LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware - Installation (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-installation-40/)
-   -   install flash player under slackware 13 x64 (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-installation-40/install-flash-player-under-slackware-13-x64-770337/)

newslack 11-19-2009 07:49 PM

install flash player under slackware 13 x64
 
hi,
i would like to install flash plug for my firefox under slackware 13 -64 bit.
i downloaded install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz from adobe website.
i unzip it and extract the tar file. what i found is only
libflashplayer.so. how do i proceed from here?

please help.

Mr-Bisquit 11-19-2009 08:09 PM

It may need ia32libs to install.

mudangel 11-19-2009 11:10 PM

try copying libflashplayer.so to your plugin directory, ~/.mozilla/plugins/ or /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/
You can use the Flash plugin without 32 bit compatibility

Eternal_Newbie 11-20-2009 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudangel (Post 3763468)
You can use the Flash plugin without 32 bit compatibility

Only if you downloaded the Beta 64 bit version from Adobe Labs, which is a bit hidden. You can find it here: http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/f...r10/64bit.html

IMHO the "Beta" 64 bit Flash is more stable that 32 bit Flash.

Alien Bob 11-20-2009 07:35 AM

The 64-bit flash player plugin can easily be built into a Slackware package using the SlackBuild script provided in the /extra/flashplayer-plugin/ directory of your DVD or any online mirror. It gets installed to the system-wide mozilla plugins directory so that Firefox, Seamonkey and other mozilla based browsers will be able to use it.

Eric

newslack 11-21-2009 09:01 AM

cool, I used slackbuild and installpkg and it worked!

wrinkledcheese 12-10-2009 10:53 PM

Hey everyone,

I have stumbled around the net looking for a solution to this issue but it seems like I'm stuck. At first I thought it was all flash apps were crashing firefox after installing flash player 10 using all of the methods above. I tried them all except the slackbuild in the extra dir until I found this post. The slackbuild does seem to present the best results but it still crashes.

With youtube, some videos will work and some will cause firefox to crash. Some flash ads cause firefox to crash, some don't. I had to post this twice due to a crash. My main concern is my girlfriends games don't work. They cause firefox to crash every time. Back to youtube... if I watch the same video, it will never crash so long as it doesn't the first time I watch it. If the video crashes firefox when I first view it I will never get any other results.

I have tried reinstalling it after uninstalling it and that didn't work either. I've been checking around on the net and I haven't been able to find any other resources regarding this issue. Does anyone have any tips ideas etc? The flash program on facebook that I've been testing for my girlfriends sake is FarmVille by Zynga.

I'm going to try a few of their other flash games to see if it's just this flash game that's causing it or if it's all of them. Anyone have any insight they'd care to share regarding these crashes I would most appreciate any of them.

I'm running slackware 13.0 64 on an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ with 1GB of ram on an ASUS A8V board. Before I installed the flash player I have not had any issues with any programs crashing, as soon as I uninstall flashplayer firefox ceases to crash.

[edit]
I tried another flash game and it crashed as well.

Petri Kaukasoina 12-11-2009 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrinkledcheese (Post 3787349)
With youtube, some videos will work and some will cause firefox to crash.

AMD Athlon 64 3500+

If you run firefox from the command line, do you get an error message? If it is "Illegal instruction" then maybe I know what the problem is. At least the original AMD Opteron and the first 64-bit Intel P4 processors did not have the LAHF assembly instruction in the 64-bit mode, but newer processors support that. The 64-bit flash plugin uses that instruction. Try this:

Code:

cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep lahf_lm
If it outputs nothing, your processor has this problem. Newer processors display "lahf_lm" in line "flags".

Fix by Maks Verver: Use Google to find flashplugin-lahf-fix.tar.gz and extract flashplugin-lahf-fix.c. There are compiling instructions written inside. Copy the compiled flashplugin-lahf-fix.so to directory /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins

wrinkledcheese 12-11-2009 11:48 AM

I do get an error when it crashes.

Code:

/usr/lib64/firefox-3.5.5/run-mozilla.sh: line 131:  3566 Illegal instruction    "$prog" ${1+"$@"}
When I run that cat cpuinfo command you mentioned it doesn't output anything. I will try installing what you had mentioned and update this post. Hopefully this will help someone someday...aside from me.

This worked for me. Because I had a little trouble finding the fix, due to flash and my lazyness to uninstall it I have included it here.

Save the code below in a c file. Compile instructions are included in the header of the file.

Code:

/* Simple work-around for running the 64-bit Adobe Flash plug-in version 10
  on Athlon64 processors without support for the lahf instruction.

Compile with:
cc -fPIC -shared -nostdlib -lc -oflashplugin-lahf-fix.so flashplugin-lahf-fix.c
Then place the .so file in the plug-in directory (e.g. $HOME/.mozilla/plugins)
or use LD_PRELOAD to force Firefox to load the library.

  - Maks Verver <maksverver@geocities.com> July 2009 */

#define _GNU_SOURCE
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <signal.h>
#include <ucontext.h>

static void sig_handler(int signal, siginfo_t *info, void *context) {
        if (signal != SIGILL) return;
        if (*(char*)info->si_addr != (char)0x9f) abort();
        greg_t *regs = ((ucontext_t*)context)->uc_mcontext.gregs;
        ((char*)&regs[REG_RAX])[1] = ((char*)&regs[REG_EFL])[0];
        regs[REG_RIP]++;
}

static struct sigaction old_sa, new_sa = {
        .sa_flags    = SA_SIGINFO,
        .sa_sigaction = &sig_handler };

int _init() { sigaction(SIGILL, &new_sa, &old_sa); return 0; }
int _fini() { sigaction(SIGILL, &old_sa, &new_sa); return 0; }


harksaw 01-31-2010 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrinkledcheese (Post 3788009)
I do get an error when it crashes.

Code:

/usr/lib64/firefox-3.5.5/run-mozilla.sh: line 131:  3566 Illegal instruction    "$prog" ${1+"$@"}
When I run that cat cpuinfo command you mentioned it doesn't output anything. I will try installing what you had mentioned and update this post. Hopefully this will help someone someday...aside from me.

This worked for me. Because I had a little trouble finding the fix, due to flash and my lazyness to uninstall it I have included it here.

Save the code below in a c file. Compile instructions are included in the header of the file.

Code:

/* Simple work-around for running the 64-bit Adobe Flash plug-in version 10
  on Athlon64 processors without support for the lahf instruction.

Compile with:
cc -fPIC -shared -nostdlib -lc -oflashplugin-lahf-fix.so flashplugin-lahf-fix.c
Then place the .so file in the plug-in directory (e.g. $HOME/.mozilla/plugins)
or use LD_PRELOAD to force Firefox to load the library.

  - Maks Verver <maksverver@geocities.com> July 2009 */

#define _GNU_SOURCE
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <signal.h>
#include <ucontext.h>

static void sig_handler(int signal, siginfo_t *info, void *context) {
        if (signal != SIGILL) return;
        if (*(char*)info->si_addr != (char)0x9f) abort();
        greg_t *regs = ((ucontext_t*)context)->uc_mcontext.gregs;
        ((char*)&regs[REG_RAX])[1] = ((char*)&regs[REG_EFL])[0];
        regs[REG_RIP]++;
}

static struct sigaction old_sa, new_sa = {
        .sa_flags    = SA_SIGINFO,
        .sa_sigaction = &sig_handler };

int _init() { sigaction(SIGILL, &new_sa, &old_sa); return 0; }
int _fini() { sigaction(SIGILL, &old_sa, &new_sa); return 0; }


This is immensely helpful. Thank you!

I still have a problem in that flash 64 has no sound. Does anyone know how to go about resolving that?

wrinkledcheese 02-02-2010 09:03 PM

I didn't have any issues with sound but after reading the first three pages of this thread:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/sla...-no-sound.html

I found at least a dozen things to check for sound issues with flash. It seems pretty distribution specific at times but mostly non-distro specific things to check as well.

Hope this helps.

[edit]
After reading the fourth page, there are Slackware issues mentioned and KDE issues mentioned as well.

Galib 02-11-2010 03:15 AM

I also just got a fresh install of Slackware 13 x64. I've got flash working with no sound, using the SlackBuild found on the cd.

Let me know if anyone comes to any conclusions.

brianL 02-12-2010 04:22 AM

I'm using the latest release with no problems. Expanded the .tar.gz, then copied the libflashplayer.so to /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins.

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flas...r10_64bit.html

meetscott 06-07-2010 02:30 PM

I've got no sound either. I'm 64 bit and I'm following what people say here. I hate flash.

Eternal_Newbie 06-09-2010 05:36 AM

Flash tends to default to outputting sound to the first alsa device it finds, which is often not the default device. The best way I have found of making it output to default or your preferred device is with an ~/.asoundrc file in your home directory, eg:
Code:

pcm.!default {
type hw
card 1
}

ctl.!default {
type hw
card 1
}

It should look similar to the above, your card number will quite possibly different so check first.

This command should list all configured alsa playback devices so you can find the one you want to use:
Code:

aplay -l
More details in this thread: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...s-card-809773/

If you do use an .asoundrc file remember that it over-rides all other alsa settings so change or delete it if you change sound cards


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 AM.