LinuxQuestions.org
Go Job Hunting at the LQ Job Marketplace
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 10-13-2006, 03:04 PM   #1
yakoub
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Posts: 89

Rep: Reputation: 15
xterm faceName resource


when i do xterm -fa "Luxi Mono" the font is good

but when writing in ~/.Xresource
xterm*faceName: "Luxi Mono" , then issue
xrdb -merge .Xresource
it doesn't work and i get default font in xterm
how do i configure xterm resource to use Luxi Mono ?

on the otherhand if i write xterm*faceName: courier
then i see courier with no problems

Last edited by yakoub; 10-13-2006 at 03:08 PM.
 
Old 10-14-2006, 05:21 PM   #2
comprookie2000
Gentoo Developer
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: Fort Lauderdale FL.
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 3,291
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 54
From man xterm;

faceName (class FaceName)
Specify the pattern for fonts selected from the FreeType library if support for that library was compiled into xterm. There is no default. If not specified, or if there is no match for both normal and bold fonts, xterm uses the font and related resources.
try something like;
Code:
xterm*cursorColor: red
xterm*colorMode: true
xterm*pointerColor: yellow
xterm*background: black
xterm*foreground: white
xterm*saveLines:4500
xterm*geometry: 110x40+20+5
xterm*loginShell: True
xterm*font: -*-terminus-medium-*-*-*-16-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1
use xfonsel to pick a font.

Last edited by comprookie2000; 10-14-2006 at 05:25 PM.
 
Old 10-15-2006, 10:45 AM   #3
yakoub
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Posts: 89

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by comprookie2000
From man xterm;

faceName (class FaceName)
Specify the pattern for fonts selected from the FreeType library if support for that library was compiled into xterm. There is no default. If not specified, or if there is no match for both normal and bold fonts, xterm uses the font and related resources.
try something like;
Code:
xterm*cursorColor: red
xterm*colorMode: true
xterm*pointerColor: yellow
xterm*background: black
xterm*foreground: white
xterm*saveLines:4500
xterm*geometry: 110x40+20+5
xterm*loginShell: True
xterm*font: -*-terminus-medium-*-*-*-16-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1
use xfonsel to pick a font.
you are an idiot , i didn't ask about all the resources you
wrote in your reply , only about faceName .
and i can run xterm -fa "Luxi Mono" and it uses the font i want
but the problem is when i write "Luxi Mono" as xterm*faceName

Last edited by yakoub; 10-16-2006 at 06:30 AM.
 
Old 10-15-2006, 03:07 PM   #4
XavierP
Moderator
 
Registered: Nov 2002
Location: Kent, England
Distribution: Lubuntu
Posts: 19,176
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 430Reputation: 430Reputation: 430Reputation: 430Reputation: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakoub
you are an idiot , i didn't ask about all the resources you
wrote in your reply , only about faceName .
and i can run xterm -fa "Luxi Mono" and it uses the font i want
but the problem is when i write "Luxi Mono" as xterm*fontName
  1. We do not condone name calling here
  2. I read Comprookie's answer as saying that answer you need is contained in what s/he posted - if you don't thin that's the answer, post why
  3. Play nicely - LQ is a community and, as such, we are all friends here.
 
Old 10-16-2006, 06:29 AM   #5
yakoub
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Posts: 89

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
simple

the correction is simply not to use quotes :
[ xterm*faceName: Luxi Mono ]
not [ xterm*faceName: "Luxi Mono" ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierP
[*]We do not condone name calling here
i withdraw from calling him idiot but
i still hold on saying his answer was very stupid
Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierP
[*]I read Comprookie's answer as saying that answer you need is contained in what s/he posted - if you don't thin that's the answer, post why
he quoted the manual but didn't point out where
that manual offers a solution , i have allready
wrote .Xresources and know which resource i need

then he wrote his own .Xresource example which
doesn't give faceName a different font than "Luxi Mono"
which i didn't ask about .

and xlsfont is not needed since faceName doesn't
use font name but pattern name and i have allready
run [ xterm -fa "Luxi Mono" ] so i know the font i want .
Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierP
[*]Play nicely - LQ is a community and, as such, we are all friends here.
i respect that but it doesn't mean we need to be
all spineless here and one should be allowed to
express his frustration from time to time ..

Last edited by yakoub; 10-16-2006 at 06:32 AM.
 
Old 10-16-2006, 12:29 PM   #6
XavierP
Moderator
 
Registered: Nov 2002
Location: Kent, England
Distribution: Lubuntu
Posts: 19,176
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 430Reputation: 430Reputation: 430Reputation: 430Reputation: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakoub
i respect that but it doesn't mean we need to be
all spineless here and one should be allowed to
express his frustration from time to time ..
Mmm, but do it offline. There is a difference between having a backbone and simply being rude. Especially on the internet, for goodness sake.

Anyway, glad you got it working.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
xterm - howto lauch an xterm into a specific directory jobano Linux - Software 8 02-26-2008 03:18 PM
When I tries to execute the xterm i got this message: xterm: no available ptys johnsanty Other *NIX 4 09-20-2006 12:29 PM
xterm alt becomes compose? Only xterm affected. -0- Linux - Software 0 09-12-2006 11:59 PM
how is black xterm background in IceWM when issue a xterm command? BRAHmS Linux - Software 1 02-14-2005 03:51 AM
Resource trouble DigiCrime Linux - General 1 09-09-2004 03:15 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:25 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration