SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I have a problem with X. When I do "startx", gnome takes ages and ages to load. The screen looks crap, and I can't access ANY application through the graphical interface. All I can do is exit gnome, which also takes an age.
I get a long list of errors on my console afterwards, all of which are saying basically the same thing:
(gnome-panel:3914): libgnomevfs-WARNING **: Cannot load module '/usr/lib/gnome-vfs-2.0/modules/libfile.so' (libfam.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
not sure where you would have gotten gnome-vfs-2.8.2.
swaret should not have installed it because the current tree uses 220.127.116.11-2.
i'm sure you were told this before you installed swaret,
but make sure you DO NOT use the repositories...
double-check and make sure all the REPOS_ROOT lines are commented out.
nobody told me not to use the repositories, I thought that was what they were there for! anyway, ahem, now the damage is done, what can be done to rescue X do you think?
I don't mind hosing, I'm quite used to it and almost enjoy it by now, if that is the best course of action. I certainly don't want more messed up shkt going on further down the road. I did an --upgrade -a with the repos enabled, so there's god only knows what on my box now.
Not sure who or what dropline is (hope this answers your question).
dropline is another possible headache.
(at least it was for me)
the safest way would be to use the package browser at slackware.com.
compare what you have installed against the current tree...
uninstall anything that doesn't match and install the correct package.
there are faster ways:
-uninstall all standard packages
-reinstall all packages from cd
-upgrade without repositories enabled
but the risk level is higher
and you would have to edit all your .confs again
Hi, Im having the same problem and was wondering if you found a solution. BTW i dont use swaret, Im a good-ol' fashion manual package installer.
As a side note, this problem started occuring right after my computer shut down due to a power owtage while I was logged in gnome. I was thinking that there is a lock file somewhere that has not been deleted, that I need to delete? Also I should mention that everything in gnome starts up and works just fine. Its just the gnome splash screen freezes and pauses for a good 5 - 10 minutes while on the nautilus icon. I can do everything, its just really annoying. I have tried logging out of gnome and logging back in but that problem is still there.
I just reinstalled, but my problem was very different to yours
I've had a similar problem with stale locks, not on slackware but on redhat. It was after a power outage as well and seemed to correct itself after a while, not sure why, I was just messing around with the preferences in nautilus one day, then everything was fine again.
I never tried this, but was going to before things righted themselves, but you could try to backup then delete .gnome .gconfd and .nautilus directories of the home account that's giving you the problem then start a new gnome session. Should solve the problem in case cdparanoia doesn't.
I backed up my .gnome, .gnome2, .nautilus, and .gnome_private directories and deleted them. The next time I started gnome the problem was fixed. Im not sure exactly which of the directories caused the problem, but its fixed. The only downside to this method is I had to reset up my panels and icons as the settings for those are in one of the folders I deleted, luckly its not too hard though.