LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 07-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
hitest
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: Prince Rupert, B.C., Canada
Distribution: Slackware, OpenBSD
Posts: 4,171

Rep: Reputation: 534Reputation: 534Reputation: 534Reputation: 534Reputation: 534Reputation: 534
Cool XFce 4.10 in -current


We are at beta level.

http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackwar.../ChangeLog.txt
 
Old 07-22-2012, 07:03 PM   #2
willysr
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: Jogja, Indonesia
Distribution: Slackware-Current
Posts: 2,555

Rep: Reputation: 424Reputation: 424Reputation: 424Reputation: 424Reputation: 424
Nice!!!
 
Old 07-22-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
apeitheo
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2006
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 26

Rep: Reputation: 8
Great news! Looking forward to 14.0.
 
Old 07-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #4
ponce
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Pisa, Italy
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 2,447

Rep: Reputation: 875Reputation: 875Reputation: 875Reputation: 875Reputation: 875Reputation: 875Reputation: 875
aah, lotta nice additions there!
I think Steve Kennedy, that started working on gnome-3.4 for -current, will be happy too.
Thanks, people!
 
Old 07-22-2012, 07:37 PM   #5
BrZ
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 494

Rep: Reputation: 81
Anxious and syncing =]
 
Old 07-22-2012, 07:38 PM   #6
fogpipe
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Distribution: Slackware 64 Current
Posts: 329

Rep: Reputation: 77
Hooray!
I dont really like xfce but i want to like it, so its great to have the latest version if im going to be dissapointed anyway.
 
Old 07-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #7
hitest
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: Prince Rupert, B.C., Canada
Distribution: Slackware, OpenBSD
Posts: 4,171

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 534Reputation: 534Reputation: 534Reputation: 534Reputation: 534Reputation: 534
I'm really liking XFce 4.10. First rate!

Last edited by hitest; 09-08-2014 at 09:02 AM.
 
Old 07-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #8
WoefulNarvik
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2012
Distribution: Slackware, Salix
Posts: 18

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitest View Post
I'm really liking XFce 4.10. First rate!
Very nice!
 
Old 07-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #9
T3slider
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Distribution: Slackware64-14.1
Posts: 2,252

Rep: Reputation: 631Reputation: 631Reputation: 631Reputation: 631Reputation: 631Reputation: 631
And with it comes GConf.
 
Old 07-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #10
bobzilla
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: Serbia
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 175

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Xfce series? Nice. We Xfcers are not second grade citizens in Slackland anymore. I'm so excited about 14.0. And some really nice additions. Barely wait to update my Slack current box.
 
Old 07-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #11
disturbed1
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Location: USA
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,133
Blog Entries: 6

Rep: Reputation: 223Reputation: 223Reputation: 223
Thanks for including some of the extras too.
Really appreciate the additions of the various goodies/plugins. This batch of updates has/will significantly reduce the time needed to manage, and the size of our personal repo. Digging the additional xfce directory.

Of course you can't please everyone
Wish there there was a way to get a GTK login manager (GDM) included, along with a GTK editor (Gedit+Gedit Plugins)

Pat -- thanks for the explanation about udev! Love the verbose communication we've received during this dev cycle.

Considering mozilla-nss is now included - any thoughts on including separate mozilla-nss and nspr, then adjusting the SlackBuilds for firefox/seamonkey to use more system libraries (sqlite, nss, nspr ....)? Building this way, leaves seamonkey-solibs with only libmozjs.so. Could seamonkey-solibs be nuked since js185 has been added?

Looking at my Xfce 4.10 build, which is just an extension of Robby's 4.8, I've noticed a couple of missing packages -
avahi
libdaemon (needed by at least avahi)
libunique(2.x) (needed by at least xfce4-notes-plugin)
libunique(3.x) (needed by at least gnome-disk-utility)
gnome-disk-utility -- wonder how the newer versions which depend on udisks2 will work out, 3.0.2 is working fine here.

gnome-keyring could benefit from the use of libcap{-ng}, as it seems the common way to install the gnome-keyring-daemon binary is with cap_ipc_lock=ep instead of using suid. Far beyond my knowledge, might be worth investigating none-the-less.

Last edited by disturbed1; 07-22-2012 at 10:20 PM.
 
Old 07-22-2012, 10:22 PM   #12
sahko
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,041

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Code:
l/loudmouth-1.4.3-i486-3.txz:  Rebuilt.
        Rebuilt with --enable-debug=yes, which I hear disables debugging messages on
          the console.  Go figure.  :-)  Thanks to Youjie Zhou.
I guess this must solve the annoying output i had when testing irssi-xmpp which i had reported back then.

Yay for split xfce packages and seperate series.

Last edited by sahko; 07-22-2012 at 10:23 PM.
 
Old 07-22-2012, 10:48 PM   #13
rworkman
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama (USA)
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,913

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbed1 View Post
Thanks for including some of the extras too.
Really appreciate the additions of the various goodies/plugins. This batch of updates has/will significantly reduce the time needed to manage, and the size of our personal repo. Digging the additional xfce directory.

Of course you can't please everyone
Wish there there was a way to get a GTK login manager (GDM) included
gdm-2.20.x is the last one we could possibly ship. 2.x stuff newer than that require PAM (and later, something else too iirc), and the 3.x stuff require all of that plus something else that I couldn't be bothered to figure out -- basically, even with PAM and whatever else, gdm-3.x wouldn't work here. I decided to quit fighting it and just use kdm -- it works fine, and aside from not supporting suspend/hibernate from the greeter window, it does everything I want it to do.

Quote:
along with a GTK editor (Gedit+Gedit Plugins)
gvim is already included ;-)

Quote:
Considering mozilla-nss is now included - any thoughts on including separate mozilla-nss and nspr, then adjusting the SlackBuilds for firefox/seamonkey to use more system libraries (sqlite, nss, nspr ....)? Building this way, leaves seamonkey-solibs with only libmozjs.so. Could seamonkey-solibs be nuked since js185 has been added?
This one is above my pay grade, so I'll stay quiet except to say that the Mozilla folks probably wouldn't like that deviation to use more system libs.

Quote:
Looking at my Xfce 4.10 build, which is just an extension of Robby's 4.8, I've noticed a couple of missing packages -
avahi
libdaemon (needed by at least avahi)
libunique(2.x) (needed by at least xfce4-notes-plugin)
libunique(3.x) (needed by at least gnome-disk-utility)
gnome-disk-utility -- wonder how the newer versions which depend on udisks2 will work out, 3.0.2 is working fine here.
Well, if udisks2 is present, gvfs will build a volume monitor that uses it, so we didn't need gnome-disk-utility (for the gdu-volume-monitor). Since we don't need gnome-disk-utility, there's no need for libunique or avahi, so there's no need for libdaemon. As an aside, gnome-disk-utility as of 3.4.x is only the "disks" utility (which used to be palimpsest or some such)...

Quote:
gnome-keyring could benefit from the use of libcap{-ng}, as it seems the common way to install the gnome-keyring-daemon binary is with cap_ipc_lock=ep instead of using suid. Far beyond my knowledge, might be worth investigating none-the-less.
Hrm, I'm confused. It's not installed suid here - why would it need to be?
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:05 AM   #14
disturbed1
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Location: USA
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,133
Blog Entries: 6

Rep: Reputation: 223Reputation: 223Reputation: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by rworkman View Post
gdm-2.20.x is the last one we could possibly ship. 2.x stuff newer than that require PAM (and later, something else too iirc), and the 3.x stuff require all of that plus something else that I couldn't be bothered to figure out -- basically, even with PAM and whatever else, gdm-3.x wouldn't work here. I decided to quit fighting it and just use kdm -- it works fine, and aside from not supporting suspend/hibernate from the greeter window, it does everything I want it to do.
GDM 2.20.11 serves it's purpose here. I suppose XDM is always an option as well. May have to dig out my old notes on customizing XDM.

Thanks for the insight and info on the other topics.
Those other applications I mentioned are easy enough to obtain and manage through slackbuilds.org.
 
Old 07-24-2012, 10:22 AM   #15
hitest
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: Prince Rupert, B.C., Canada
Distribution: Slackware, OpenBSD
Posts: 4,171

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 534Reputation: 534Reputation: 534Reputation: 534Reputation: 534Reputation: 534
I am pleased that my USB thumb drives automount and function properly again. XFce 4.10 is a winner. I suspect that a RC is coming at some point.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] No screen after suspend in -current using XFCE Kreezii Slackware 3 06-27-2012 01:34 PM
Xfce in Current. cwizardone Slackware 3 12-17-2010 10:15 AM
Xfce & 'current.' cwizardone Slackware 2 09-13-2010 06:31 AM
Trying out xfce 4.6.1 in current some questions samac Slackware 9 06-17-2009 08:16 AM
xfce 4.2.0 haywire in current Artanicus Slackware 13 01-24-2005 03:08 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration