LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   XFE and Tooltips (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/xfe-and-tooltips-611603/)

Woodsman 01-06-2008 09:04 PM

XFE and Tooltips
 
I would like to grow warmer toward XFE (X File Explorer), but the tooltips drive me nuts. I'm hoping there is an easy RTFM way to disable tooltips that I overlooked. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

titopoquito 01-07-2008 05:02 AM

No, I think there is no good way at the moment. In the configuration file (~/.xfe/xferc) there are two options for tooltips, but it seems they don't get read or applied.

You can get rid of the tooltips though if you change one line in the source code before compiling. Edit src/xfedefs.h and change lines 67-69 (version 1.04) to look like this:
Code:

#ifndef TOOLTIP_TIME
#define TOOLTIP_TIME 0
#endif

This removed the tooltips for me.

Woodsman 01-12-2008 02:47 PM

Quote:

No, I think there is no good way at the moment. In the configuration file (~/.xfe/xferc) there are two options for tooltips, but it seems they don't get read or applied.
Yes, I did not mention that in my original post, but I noticed the options too. I tried various numbers hoping to at least delay the tooltips from appearing, but to no avail.

Quote:

You can get rid of the tooltips though if you change one line in the source code before compiling. Edit src/xfedefs.h and change lines 67-69 (version 1.04) to look like this:
I added a "sed" line to the SlackBuild script to edit xfedefs.h on-the-fly and I just finished recompiling. Seems to work just great. Thank you!

titopoquito 01-12-2008 06:15 PM

You're welcome, glad it works :)

Woodsman 06-16-2008 04:39 PM

FYI:

Version 1.19 of Xfe is now available. No more on-the-fly modifications to the configuration build files are needed to disable directory and file tooltips. Tooltips remain available but easily disabled through the Preferences. Tooltips for the toolbar buttons remain active with that same change. A welcomed usability improvement. :)

adriv 06-16-2008 05:42 PM

Thanks for the tip.
Gonna try 1.19 right now. :)

silverbird 06-17-2008 08:14 AM

After reading this thread I decided to try xfe - have just installed it.

I thought it said it could be run from the command line, but when I try I get unable to open display 0,0

I was so pleased as a new Slackware user to successfully build my first package - xfe works if I use a terminal after I have typed startx (xfce wm) but I thought it could be used without startx.

adriv 06-17-2008 11:23 AM

If you want a filemanager that runs without X, try Midnight Commander (just type mc).

tuxrules 06-17-2008 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsman (Post 3013786)
I would like to grow warmer toward XFE (X File Explorer), but the tooltips drive me nuts. I'm hoping there is an easy RTFM way to disable tooltips that I overlooked. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Thanks for introducing me to XFE...seems like just what I was looking for.

Woodsman 06-20-2008 09:02 PM

Quote:

I thought it said it could be run from the command line, but when I try I get unable to open display 0,0
From an xterm console, yes. Not from outside of X.

Three things I have not yet figured out with xfe:

1. How to provide some indication I am running xfe as root. I like the way konqueror supports this by simply modifying the background color. Thunar does something similar with a red bar.

2. How to convert the bookmarks into human readable descriptions. Piece of cake with konqueror.

3. How to make xfe blend into the overall KDE look-and-feel. I've tried all the themes but none make me smile. :scratch:

Woodsman 08-20-2008 07:11 PM

Quote:

1. How to provide some indication I am running xfe as root. I like the way konqueror supports this by simply modifying the background color. Thunar does something similar with a red bar.
There is a way to do this. I'm using version 1.19.2. Head into Preferences, select the Themes tab, then play with the colors. I set my background to pinkish (#FDD9E6/253-217-230), just like I have had in Konqueror for many years. This background color helps remind me I'm using xfe as root.

My root xfe colors (from my /root/.xfe/xferc config file):

[SETTINGS]
listforecolor=Black
forecolor=Black
basecolor=#dcdad5
selforecolor=Gray100
selbackcolor=#4b6983
highlightcolor=#eeeeee
bordercolor=Black
listbackcolor=Gray100
backcolor=Gray100


Quote:

How to convert the bookmarks into human readable descriptions. Piece of cake with konqueror.
No solution yet found. :(

Quote:

How to make xfe blend into the overall KDE look-and-feel. I've tried all the themes but none make me smile.
Select this through Preferences or edit the $HOME/.xfe/xferc config file:

[SETTINGS]
iconpath=/usr/share/xfe/icons/kde-theme


I hope this helps.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:51 AM.