LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

View Poll Results: Which filesystem for root will you choose for your next Slackware installation?
Ext2: Standard Linux Ext2 Filesystem 5 2.69%
Ext3: Ext3 Journaling Filesystem 10 5.38%
Ext4: Ext4 Journaling Filesystem 136 73.12%
JFS: IBM's Journaled Filesystem 13 6.99%
ReiserFS: ReiserFS Journaling Filesystem 6 3.23%
Btrfs: Btrfs Copy-on-Write B-tree Filesystem 8 4.30%
XFS: SGI's Journaling Filesystem 8 4.30%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Search this Thread
Old 09-25-2012, 07:02 PM   #31
PrinceCruise
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Location: /Universe/Earth/India/Pune
Distribution: Slackware14.1 x64(Workstation), Antix MX-14 x32(Netbook), CentOS5/6 (Servers)
Posts: 650

Rep: Reputation: 78

Slackware + Ext4 = WIN!
 
Old 09-25-2012, 07:18 PM   #32
sycamorex
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: London
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 5,412
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 951Reputation: 951Reputation: 951Reputation: 951Reputation: 951Reputation: 951Reputation: 951Reputation: 951
The results of the poll so far are not surprising. Having read this thread I might actually give btrfs a try with ssd.
 
Old 09-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #33
foobarz
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2010
Distribution: slackware64-current
Posts: 48

Rep: Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by D1ver View Post
For my own peace of mind, installing lilo to the MBR avoids this issue, correct?
If you have installed XFS to the raw disk (e.g. /dev/sda) and write lilo to it with lilo.config "boot = /dev/sda", then XFS will be trashed.

If you have installed XFS to the partition (e.g. /dev/sda1) and write lilo to it with lilo.config "boot = /dev/sda1", the XFS wil lbe trashed! LOL!

But okay... if you write a lilo MBR to /dev/sda only, while having XFS on partition /dev/sda1 then I believe you are okay. You get the idea though... it is just that some documents talk about writing lilo boot sector into a partition and doing things like install a MS-DOS or other bootloader into /dev/sda that chain bootloads lilo installed in say /dev/sda1! You cannot do such a thing with XFS installed there. This is an issue that will bit people that try to use XFS as a root filesystem and try to put lilo into the volume/partition boot sector with XFS and maybe chain/multiboot to it while they run Windows and other OSes inside other partitions.

So, with different filesystems, there is the question: Is this filesystem compatible with having a boot sector installed at the head of it? The question is most important for multiboot/chainbootloading.

More info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volume_boot_record

Last edited by foobarz; 09-25-2012 at 07:43 PM.
 
Old 09-25-2012, 08:12 PM   #34
D1ver
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Distribution: Slackware 13.37
Posts: 527
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 126Reputation: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by foobarz View Post
If you have installed XFS to the raw disk (e.g. /dev/sda) and write lilo to it with lilo.config "boot = /dev/sda", then XFS will be trashed.

If you have installed XFS to the partition (e.g. /dev/sda1) and write lilo to it with lilo.config "boot = /dev/sda1", the XFS wil lbe trashed! LOL!

But okay... if you write a lilo MBR to /dev/sda only, while having XFS on partition /dev/sda1 then I believe you are okay. You get the idea though... it is just that some documents talk about writing lilo boot sector into a partition and doing things like install a MS-DOS or other bootloader into /dev/sda that chain bootloads lilo installed in say /dev/sda1! You cannot do such a thing with XFS installed there. This is an issue that will bit people that try to use XFS as a root filesystem and try to put lilo into the volume/partition boot sector with XFS and maybe chain/multiboot to it while they run Windows and other OSes inside other partitions.

So, with different filesystems, there is the question: Is this filesystem compatible with having a boot sector installed at the head of it? The question is most important for multiboot/chainbootloading.

More info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volume_boot_record
Interesting.. I've got it set up with a single XFS '/' partition at /dev/sda1 with LiLo installed to the MBR. Things seems to work fine, but I'm not doing any multi-boot or chain loading.
 
Old 09-26-2012, 01:27 AM   #35
FeyFre
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2010
Location: Ukraine, Vinnitsa
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 305

Rep: Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didier Spaier View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeyFre
on isolated system - ReiserFS, if Windows is neighbour - ext3.
Out of curiosity : why different choices depending on that?
There is ext2/3/4 File System driver for Windows, but not for ReiserFS. So if there is Windows in dualboot, both Windows and Linux have full access to each others partitions. If no Windows, ReiserFS is my choice.
If you, or somebody else know about ReiserFS driver for Windows it will do me a favour.
 
Old 09-26-2012, 03:02 AM   #36
yars
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2012
Location: Russia
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 120

Rep: Reputation: 11
I choose ext4. This is stable and simple. But I don't have a specific requirements for filesystems. I use Slackware in home, on desktop.
 
Old 09-27-2012, 03:31 AM   #37
Didier Spaier
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Location: Paris, France
Distribution: Slackware-14.0 on a Lenovo T61 6457-4XG
Posts: 3,645

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 828Reputation: 828Reputation: 828Reputation: 828Reputation: 828Reputation: 828Reputation: 828
Just to clarify a bit: this thread's goal is not to collect statistics about filesystems used in existing installations (this has already been done, as one of us pointed out) but merely what will be your choice for the next installation - the very next, that's why only one choice is allowed.
 
Old 09-27-2012, 05:23 AM   #38
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 14,880
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 3805Reputation: 3805Reputation: 3805Reputation: 3805Reputation: 3805Reputation: 3805Reputation: 3805Reputation: 3805Reputation: 3805Reputation: 3805Reputation: 3805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didier Spaier View Post
Just to clarify a bit: this thread's goal is not to collect statistics about filesystems used in existing installations (this has already been done, as one of us pointed out) but merely what will be your choice for the next installation - the very next, that's why only one choice is allowed.
That would mean that my answer is dependent on with which device I decide to start after the release of 14, wouldn't it? Since I currently think I will start with the laptop my answer should have been btrfs, not ext4.
 
Old 09-27-2012, 05:38 AM   #39
Didier Spaier
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Location: Paris, France
Distribution: Slackware-14.0 on a Lenovo T61 6457-4XG
Posts: 3,645

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 828Reputation: 828Reputation: 828Reputation: 828Reputation: 828Reputation: 828Reputation: 828
@TobiSGD: That's my fault, I should have been clearer from the beginning. I edited the first post accordingly.
 
Old 09-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #40
arubin
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: Middx UK
Distribution: Slackware64 14.1 (multilib)
Posts: 1,209

Rep: Reputation: 55
Also onstalling to an ssd but not convinced from my googling that any advantage to be had from btrfs and ext4 with journaling should be fine.

Alan
 
Old 09-27-2012, 08:19 AM   #41
kooru
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2012
Location: Italy
Distribution: Slackware, NetBSD
Posts: 1,101
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 237Reputation: 237Reputation: 237
Smile

ext4
 
Old 09-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #42
Didier Spaier
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Location: Paris, France
Distribution: Slackware-14.0 on a Lenovo T61 6457-4XG
Posts: 3,645

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 828Reputation: 828Reputation: 828Reputation: 828Reputation: 828Reputation: 828Reputation: 828
<Off Topic>I just saw in Phoronix news that Reiser4 has been ported to Linux 3.5.3. Adventurous among us, feel free to apply the patch. I won't.</Off Topic>

Last edited by Didier Spaier; 09-27-2012 at 04:58 PM.
 
Old 09-27-2012, 06:27 PM   #43
ReaperX7
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2011
Distribution: LFS-SVN, Slackware-14.1, PCBSD-10.0
Posts: 2,408
Blog Entries: 14

Rep: Reputation: 585Reputation: 585Reputation: 585Reputation: 585Reputation: 585Reputation: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didier Spaier View Post
<Off Topic>I just saw in Phoronix news that Reiser4 has been ported to Linux 3.5.3. Adventurous among us, feel free to apply the patch. I won't.</Off Topic>
Reiser4 is probably fair enough to say, dead in the water.

I'd rather risk the wrath of Richard Stallman and add ZFS support.
 
Old 09-27-2012, 07:08 PM   #44
gezley
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Slackware64, NetBSD
Posts: 474

Rep: Reputation: 200Reputation: 200Reputation: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by D1ver View Post
For my own peace of mind, installing lilo to the MBR avoids this issue, correct?
That is correct.

It is for this very reason I will be formatting my small root partition with an ext3 filesystem - I chainload from NetBSD and need Lilo installed to Slackware's root, not the MBR.

usr, var, home and other partitions will be formatted with XFS.
 
Old 09-28-2012, 05:41 AM   #45
jtsn
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2011
Location: Europe
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 690

Rep: Reputation: 276Reputation: 276Reputation: 276
I have chosen ext4, because / is a filesystem, where not much action happens. On my typical Slackware installation it contains between 0.3 and 0.5 GB of data, which is mostly only read on boot and almost never written to. So I see no point in using btrfs or something else there.

Of course, /var, /home, /opt and /usr are a different story, but that was not question.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Not able to set root password upon installation of Slackware 11 slee97070 Linux - Software 3 02-18-2007 04:16 AM
Does the square root of -1 exist? Poll! 144419855310001 General 60 11-06-2006 02:54 AM
Problem checking root filesystem when booting Slackware daschaich Slackware 2 09-01-2006 09:55 PM
Encrypted Root Filesystem HOWTO and /dev filesystem tmillard Linux From Scratch 0 10-18-2004 03:58 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:25 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration