LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 12-31-2011, 05:05 AM   #436
disturbed1
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Location: USA
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,133
Blog Entries: 6

Rep: Reputation: 223Reputation: 223Reputation: 223

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlpa View Post
Has anyone have tumblerd application consuming 100% of cpu?
In my XFCE 4.8 from time to time it happens and i have to kill it manually.
tumblerd may also cause problems with removable drives. It's the daemon that handles thumbnail duties. As it happens for me, if I mount an SD card from my camera, and attempt to remove the card before tumbler has had a chance to finish its work, or it hangs on particular file, just about anything can happen. Unable to mount device, tumbler never closes, tumbler crashes ...

If this is happening often to you in the same directories, it might be a corrupt file that tumbler is trying to access, a corrupt file in the thumbnail cache - Or tumbler has a bug with this/that/those particular files. If you have a billion photos in a single directory .... well

Sometimes deleting .thumbnails in your home directory may fix the problem.

0.1.23 had several fixes, at least one fix was for handling broken png files.
Thu Dec 8 00:54:14 UTC 2011
Rebuilt xfce (BUILD=22_rlw) to upgrade tumbler (0.1.23)
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Click here to see the post LQ members have rated as the most helpful post in this thread.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:53 AM   #437
mlpa
Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Aveiro
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 485

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 34
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbed1 View Post
tumblerd may also cause problems with removable drives. It's the daemon that handles thumbnail duties. As it happens for me, if I mount an SD card from my camera, and attempt to remove the card before tumbler has had a chance to finish its work, or it hangs on particular file, just about anything can happen. Unable to mount device, tumbler never closes, tumbler crashes ...

If this is happening often to you in the same directories, it might be a corrupt file that tumbler is trying to access, a corrupt file in the thumbnail cache - Or tumbler has a bug with this/that/those particular files. If you have a billion photos in a single directory .... well

Sometimes deleting .thumbnails in your home directory may fix the problem.

0.1.23 had several fixes, at least one fix was for handling broken png files.
Thu Dec 8 00:54:14 UTC 2011
Rebuilt xfce (BUILD=22_rlw) to upgrade tumbler (0.1.23)
Thanks for the info, I already have that last version of Robby packages.
I will delete the thumbnails and see what happens
 
Old 01-10-2012, 06:53 PM   #438
cwizardone
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Distribution: Slackware64-current & "True Multilib." PC-BSD.
Posts: 2,217

Rep: Reputation: 176Reputation: 176
Weather Plug-in

Quote:
Originally Posted by rworkman View Post
And then there is this:
http://slackbuilds.org/cgit/slackbui...6a865f8f309f86

That link will be broken once that branch is merged to master (which happens before the next public update).
Has the weather plug-in gone south, again?
It will install to the panel and search and find any location I request, but it will not update the weather information.
Thanks.
 
Old 01-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #439
rworkman
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama (USA)
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,912

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwizardone View Post
Has the weather plug-in gone south, again?
It will install to the panel and search and find any location I request, but it will not update the weather information.
It's done that to me once; removing it from the panel and reinstalling it made things okay again. No idea. :/
 
Old 01-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #440
cwizardone
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Distribution: Slackware64-current & "True Multilib." PC-BSD.
Posts: 2,217

Rep: Reputation: 176Reputation: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by rworkman View Post
It's done that to me once; removing it from the panel and reinstalling it made things okay again. No idea. :/
Tried that that. Didn't help. By watching the modem lights I can see that it is trying to get the information, but it finally gives up and if you put the mouse cursor over the icon on the panel it says, "Cannot update weather data."
 
Old 01-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #441
Ahau
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: USA
Distribution: Porteus, Slackware
Posts: 58

Rep: Reputation: 19
I have a question about the slackbuild for the main xfce package. Here's an excerpt from it, where you're establishing package specific configure options:

Code:
# Here's where we patch or set up any other package-specific stuff:
# Disable hal support in exo and xfce4-session

if [ "$file" = "exo-$EXO_VERS.tar.$COMPRESSION" -o "$file" = "xfce4-session-$SESSION_VERS.tar.xz" ]; then
        PACKAGE_SPECIFIC_OPTIONS="--disable-hal"
      fi

      # Enable gnome keyring support in xfce4-session
      if [ "$file" = "xfce4-session-$SESSION_VERS.tar.$COMPRESSION" ]; then
        PACKAGE_SPECIFIC_OPTIONS="--enable-libgnome-keyring"
      fi
This might just be my ignorance when it comes to scripting, but in the case of xfce4-session, won't the second if/fi statement overwrite the PACKAGE_SPECIFIC_OPTIONS variable, which would lead to hal remaining enabled for xfce4-session?

I came across this because I was compiling xfce4-session by itself, in order to apply a patch:

https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7887

We've had some experience with xfce4-session bumping users back to the login manager when shutdown or reboot is selected from the xfce menu. For some odd reason, it only seems to happen on an ext2 filesystem. On all filesystems, however, xfce4-session crashes the xorg-server when either of these buttons are selected. This patch seems to resolve the issue on my end.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:14 PM   #442
cwizardone
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Distribution: Slackware64-current & "True Multilib." PC-BSD.
Posts: 2,217

Rep: Reputation: 176Reputation: 176
Looks like the panel has been upgraded to version 4.9 ?

http://archive.xfce.org/src/xfce/xfce4-panel/4.9
 
Old 01-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #443
disturbed1
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Location: USA
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,133
Blog Entries: 6

Rep: Reputation: 223Reputation: 223Reputation: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwizardone View Post
Looks like the panel has been upgraded to version 4.9 ?

http://archive.xfce.org/src/xfce/xfce4-panel/4.9
4.9 is not the production version. This is the beta/dev version for what will become part of xfce 4.10.

Xfce is working towards 4.10 and also fixing bugs as they can for the 4.8 release.
 
Old 01-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #444
rworkman
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama (USA)
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,912

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahau View Post
I have a question about the slackbuild for the main xfce package. Here's an excerpt from it, where you're establishing package specific configure options:

Code:
# Here's where we patch or set up any other package-specific stuff:
# Disable hal support in exo and xfce4-session

if [ "$file" = "exo-$EXO_VERS.tar.$COMPRESSION" -o "$file" = "xfce4-session-$SESSION_VERS.tar.xz" ]; then
        PACKAGE_SPECIFIC_OPTIONS="--disable-hal"
      fi

      # Enable gnome keyring support in xfce4-session
      if [ "$file" = "xfce4-session-$SESSION_VERS.tar.$COMPRESSION" ]; then
        PACKAGE_SPECIFIC_OPTIONS="--enable-libgnome-keyring"
      fi
This might just be my ignorance when it comes to scripting, but in the case of xfce4-session, won't the second if/fi statement overwrite the PACKAGE_SPECIFIC_OPTIONS variable, which would lead to hal remaining enabled for xfce4-session?
Good catch - you're absolutely correct. The good part is that it doesn't matter here because hal isn't installed in the build environment, so the autodetection disables anyway. Even so, I fixed my local copy of the script to use VAR+=value -- thanks!

Quote:
I came across this because I was compiling xfce4-session by itself, in order to apply a patch:

https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7887

We've had some experience with xfce4-session bumping users back to the login manager when shutdown or reboot is selected from the xfce menu. For some odd reason, it only seems to happen on an ext2 filesystem. On all filesystems, however, xfce4-session crashes the xorg-server when either of these buttons are selected. This patch seems to resolve the issue on my end.
No idea on that - I've not observed anything close to that behavior.
 
Old 01-13-2012, 12:05 PM   #445
Ahau
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: USA
Distribution: Porteus, Slackware
Posts: 58

Rep: Reputation: 19
Great, thanks! Porteus (the slack-based distro I'm building xfce for) does have hal support enabled in the 32-bit version, but not 64. I added a fix to my build script (which downloads your sources and slackbuilds and modifies them a bit, then builds them), but it looks like I can remove it for my next build

The xfce4-session bug was not an easy one for me to catch, because on most systems, there's nothing visibly wrong. You push 'shutdown' or 'reboot' from the xfce menu, and the system appears to do exactly that --it just crashes xorg on the way down (also, I typically halt the system from the command line in Terminal rather than using the menu, which works fine). Of course, since I'm not running pure slackware, maybe things are different on your end. You may want to try shutting down from the menu, and then check your login manager log for anything unusual. This is what I was getting in my slim.log:

Code:
Terminal: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.
** Message: xfsm-shutdown-helper.c:1470: Using ConsoleKit to Restart
xfsettingsd: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.
gdu-notification-daemon: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.
wicd-client.py: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.
Importing pynotify failed, notifications disabled.
Has notifications support False
Loading...
Connecting to daemon...
Connected.
displaytray True
Done loading.

slim: waiting for X server to shut down

/usr/bin/xauth:  file /var/run/slim.auth does not exist


X.Org X Server 1.9.5
Release Date: 2011-03-17
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Slackware 13.37 Slackware Linux Project
Current Operating System: Linux porteus 3.1.1-porteus #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Nov 21 10:47:37 UTC 2011 i686
Kernel command line: root=/dev/ram0 rootfstype=ext4 rw initrd=/32/boot/initrd.xz from_dev=UUID:b459f3f5-b0c4-4462-a638-889d03cd8c19 from_dir=/32/porteus/ vga=791 toroot xfce changes=/dev/sdb2/32/ BOOT_IMAGE=/32/boot/vmlinuz 
Build Date: 18 March 2011  12:08:03AM
 
Current version of pixman: 0.20.2
	Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
	to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
	(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
	(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Thu Dec 22 13:13:31 2011
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(EE) Failed to load module "nv" (module does not exist, 0)
resize called 1680 1050
slim: unexpected signal 15
that excerpt starts when I hit the 'reboot' button from the menu, and you can see that Terminal, xfsettingsd, gdu-notification-daemon and wicd-client all lose their connection to the X server (instead of being killed cleanly). Then, since xorg crashed, it restarts and brings the user back to the SLiM login screen instead of proceeding to shut down (this part only happens on an ext2 filesystem). On my system it would hang at the login screen for five seconds and then shut down, but on other systems, it would stay there indefinitely.
 
Old 03-20-2012, 11:05 AM   #446
cwizardone
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Distribution: Slackware64-current & "True Multilib." PC-BSD.
Posts: 2,217

Rep: Reputation: 176Reputation: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwizardone View Post
Has the weather plug-in gone south, again?
It will install to the panel and search and find any location I request, but it will not update the weather information.
Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rworkman View Post
It's done that to me once; removing it from the panel and reinstalling it made things okay again. No idea. :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwizardone View Post
Tried that that. Didn't help. By watching the modem lights I can see that it is trying to get the information, but it finally gives up and if you put the mouse cursor over the icon on the panel it says, "Cannot update weather data."
Just an update: Over the last couple of months I've installed (and un-installed) a couple of different packages and have built and installed (and un-installed) the SlackBuild version a few times and the weather plug-in has refused to work.
Last night I built it again and, again, it refused to work, It would install to the panel, but repeated what I described in the quote just above.
This morning I was looking at the set-up options for the weather plug-in and noticed (I've seen it before) that it can be used with a proxy. So, I fired up Tor, filled in the information in the plug-in properties box, and BINGO the thing worked. Very weird, but it works.


On another note, I've gotten very comfortable with Xfce 4.6.2 and see no need (for myself) to use Xfce 4.8.x. I've tried all 26 of the builds of Xfce 4.8.x that Mr. Workman has been kind enough to provide, but there has always been one problem or the other, none of which occur in 4.6.2. Unless 4.10 fixes the problems in 4.8.x, and turns out to be as stable as 4.6.2, I don't foresee there will be any reason to use it. Time will tell.

Last edited by cwizardone; 03-20-2012 at 11:18 AM.
 
  


Reply

Tags
xfce 4.8 final


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to install xfce 4.6 at /opt/xfce? josealexandre Linux - General 2 03-01-2009 12:31 PM
XFce and Compiz : xfce doesn't manage the desktop naaman Linux - Desktop 0 07-16-2008 01:39 AM
XFCE Network ServersI use XFCE (sometimes) but I can not find my network folders on a holzster Ubuntu 0 10-24-2006 05:48 PM
Xfce problems with task bar and xfce-panel aeruzcar Linux - Software 4 06-26-2006 05:29 AM
Xfce!! Enter_Slackgirl Linux - Newbie 3 03-14-2004 08:11 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:30 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration