LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   WWAN not getting enabled (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/wwan-not-getting-enabled-4175468762/)

inverse 07-07-2013 05:10 AM

WWAN not getting enabled
 
Hello all

I am trying to configure my mobile broadband, airtel 3G dongle. I am using Network Manager 0.9.4 version which is default installation in slackware 14.0. I am following the steps provided in the website below:
http://www.unixwerk.eu/linux/slack/vodafone.html

Now the problem is, when I am doing

Quote:

nmcli nm wwan on
WWAN is not getting enabled. It still show disabled.

And another problem is that I have added the connection but when I do

Quote:

nm-tool
It does not shows the connection.

Anyone having idea how to resolve this thing???

Should I upgrade my slackware 14.0 to slackware-current????

Thanks in advance.

[EDIT]
PS: WWAN hardware is enabled. I have restarted my system many times also.

Ser Olmy 07-07-2013 09:56 PM

Does the dongle show up when you run lsusb?

Are the correct kernel modules loaded? Could you post the output of lsmod?

inverse 07-08-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ser Olmy (Post 4985947)
Does the dongle show up when you run lsusb?

Are the correct kernel modules loaded? Could you post the output of lsmod?

The output of lsusb is:

Quote:

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0c45:63ee Microdia
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0a5c:4500 Broadcom Corp. BCM2046B1 USB 2.0 Hub (part of BCM2046 Bluetooth)
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 413c:8161 Dell Computer Corp. Integrated Keyboard
Bus 003 Device 004: ID 413c:8162 Dell Computer Corp. Integrated Touchpad [Synaptics]
Bus 003 Device 005: ID 413c:8160 Dell Computer Corp. Wireless 365 Bluetooth
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 19d2:1254 ZTE WCDMA Technologies MSM
The output of lsmod is:
Quote:

Module Size Used by
onda 13426 0
option 19791 0
usb_wwan 9198 2 option,onda
usbserial 31492 3 usb_wwan,option,onda
snd_seq_dummy 1455 0
snd_seq_oss 29048 0
snd_seq_midi_event 5620 1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq 51265 5 snd_seq_midi_event,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_dummy
snd_seq_device 5228 3 snd_seq,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_dummy
snd_pcm_oss 39183 0
snd_mixer_oss 15404 1 snd_pcm_oss
ipv6 279979 12
cpufreq_ondemand 6252 2
acpi_cpufreq 5773 1
mperf 1171 1 acpi_cpufreq
freq_table 2475 2 acpi_cpufreq,cpufreq_ondemand
lp 9787 0
ppdev 5958 0
parport_pc 19423 0
parport 31427 3 parport_pc,ppdev,lp
fuse 66626 7
btusb 11676 0
bluetooth 151679 1 btusb
b43 340351 0
mac80211 227731 1 b43
snd_hda_codec_idt 55294 1
uvcvideo 62784 0
joydev 9972 0
i915 419107 3
snd_hda_intel 23267 2
snd_hda_codec 81925 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec_idt
videodev 76679 1 uvcvideo
v4l2_compat_ioctl32 8660 1 videodev
cfg80211 169025 2 mac80211,b43
usbhid 35615 0
ssb 47856 1 b43
processor 25592 3 acpi_cpufreq
mmc_core 77850 2 ssb,b43
video 11378 1 i915
pcmcia 35720 2 ssb,b43
drm_kms_helper 26133 1 i915
hid 82876 1 usbhid
snd_hwdep 6324 1 snd_hda_codec
drm 187389 4 drm_kms_helper,i915
thermal 7983 0
pcmcia_core 12061 1 pcmcia
sky2 48305 0
thermal_sys 14578 3 thermal,video,processor
hwmon 1329 1 thermal_sys
dell_wmi 1509 0
sparse_keymap 3016 1 dell_wmi
psmouse 61704 0
dell_laptop 10592 0
rfkill 15428 4 bluetooth,dell_laptop,cfg80211
ums_realtek 7376 0
uas 8144 0
i2c_algo_bit 5319 1 i915
evdev 9574 11
wmi 8403 1 dell_wmi
snd_pcm 72864 3 snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss
snd_page_alloc 7081 2 snd_pcm,snd_hda_intel
snd_timer 18798 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd 57796 15 snd_timer,snd_pcm,snd_hwdep,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec_idt,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm_oss, snd_seq_device,snd_seq,snd_seq_oss
i2c_i801 8044 0
intel_agp 10864 1 i915
i2c_core 19978 6 i2c_i801,i2c_algo_bit,drm,drm_kms_helper,videodev,i915
serio_raw 4389 0
soundcore 5474 1 snd
dcdbas 5416 1 dell_laptop
intel_gtt 13833 3 intel_agp,i915
ac 3331 0
button 4529 1 i915
battery 11171 0
agpgart 27372 3 intel_gtt,intel_agp,drm
loop 18192 0
Now, how should i check whether appropriate kernel modules loaded???

I used wvdialconf and it did detected the datacard and showed in its wvdial.conf file at /dev/ttyUSB1. The only reason I am not able to run through wvdial because for PAP authentication it asks for username/password. And with this datacard, there is no username or password. So, everytime I try to connect it shows error for username/password. :(

What next???

And one more thing I would like to know. Soon I will be getting airtel 4G datacard. So in that case network manager and modem manager needs to be updated as network manager version 0.9.4 does not support 4G. So should i update my slack to current or just update the related packages???

Thanks

Ser Olmy 07-08-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inverse (Post 4986361)
The output of lsusb is:
Quote:

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0c45:63ee Microdia
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0a5c:4500 Broadcom Corp. BCM2046B1 USB 2.0 Hub (part of BCM2046 Bluetooth)
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 413c:8161 Dell Computer Corp. Integrated Keyboard
Bus 003 Device 004: ID 413c:8162 Dell Computer Corp. Integrated Touchpad [Synaptics]
Bus 003 Device 005: ID 413c:8160 Dell Computer Corp. Wireless 365 Bluetooth
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 19d2:1254 ZTE WCDMA Technologies MSM

I guess the Microdia device must be your 3G USB modem? Does the entry disappear when you unplug it?
Quote:

Originally Posted by inverse (Post 4986361)
Now, how should i check whether appropriate kernel modules loaded???

The usbserial, usb_wwan, option and onda modules are probably related to your modem.
Quote:

Originally Posted by inverse (Post 4986361)
I used wvdialconf and it did detected the datacard and showed in its wvdial.conf file at /dev/ttyUSB1. The only reason I am not able to run through wvdial because for PAP authentication it asks for username/password. And with this datacard, there is no username or password. So, everytime I try to connect it shows error for username/password. :(

The fact that a /dev/ttyUSB1 device exists is a good sign. As for wvdial, perhaps there's a log file with more detailed information?

inverse 07-09-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ser Olmy (Post 4986470)
I guess the Microdia device must be your 3G USB modem? Does the entry disappear when you unplug it?

no, actually, ZTE WCDMA Technologies MSM is my 3G USB modem

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ser Olmy (Post 4986470)
The usbserial, usb_wwan, option and onda modules are probably related to your modem.

Yes.

I think if my WWAN gets enabled then I will be able to connect with the help of Network Manager. Any idea how I can achieve that?? I have already mention that I tried by doing
Quote:

nmcli nm wwan on
but it is not getting enabled. Any idea why???

Ser Olmy 07-10-2013 05:19 PM

I'm afraid I'm not at all familiar with NetworkManager, and I don't know what's supposed to happen when you "enable" an interface from nmcli.

volkerdi 07-10-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inverse (Post 4987152)
I think if my WWAN gets enabled then I will be able to connect with the help of Network Manager. Any idea how I can achieve that?? I have already mention that I tried by doing but it is not getting enabled. Any idea why???

Have you set up the interface with nm-applet or the KDE NetworkManager app? If not, I don't think that nmcli can do much. I could be wrong, though... I've only used it a few times to get status reports. On my machine, NetworkManager was set up using nm-applet on Xfce. I do not boot into X, but NetworkManager brings up the connection at boot time without needing X to run once it has been configured.

jtsn 07-10-2013 07:10 PM

As Pat stated, you need to have a configured connection in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections.

Example:

Code:

[connection]
id=MyWwanConnection
type=gsm

[ipv4]
method=auto

[gsm]
number=*99#
apn=insert.your.apn.here

You may also try nmcli dev to list your devices and nmcli con to get an actual connection...

allend 07-10-2013 11:48 PM

Quote:

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 19d2:1254 ZTE WCDMA Technologies MSM
Apparently you need a kernel version 3.4 or later to support this device. http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/USB_NET_QMI_WWAN.html
Quote:

Should I upgrade my slackware 14.0 to slackware-current???
Slackware-current certainly has an appropriate kernel.

inverse 07-14-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkerdi (Post 4988042)
Have you set up the interface with nm-applet or the KDE NetworkManager app? If not, I don't think that nmcli can do much. I could be wrong, though... I've only used it a few times to get status reports. On my machine, NetworkManager was set up using nm-applet on Xfce. I do not boot into X, but NetworkManager brings up the connection at boot time without needing X to run once it has been configured.

Hi Pat

I did setup the interface with Network Manager and can be seen with
Quote:

nmcli con
.
I am simply following the steps provided in the website below:
http://www.unixwerk.eu/linux/slack/vodafone.html

Is there any way I can make it work???

Thanks

inverse 07-14-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allend (Post 4988179)
Apparently you need a kernel version 3.4 or later to support this device. http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/USB_NET_QMI_WWAN.html

Slackware-current certainly has an appropriate kernel.

Now trying to upgrade to slackware-current.

Thanks

inverse 07-28-2013 05:40 AM

Hello All

I have upgraded my slackware 14.0 to slackware-current but still I am unable to enable my WWAN. I did

Quote:

nmcli nm wwan on
but wwan is not getting enabled.

I could have used KPPP but the problem is that there is no username password with my mobile broadband, airtel 3G dongle.

Am I skipping something??? Any changes in config files in order to make it working???

Please help.

Thanks

irgunII 07-28-2013 10:48 AM

Did you install network-manager-applet? Also, networkmanager and applet is at 0.9.8

Once nm-applet is installed, you can click on it on the panel and it will give you better control over things.

I'm connected to an ATT aircard 770S, so I guess it's similar to what you have (remember, just guessing) and it's working within reason. The aircard is in the office (with an antenna to get a better signal way out here in the woods, which brought it up to three bars from two - it's a 4g device IIRR), and a TP-Link TL-WN821N Wireless N USB Adapter.

Is your setup similar?

parcox 07-28-2013 10:56 AM

Try to activate the connection (nmcli con up uuid ...) regardless the wwan state. Because mine, it still can be connected while nm-tool reports wwan is disabled.

Here is the interesting part:
Code:

┌─(bowo@pcxthinkslack)(22:35:21)(•)──────────────────────────────────────────────────(~)─┐
└─(:))─> $ nmcli nm wwan
WWAN     
disabled 
┌─(bowo@pcxthinkslack)(22:35:28)(•)──────────────────────────────────────────────────(~)─┐
└─(:))─> $ nmcli con up uuid 5f7ab9bf-c4ae-4cd8-96eb-9cdacf103fbc
Active connection state: activating
Active connection path: /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/10
state: activated
Connection activated
┌─(bowo@pcxthinkslack)(22:35:52)(•)──────────────────────────────────────────────────(~)─┐
└─(:))─> $ ping google.com
PING google.com (173.194.38.136) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from sin04s01-in-f8.1e100.net (173.194.38.136): icmp_req=1 ttl=54 time=117 ms
^C
--- google.com ping statistics ---
2 packets transmitted, 1 received, 50% packet loss, time 1000ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 117.389/117.389/117.389/0.000 ms
┌─(bowo@pcxthinkslack)(22:36:10)(•)──────────────────────────────────────────────────(~)─┐
└─(:))─> $ nmcli nm wwan
WWAN     
disabled 
┌─(bowo@pcxthinkslack)(22:36:17)(•)──────────────────────────────────────────────────(~)─┐
└─(:))─> $ nmcli con | grep gsm
3                        5f7ab9bf-c4ae-4cd8-96eb-9cdacf103fbc  gsm              Sun 28 Jul 2013 10:59:43 PM WIT

I'm not sure if it's bug in NM. Running on Slackware64-14.0 here.

inverse 09-15-2013 03:51 AM

Hello All

Now the NetworkManager is able to detect my 3G mobile broadband. But still I am not able to connect. Every time I try to connect, it fails.
This is the message log:

Quote:

Sep 15 13:07:35 darkstar kernel: [ 278.561584] PPP generic driver version 2.4.2
Sep 15 13:07:35 darkstar pppd[2507]: pppd 2.4.5 started by root, uid 0
Sep 15 13:07:35 darkstar pppd[2507]: Using interface ppp0
Sep 15 13:07:35 darkstar pppd[2507]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyUSB1
Sep 15 13:07:55 darkstar NetworkManager[2043]: <info> Activation (ttyUSB1) Stage 4 of 5 (IPv4 Configure Timeout) scheduled...
Sep 15 13:07:55 darkstar NetworkManager[2043]: <info> Activation (ttyUSB1) Stage 4 of 5 (IPv4 Configure Timeout) started...
Sep 15 13:07:55 darkstar pppd[2507]: Terminating on signal 15
Sep 15 13:07:55 darkstar NetworkManager[2043]: <info> (ttyUSB1): device state change: ip-config -> failed (reason 'ip-config-unavailable') [70 120 5]
Sep 15 13:07:55 darkstar NetworkManager[2043]: <info> Activation (ttyUSB1) Stage 4 of 5 (IPv4 Configure Timeout) complete.
Sep 15 13:07:55 darkstar NetworkManager[2043]: <info> (ttyUSB1): device state change: failed -> disconnected (reason 'none') [120 30 0]
Sep 15 13:07:55 darkstar NetworkManager[2043]: <info> (ttyUSB1): deactivating device (reason 'none') [0]
Sep 15 13:07:55 darkstar modem-manager[2051]: <info> Modem /org/freedesktop/ModemManager/Modems/0: state changed (connected -> disconnecting)
Sep 15 13:07:56 darkstar modem-manager[2051]: <info> Modem /org/freedesktop/ModemManager/Modems/0: state changed (disconnecting -> registered)
I tried with about all the combinations of settings, but no luck.

Please Help.

Thanks


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:11 AM.