LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   Where do I save downloaded packages from SlackBuilds? (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/where-do-i-save-downloaded-packages-from-slackbuilds-856076/)

Robert.Thompson 01-13-2011 08:19 AM

Where do I save downloaded packages from SlackBuilds?
 
Hello:

Does it matter where on my system that I save downloaded packages?

Do they need to be 'installed' from a specific directory?

Any advice would be appreciated,

Martinezio 01-13-2011 08:33 AM

It is good choice to store packages in specified directory, and subdired them with package names. This will allow You to store all files specific for this package with common names, such as slack-desc, or so.
Most of SlackBuild scripts will look in current dir for package sources, and all necesary files (slack-desc, doinst.sh, readme, patches...). Of course, You can rewrite those scripts, but who has time for this? ;)

Robert.Thompson 01-13-2011 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martinezio (Post 4222912)
It is good choice to store packages in specified directory, and subdired them with package names. This will allow You to store all files specific for this package with common names, such as slack-desc, or so.
Most of SlackBuild scripts will look in current dir for package sources, and all necesary files (slack-desc, doinst.sh, readme, patches...). Of course, You can rewrite those scripts, but who has time for this? ;)

So, would it be best to create a directory called 'packages' in the root or home directory and then download and extract them there?

sycamorex 01-13-2011 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert.Thompson (Post 4222922)
So, would it be best to create a directory called 'packages' in the root or home directory and then download and extract them there?

I've got mine in /home/sycamorex/downloads/slackbuilds/ but IMHO it's up to you where you store them as long as you stick to one place to avoid messing your system.

2handband 01-13-2011 08:59 AM

There's really no right answer to this... howrever you want to do it is fine. I do it in a directory called ~/source/Slackbuilds_org, and leave the source code and slackbuild scripts in there in case I want them later.

Robert.Thompson 01-13-2011 09:06 AM

If I want the application to be available to the next user (or all users) I set up, does the package need to be installed from the root directory?

sycamorex 01-13-2011 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert.Thompson (Post 4222965)
If I want the application to be available to the next user (or all users) I set up, does the package need to be installed from the root directory?

It does not matter which directory you install it from. You install a package as root to directories specified in a slackbuild script, which makes it possible for all users to run the program.

2handband 01-13-2011 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert.Thompson (Post 4222965)
If I want the application to be available to the next user (or all users) I set up, does the package need to be installed from the root directory?

Doesn't matter. You install software as root, and all users have access to it once it's installed. What directory you work from is utterly irrelevant. I have a tutorial on software management:

http://genek.net/LinuxAdventures/sysadmin/slackpkg.html

tronayne 01-13-2011 09:27 AM

I do this in /usr/local/packages/src with sub directories under src for example,
Code:

promtp: ls /usr/local/packages/src
GMT/  database/    graphics/  lifelines/  office/                  xap/
a/    development/  hdf5/      multimedia/  phpBB-3.0.7-PL1.tar.bz2  zoom/
ap/  games/        libraries/  netcdf/      system/

And, the ap sub directory contains
Code:

prompt: ls /usr/local/packages/src/ap
wvdial/  wvstreams/

This kinda-sorta follows the structure of the Slackware distribution; the extend further,
Code:

prompt: ls /usr/local/packages/src/ap/wvstreams/
README    slack-desc                      wvstreams-4.6.tar.gz  wvstreams.info
doinst.sh  wvstreams-4.6-x86_64-1_SBo.tgz  wvstreams.SlackBuild*

Works for me, your mileage may vary.

Hope this helps some.

Robert.Thompson 01-13-2011 11:51 AM

Thanks to all - marking as SOLVED.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:19 PM.