LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   "X" does not recognize my PS/2 Mouse under Slackware 14.0 (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/x-does-not-recognize-my-ps-2-mouse-under-slackware-14-0-a-4175449380/)

Yaakov Ben-Avraham 02-10-2013 03:59 AM

"X" does not recognize my PS/2 Mouse under Slackware 14.0
 
Under Slackware 13.37, "X" recognized my PS/2 Mouse.
Under Slackware 14.0 , "X" does not recognize my PS/2 Mouse.

I answered "PS/2" for Mouse in "Setup" when I installed 14.0

What's up?

wildwizard 02-10-2013 04:49 AM

The question in setup is for gpm which gives you the mouse on a text console, it doesn't have anything to do with X unless it blocks X from the mouse.

Now, X has a nice log that it generates on start up you can find it in /var/log/Xorg.0.log if you paste that to http://pastebin.com/ we can have a look and offer some suggestions.

ml4711 02-10-2013 07:37 AM

Maybe the module psmouse is not loaded:

Se section about PS/2 mouse support in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules-3.2.29.

cynwulf 02-10-2013 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildwizard (Post 4888104)
The question in setup is for gpm which gives you the mouse on a text console, it doesn't have anything to do with X unless it blocks X from the mouse.

In my limited experience of gpm, it can do exactly that. I remember having to disable it 13.37 due to this and haven't enabled it for any install since.

Didier Spaier 02-10-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caravel (Post 4888392)
In my limited experience of gpm, it can do exactly that. I remember having to disable it 13.37 due to this and haven't enabled it for any install since.

The description of the gpm package says :

Quote:

NOTE: This program may cause problems when you start X on systems that do not use a serial mouse. If you get an 'unable to open mouse device' error from X, disable /etc/rc.d/rc.gpm.
But reading this it seems that a PS/2 mouse be a serial one, so I'm not sure that could be the cause in your case.

Now for the OP: you could have another problem, in that case as suggested by wildwizard please exhibit your X log.

volkerdi 02-10-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Didier Spaier (Post 4888459)
But reading this it seems that a PS/2 mouse be a serial one, so I'm not sure that could be the cause in your case.

While technically a PS/2 mouse is a serial mouse, when talking about a "serial mouse" we mean one that connects to a /dev/ttyS* device.

As noted in another thread, the problem in this particular case is likely to be a complete absence of kernel modules on the machine (at least for the running kernel).


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:01 PM.