LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 11-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #31
dugan
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: distro hopper
Posts: 4,636

Rep: Reputation: 1429Reputation: 1429Reputation: 1429Reputation: 1429Reputation: 1429Reputation: 1429Reputation: 1429Reputation: 1429Reputation: 1429Reputation: 1429

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixxt View Post
Because there is no PulseAudio or SystemD crap in it!!!
Or SELinux, which just gets in your way if you don't need it (and I don't).

Plus, it's easier to build your own packages for Slackware than for almost any other distribution. That comes in handy sometimes.

Last edited by dugan; 11-06-2012 at 01:26 PM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #32
bobzilla
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: Serbia
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 175

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
  • hackability
  • stabillity
  • simplicity
  • beauty
  • control
  • freedom
  • great community

Enough?
 
Old 11-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #33
solarfields
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: Outer Shpongolia
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 468

Rep: Reputation: 118Reputation: 118
because Bob says so
 
Old 11-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #34
brianL
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Oldham, Lancs, England
Distribution: Slackware & Slackware64 14.1
Posts: 6,969
Blog Entries: 52

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I've tried most of the other major distros, all except Gentoo, and Slackware suits me best. Maybe a psychiatrist could explain exactly why, but I can't...weird, ain't it?
 
Old 11-06-2012, 07:30 PM   #35
rinias
Member
 
Registered: May 2009
Distribution: Slackware64-14.0
Posts: 58

Rep: Reputation: 18
Because it's subversive.

Install Slackware, set it up a bit (these days, that mostly doesn't even take effort any more!), and use it a bit. Then do what you like. If you leave, one day, you find yourself thinking "This slowed down, this doesn't work like it used to, this did something weird, why does this do that?!"

And then you'll know : it's not Slackware.

You just can't beat it. Other systems try to improve on it, but they inevitably mess up somewhere, and that just won't cut it.
 
Old 11-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #36
rinias
Member
 
Registered: May 2009
Distribution: Slackware64-14.0
Posts: 58

Rep: Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianL View Post
Maybe a psychiatrist could explain exactly why, but I can't...weird, ain't it?
I dunno, considering the majority of your posts here, I'd say no.
 
Old 11-06-2012, 08:34 PM   #37
qweasd
Member
 
Registered: May 2010
Posts: 437

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarfields View Post
because Bob[sic] says so
Praise "Bob"!
 
Old 11-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #38
brianL
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Oldham, Lancs, England
Distribution: Slackware & Slackware64 14.1
Posts: 6,969
Blog Entries: 52

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinias View Post
I dunno, considering the majority of your posts here, I'd say no.
Yeah...lol.
The Emacs psychotherapist hasn't been much help:
Quote:
I am the psychotherapist. Please, describe your problems. Each time you are
finished talking, type RET twice.

Why did I choose Slackware?

What do you think?

I'm asking you

Why do you say?

Why do I say what?

I'll ask the questions, if you don't mind!

Go on then. Ask me something.

Is it because of your plans that you say?

What plans?

Maybe your life has something to do with this.

If I wasn't alive, I wouldn't have chosen Slackware.

What makes you believe?

I don't

Is it because of the people you hang around with that you say?

No, nobody I hang round with uses Slackware

Perhaps problems at school have something to do with this.

I left school 52 years ago

Tell me about your school.

It's been demolished

 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #39
weibullguy
ReliaFree Maintainer
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Kalamazoo, Michigan
Distribution: Slackware-current, Cross Linux from Scratch, Gentoo
Posts: 2,720
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 222Reputation: 222Reputation: 222
If you have to ask "How much?", you can't afford it. If you have to ask "Why Slackware?", you haven't used it.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #40
GazL
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Posts: 3,383

Rep: Reputation: 913Reputation: 913Reputation: 913Reputation: 913Reputation: 913Reputation: 913Reputation: 913Reputation: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianL View Post
It's been demolished
ROFL!
 
Old 11-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #41
bobzilla
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: Serbia
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 175

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
No, nobody I hang round with uses Slackware
This sounds familiar. But at least some of them are using Linux.

Last edited by bobzilla; 11-07-2012 at 03:25 PM.
 
Old 11-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #42
jstg
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2006
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 37

Rep: Reputation: 22
It does what I ask it to do and doesn't complain until I give it a reason to complain. And honestly for someone like me who isn't exactly Linux savvy it's nice having a stable system to learn and tinker with compared to something like a rolling release distro. Sure I'll get to learn a lot when it breaks, but it's easier for me to start with something stable that I can break myself.
 
Old 11-07-2012, 02:41 PM   #43
Martinus2u
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2010
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 345

Rep: Reputation: 56
ffs stop it. OP hasn't shown up since so this is an obvious and very successful troll.
 
Old 11-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #44
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Main: Gentoo Others: What fits the task
Posts: 15,582
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037Reputation: 4037
I can't see a flamewar or heated discussion, so if this is in fact a troll it is not very successful, IMHO.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:06 PM   #45
ReaperX7
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2011
Distribution: LFS-SVN, FreeBSD 10.0
Posts: 3,072
Blog Entries: 15

Rep: Reputation: 769Reputation: 769Reputation: 769Reputation: 769Reputation: 769Reputation: 769Reputation: 769
How can you troll Slackware? It's self-defeating and always ends up countered.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Making Slackware and Slackware Derivative Linux Distros Speak Your Language LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 01-29-2009 12:30 AM
About Slackware 9.1 boot disk?? ftp://ftp.kpn.be/pub/linux/slackware/slackware-9.1-is AL3OMDAH Slackware 4 04-18-2007 09:54 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:45 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration