LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices



Poll: Which driver(s) do you use with your NVIDIA cards?
Poll Options
Which driver(s) do you use with your NVIDIA cards?

You must log in and have one post to vote in this poll. If you don't have an account, you can register here.
Results will be available after the polls close.

The nominees are:

nouveau (free and open-source)
nvidia (proprietary)

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 03-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #16
dugan
Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: distro hopper
Posts: 5,004

Rep: Reputation: 1560Reputation: 1560Reputation: 1560Reputation: 1560Reputation: 1560Reputation: 1560Reputation: 1560Reputation: 1560Reputation: 1560Reputation: 1560Reputation: 1560

Proprietary. VDPAU is the main reason I went with an NVidia card in the first place.
 
Old 03-21-2012, 09:48 PM   #17
saycheese
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2012
Distribution: Slackware64 13.37
Posts: 6

Rep: Reputation: 0
NVIDIA drivers all the way.

Once the nouveau drivers became included most distributions would install and than I would just get a black screen upon reboot. Took me sometime to figure that one out. Slackware defaulting to init 3 was especially handy for this. My nvidia cards are a bit dated though: onboard Geforce 6150 LE and Geforce 7800 GT. The newer hardware probably has better out of the box support.
 
Old 03-22-2012, 01:12 AM   #18
coralfang
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2010
Location: Bristol, UK
Distribution: Slackware, FreeBSD
Posts: 309
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 84
I also use the proprietary driver. I play several games quite often (redeclipse, sauerbraten, assaultcube, alienarena, etc) and also play around with 3D modelling in blender.

Nouveau just doesn't cut it for 3D programs.
It does load most games fine (visually), but it won't achieve anything higher than 2 frames per second.

I try to keep my computer so it mostly uses open-source software only, but nvidia driver is always an exception for me. And i have nothing to complain about the state of nvidia's proprietary driver, in fact i would say it is the most performing (and stable) driver available for graphics on linux.
 
Old 03-22-2012, 02:14 AM   #19
cascade9
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: Brisneyland
Distribution: Debian, aptosid
Posts: 3,718

Rep: Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by saycheese View Post
Once the nouveau drivers became included most distributions would install and than I would just get a black screen upon reboot. Took me sometime to figure that one out. Slackware defaulting to init 3 was especially handy for this. My nvidia cards are a bit dated though: onboard Geforce 6150 LE and Geforce 7800 GT. The newer hardware probably has better out of the box support.
No, nouveau will have worse support with newer cards. nVidia provides no developers, no code, not even technical papers to help the nouveau project. Its all done from reverse engineering.

*edit- the 6150 (and other 'cut down' onboard nVidia video as well) can have more problems than the normal desktop GPUs, even with windows.

Last edited by cascade9; 03-22-2012 at 02:16 AM.
 
Old 03-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #20
ChrisAbela
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Location: Malta
Distribution: Slackware 14.1
Posts: 467

Rep: Reputation: 89
Quote:
I use nouveau now, and I think I'll stick with it permanently.
Same here, but it is not for the same noble reason. It is only for a practical reason.

I used to install the drivers via the SBo slackbuild but I had probelms with latest release as it crashes when I log out of KDE (or whichever DE/WM) I use. My laptop is now very old (from 2007). Surprisingly I found that nouveau is more stable and I get to use the available KDE/XFCE display tools for dual monitors, which in my opinion are better than those provided by nvidia.
 
Old 03-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #21
H_TeXMeX_H
Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: $RANDOM
Distribution: slackware64
Posts: 12,928
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisAbela View Post
Same here, but it is not for the same noble reason. It is only for a practical reason.
My reason is only 50% noble, the other 50% is the extreme annoyance of random hangs that recent nvidia drivers cause. I just couldn't take it anymore. It crashed while I was working on my research paper ... luckily it auto-saves.
 
Old 03-22-2012, 04:54 PM   #22
wildwizard
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Location: Oz
Distribution: slackware64-14.0
Posts: 755

Rep: Reputation: 227Reputation: 227Reputation: 227
So has those who are complaining that nouveau has bad performance tried upgrading it by using the scripts in /source/x/x11 ?

I also recommend upgrading mesa as well.
 
Old 03-23-2012, 04:51 AM   #23
chrisretusn
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Philippines
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 508

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I use nouveau. It works. It comes with Slackware. Good enough for me.
 
Old 03-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #24
jtsn
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2011
Location: Europe
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 908

Rep: Reputation: 447Reputation: 447Reputation: 447Reputation: 447Reputation: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by qweasd View Post
Having been Windoze-free for about a year now, the only remaining issue was the stability. I really hate to run proprietary blobs: they are contrary both to my religion and my understanding of security. To my delight, nouveau is finally in the state I can live with. And while GeForce 7600 GT seems to crash X really badly when I open anything in okular , my primary rig sails quite well with GeForce 9800 GT.
FOSS drivers based on reverse engineering are okay, if you own very old hardware: The Geforce 9800 GT is a G92 (8800 GT) - a design which debuted five years ago in 2007. And the Geforce 7600 GT is so old, that you can replace it with a recent Intel GPU (excellent vendor-supported FOSS drivers) and get better performance with way lower heat dissipation/noise.

The second problem is: Most cards from this era died already due to solder problems. And there we have the next problem with mature FOSS drivers: If your hardware gets TOO old, nobody maintains the driver anymore (for lack of hardware) and voila - your device gets unsupported again.

Vendor-supported drivers (FOSS or not) are the way to go. And the vendor support by nVidia is excellent. Reverse engineering is just too slow for a useable device lifecycle. I replaced my 2005 AGP Geforce 6800 in 2008 with a 9600 GT PCIe (reason: AGP is gone). The latter is now "supported" by nouveau, but it got already replaced again by a GTX 560 in 2011. So it is the nVidia BLOB for me, because it works rock stable since day one and doesn't let your graphics card sound like a jet engine.
 
Old 03-23-2012, 11:15 PM   #25
qweasd
Member
 
Registered: May 2010
Posts: 486

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsn View Post
And the Geforce 7600 GT is so old, that you can replace it with a recent Intel GPU (excellent vendor-supported FOSS drivers) and get better performance with way lower heat dissipation/noise.
There is a PCI Intel card? May be I am just retarded, but I couldn't find it when browsing the stores.
 
Old 03-24-2012, 05:56 AM   #26
H_TeXMeX_H
Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: $RANDOM
Distribution: slackware64
Posts: 12,928
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsn View Post
FOSS drivers based on reverse engineering are okay, if you own very old hardware: The Geforce 9800 GT is a G92 (8800 GT) - a design which debuted five years ago in 2007. And the Geforce 7600 GT is so old, that you can replace it with a recent Intel GPU (excellent vendor-supported FOSS drivers) and get better performance with way lower heat dissipation/noise.

The second problem is: Most cards from this era died already due to solder problems. And there we have the next problem with mature FOSS drivers: If your hardware gets TOO old, nobody maintains the driver anymore (for lack of hardware) and voila - your device gets unsupported again.

Vendor-supported drivers (FOSS or not) are the way to go. And the vendor support by nVidia is excellent. Reverse engineering is just too slow for a useable device lifecycle. I replaced my 2005 AGP Geforce 6800 in 2008 with a 9600 GT PCIe (reason: AGP is gone). The latter is now "supported" by nouveau, but it got already replaced again by a GTX 560 in 2011. So it is the nVidia BLOB for me, because it works rock stable since day one and doesn't let your graphics card sound like a jet engine.
I disagree with all of that.

I don't think that Intel graphics and performance should be mentioned in the same sentence. My "very old" 8800 GTX could beat any Intel graphics in existence even with the nouveau drivers in both performance and stability. Intel graphics are completely worthless, and I think they may just stay that way for a very long time. I have never seen any Intel graphics in stores at all, except for integrated into mobos.

I have many very old nvidia cards that are working just fine, no the solder didn't fail. For example I have a Geforce 4000 series that works fine even today. In fact, I have an even older nvidia card, but I haven't seen the machine in a while, but I'll check it when I get to see it, and it'll probably still be working.

Although I must say that the performance that was provided by the nvidia blob was the best on Linux, and I seriously doubt anyone can prove me wrong on this, I must say that the stability of these drivers is not good. Even in the past I have had stability issues with certain version. With the newest version I get random crashes. Definitely not what I would call "rock stable". I would say the stability of these drivers is "capricious" at best.
 
Old 03-24-2012, 06:01 AM   #27
cascade9
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: Brisneyland
Distribution: Debian, aptosid
Posts: 3,718

Rep: Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsn View Post
FOSS drivers based on reverse engineering are okay, if you own very old hardware: The Geforce 9800 GT is a G92 (8800 GT) - a design which debuted five years ago in 2007. And the Geforce 7600 GT is so old, that you can replace it with a recent Intel GPU (excellent vendor-supported FOSS drivers) and get better performance with way lower heat dissipation/noise.
By 'replace it with a recent Intel GPU' you mean trash the current motherboard/CPU setup (and probably RAM as well). You'd need a Intel HD 3000 to beat out a 7600GT by much, though the nVidia card is years old. Even a HD 3000 isnt going to be a huge amount faster than a 7600GT in most cases. A HD 5450/6450 or GT520 would get you into the ballpark of the intel HD video chips, and be pretty low power draw and heat output as well....without needing to replace anything apart from the video card.

Most of teh HD 5450/6450s are passive cooled, and passive cooled GT520s are easy to find as well. Its hard to beat totally passive for noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qweasd View Post
There is a PCI Intel card? May be I am just retarded, but I couldn't find it when browsing the stores.
Intel hasnt made a standalone video card since the late 1990s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsn View Post
The second problem is: Most cards from this era died already due to solder problems.
Some? Yes. Most? No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsn View Post
And there we have the next problem with mature FOSS drivers: If your hardware gets TOO old, nobody maintains the driver anymore (for lack of hardware) and voila - your device gets unsupported again.
Give one example where FOSS drivers have dropped support for a GPU/video adapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsn View Post
Vendor-supported drivers (FOSS or not) are the way to go. And the vendor support by nVidia is excellent. Reverse engineering is just too slow for a useable device lifecycle. I replaced my 2005 AGP Geforce 6800 in 2008 with a 9600 GT PCIe (reason: AGP is gone). The latter is now "supported" by nouveau, but it got already replaced again by a GTX 560 in 2011. So it is the nVidia BLOB for me, because it works rock stable since day one and doesn't let your graphics card sound like a jet engine.
9600GT has been supported by nouveau for years.

nVidia support for linux is far more limited than ATI/AMD, or even intel. AMD has released technical papaers, etc. to help the FOSS developers and even have paid developers on staff working on the FOSS drivers (and the closed source drivers). nVidia only releases closed drivers now, they dont rlease technical papaers, and have even dropped the open but obfuscated .nv drivers.
 
Old 03-24-2012, 07:20 AM   #28
Eeel
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2012
Location: Paris - France
Distribution: Slackware 14 64bit Multilib
Posts: 22

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Hi,

I use NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-275.43.run on a nVidia Corporation G80 [GeForce 8800 GTS] (rev a2). Latest NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-295.20.run have a bug on my hardware, KDE menu and windows are kinda of transparent after a login/logout, described here.

regards.
 
Old 03-24-2012, 07:38 AM   #29
cwizardone
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Distribution: Slackware64-current & "True Multilib." PC-BSD.
Posts: 2,275

Rep: Reputation: 187Reputation: 187
295.33 was released on 22 March 2012, and has a few bug fixes.
From their web site:

Quote:
Added support for the following GPUs:
GeForce GTX 680
GeForce GT 630M
GeForce GT 620
Fixed a VDPAU bug where decoding some H.264 streams would cause hardware errors on lower-end products, resulting in corruption and poor performance.
Fixed a bug that caused DisplayPort audio to stop working after monitors are hotplugged on GeForce GT 520.
Improved compatibility with recent Linux kernels.
Fixed a behavior change that prevented ConnectedMonitor from being usable with DisplayPort connectors.
Marked the GVO Clone mode NV-CONTROL attributes:
NV_CTRL_GVO_DISPLAY_X_SCREEN
NV_CTRL_GVO_X_SCREEN_PAN_X
NV_CTRL_GVO_X_SCREEN_PAN_Y
as deprecated. They will be removed in a future release. To display an X screen over GVO, it is recommended to use GVO with MetaModes, instead.
Fixed a bug that caused DisplayPort devices to not be listed in Xorg.*.log. For example, if only DisplayPort devices are attached, the log file would contain
(--) NVIDIA(0): Connected display device(s) on NVIDIA GPU at PCI:2:0:0
(--) NVIDIA(0): none
Added support for 3D Vision ready displays that have a NVIDIA 3D Vision infrared emitter built inside the panel itself.
Fixed a bug that caused OpenGL applications to crash with some libc versions, such as eglibc 2.15.
Fixed a bug that caused HDMI audio to stop working on AppleTV devices when an X server was started.

Last edited by cwizardone; 03-24-2012 at 07:41 AM.
 
Old 03-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #30
slkrover
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Distribution: Slackware 14.1
Posts: 68

Rep: Reputation: 16
Always gaming with my rig so it has higher end sli nvidia cards in it. The nouveau driver and x has not worked with these cards for more than a year or two now. The nvidia driver has always been excellent and I am happy with their support. I download the driver with Lynx and install before ever entering x on any new slackware install now.
 
  


Reply

Tags
nouveau, nvidia


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
nvidia cards rehan999 Linux - Software 16 12-09-2009 03:51 AM
Sticky Request: How to get the nvidia driver for old RIVA TNT2 and other nvida cards darkhatter Suse/Novell 2 03-14-2006 05:05 PM
Those with NVidia Cards might want to.... Black_iCE_mdk Mandriva 1 06-09-2004 05:56 PM
nvidia fx5600 loads vesa driver instead of nvidia driver saburo62 Linux - Hardware 3 05-04-2004 04:59 PM
Nvidia Video Cards liguorir Linux - Hardware 2 08-30-2003 06:48 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration