xrandr reports HDMI1 being disconnected when it's connected
My main desktop died recently, so my laptop running Slackware 64 14.0 multilib is now my only option to work on. I'm trying to setup a pseudo-docking station at my desk, and everything is working except hooking it up to my 27" LED monitor.
This is my first experience with multi-monitor support in Linux, so I started by running xrandr and get the following output:
I tried searching around the forums, and the web at large, but couldn't find anyone describing this issue. Seems like most people can get the display to detect automatically, and all the posts I found about it were dealing with sound and not video.
If anyone could shed some light on this, it would be greatly appreciated!
*EDIT* I forgot to mention one other detail last night. I have also tried the Fn-F1 key combination to switch between displays, but the key doesn't do anything. All my other Fn key combinations are working, and I see the dell_laptop and dell_wmi modules loaded.
OK, I figured out what was going on.
The problem was caused by my Optimus/Bumblebee setup. I finally stumbled across this wiki article explaining the issue.
To fix it, I had to completely remove all the bumblebee packages (they were all marked with bbsb to make it easy), remove the nouveau-blacklist package, then reinstall mesa and mesa-compat32. After a reboot, my HDMI was working automatically, and immediately on starting X.
It seems a choice must be made between nVidia binary blob performance, or HDMI support. Since I think the blame for this problem falls on nVidia for not releasing proper documentation for their hardware, I'm reverting to the nouveau driver. We'll show them! ;)
I have Asus U36JC with GeForce 310M and I was struggling with a proper HDMI1 configuration for past 2 days. xrandr reported HDMI1 not connected at all times.
Solution for people who prefer to follow pareto rule:
and now you have:
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:11 AM.|