LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware - Installation (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-installation-40/)
-   -   kernel panic on startup (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-installation-40/kernel-panic-on-startup-496073/)

tim1348 10-27-2006 09:07 AM

kernel panic on startup
 
I can only boot slack 11 from the cd using;
huge26.s root=/dev/sda2 noinitrd ro

then everything works fine. when I try to boot from lilo, i get;

kernel panic - not syncing VFS
UFS cant open root dev "802" or unknown block(8,2)
append correct "root=" boot option

I am running 2.6.17.13

what should I do? This is a fresh install, I can start over if I have too.

oliv 10-27-2006 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tim1348
I can only boot slack 11 from the cd using;
huge26.s root=/dev/sda2 noinitrd ro

then everything works fine. when I try to boot from lilo, i get;

kernel panic - not syncing VFS
UFS cant open root dev "802" or unknown block(8,2)
append correct "root=" boot option

I am running 2.6.17.13

what should I do? This is a fresh install, I can start over if I have too.

What is your /etc/lilo.conf? Are you trying to boot with the huge2.6s kernel? have you given the right root option in lilo? Have you installed the huge2.6 kernel? (to have a running system you have also to install the kernel modules packages but not the kernel headers: keep the headers of the 2.4 kernel, installed by default). If you want to boot with another kenel in the 2.6 series than the huge2.6 one, you will have to make an initrd (see /boot/README.inird).

tim1348 10-27-2006 12:58 PM

Here is my lilo;
boot = /dev/sda
image = /boot/vmlinuz
root = /dev/sda2
label = linux
read-only

I installed the 2.6 kernel from the 2nd cd from the 'extra' directory, but I left the old 2.4 headers alone. I also installed the 2.6 modules as well. The huge26.s kernel was installed during setup.

Other than having to boot from the cd, the system runs great. I have it on a wireless network, can cruise the internet, installed afterstep, have sound, etc etc.

Am I supposed to append anything? :confused:

onebuck 10-27-2006 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tim1348
Here is my lilo;
boot = /dev/sda
image = /boot/vmlinuz
root = /dev/sda2
label = linux
read-only

I installed the 2.6 kernel from the 2nd cd from the 'extra' directory, but I left the old 2.4 headers alone. I also installed the 2.6 modules as well. The huge26.s kernel was installed during setup.

Other than having to boot from the cd, the system runs great. I have it on a wireless network, can cruise the internet, installed afterstep, have sound, etc etc.

Am I supposed to append anything? :confused:

Hi,

I hope that is only the stanza for the 'linux' you added for the 2.6. You should 'man lilo.conf' to get a understanding about lilo. If it is then you need to read the '/boot/README.initrd'. I am assuming that your error is VFS error, which means the filesystem support is not available. The initrd would be an easy way to get your system up and running.

Another suggestion would be to get some background information from one of the online reference in my sig.

tim1348 10-28-2006 09:04 AM

Ok, thanx, got it. I ran mkinitrd and reconfigured lilo. Now this rig boots like it should. Thanks for the help,

Tim

daemonatheart 11-06-2006 02:44 PM

err, im not understanding the steps above, im still getting the kernel panic

VSF: cannot load root device "801" or 8:01

slackware 11
2.4 kernel

trying to boot with an USB External HDD
/dev/sda1
i cant boot through either the boot cd or lilo
tried running it with sata.i and scsi.s kernels...no go
also everytime i run the bootdisk to check thing's i have to use "cfdisk /dev/sda" just to see the hard drive to mount drive again...(not sure if this is normal :/ )

onebuck 11-08-2006 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daemonatheart
err, im not understanding the steps above, im still getting the kernel panic

VSF: cannot load root device "801" or 8:01

slackware 11
2.4 kernel

trying to boot with an USB External HDD
/dev/sda1
i cant boot through either the boot cd or lilo
tried running it with sata.i and scsi.s kernels...no go
also everytime i run the bootdisk to check thing's i have to use "cfdisk /dev/sda" just to see the hard drive to mount drive again...(not sure if this is normal :/ )

Hi,

First, you should start a new thread instead of hi-jacking a solved thread. You will get more response!

Read the /boot/README.initrd to get the idea of the initrd.
Also a search on LQ will get you several solved posts. A good one.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:08 PM.