I was trying to build chocolate-doom 1.7.0 from source and the build failed with the following message:
windres resource.rc -o resource.o
windres: can't get BFD_RELOC_RVA relocation type: No error
While searching for the error online and by reading a bit I saw:
- windres is supposed to process Windows resource files and output object files from them.
- windres is not always shipped with binutils.
I temporarily removed execution permissions from /usr/bin/windres and was able to build the program, but I don't know what's the problem here.
- Is it an upstream problem because the build system shouldn't try to use windres when building for Linux?
- Is it a problem with the windres version shipped with slackware's binutils?
- Is the mere presence of windres in slackware's binutils a problem by itself?
I'm lost ATM. :-\