SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
Make sure you're using a font that can handle the language you want to view. Many older and simpler fonts only cover the basic western scripts. There are some good unicode fonts out there, for example, that support most major languages. You may need to hunt down special fonts for the rarer languages.
Also, Firefox or other web browsers have the option to switch locale settings for the pages they display, since websites can be written in many different encodings.
I took a look at /usr/lib/X11/fonts, where there are directories like 100dpi, 75dpi, etc. In there, there are no files which have UTF in their name, while there are many which have ISO-8859-1, for example, and so on.
Does this mean that i don't have UTF-supporting fonts?
Moreover, in the encodings directory, there's no utf or unicode.
Have you tried the DejaVu font? It is a TrueType font with a lot of language support.
If you go to news.google.com, and go to the bottom of the page, you will see a list of the International Versions, which show the country name in the native language, a good test page to see if your fonts are right.
This is what i've done:
- downloaded dejavu fonts
- untar'ed and moved directory to $PREFIX/lib/fonts/dejavu
- cd into that directory
- mkfontdir .
- mkfontscale .
- checked fonts.dir and fonts.scale - they look fine, first line is 298, i suppose it's the number of fonts.
- restarted X
Result: still can't view unicode fonts correctly (i've checked news.google.com and another website with unicode samples)
EDIT: Moreover, if i comment the other "FontPath" lines, and leave only the dejavu one, X doesn't start and complains that it cannot find the defaull font 'fixed'.
My mistake, i had to copy the fonts to TTF and not to another directory. Now they work. But i've found out that windows ttf fonts cover more part of the unicode the the dejavu ones.
The website i use to test my fonts is http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/utf8.html.