In the end what I ended up doing is: deleting sda3 using cfdisk, writing the table, and then rebooting; recreating sda3 using cfdisk, writing the table and then rebooting; re-installed to sda3 and everything was fine. Without the reboots between the delete and the recreate, the old "inconsistent" partition definition somehow managed to persist. It was very odd and I've never had to go to those lengths before when changing partition layout, but in this case it sorted things out.