LinuxQuestions.org
Did you know LQ has a Linux Hardware Compatibility List?
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 07-21-2005, 05:48 PM   #1
jcombs_31
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2004
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 104

Rep: Reputation: 15
when trying to mount a windows share I'm getting


3360: tree connect failed: ERRDOS - ERRnomem (Insufficient server memory to perform the requested function.)
SMB connection failed

Code:
mount -t smbfs //192.168.1.102/backup /mnt/backup -o username=jeff
I can view shares with konquerer just fine, what gives? System should have plenty of memory. This worked fine yesterday and nothing has changed.
 
Old 07-22-2005, 08:22 AM   #2
gbonvehi
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2004
Location: Argentina (SR, LP)
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 3,145

Rep: Reputation: 51
Did you by any chance, rebooted (or turned off the Windows machine) without unmounting it first on Linux? If my memory doesn't fail, that caused me a problem like yours.

I think my memory is bad : http://www.pclinuxonline.com/modules...=4845&forum=18

Last edited by gbonvehi; 07-22-2005 at 08:23 AM.
 
Old 07-22-2005, 08:41 AM   #3
jcombs_31
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2004
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 104

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by gbonvehi
Did you by any chance, rebooted (or turned off the Windows machine) without unmounting it first on Linux? If my memory doesn't fail, that caused me a problem like yours.

I think my memory is bad : http://www.pclinuxonline.com/modules...=4845&forum=18
well, the drive that was mounted is an external drive with a share on windows and I think I turned that drive off and unplugged it, so how would I go about fixing this?
 
Old 07-22-2005, 08:46 AM   #4
gbonvehi
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2004
Location: Argentina (SR, LP)
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 3,145

Rep: Reputation: 51
I don't remember now if I had the same problem that you have, but try, before turning off and unplugging the drive, unmounting it from Linux (you'll have to try this next time you boot Linux).

If that wasn't the problem, try editing the Windows registry like that link suggests.
 
Old 07-22-2005, 09:31 AM   #5
jcombs_31
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2004
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 104

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by gbonvehi
I don't remember now if I had the same problem that you have, but try, before turning off and unplugging the drive, unmounting it from Linux (you'll have to try this next time you boot Linux).

If that wasn't the problem, try editing the Windows registry like that link suggests.
I'll try it later when I get home, but seems kinda rediculous to have to edit the registry for this to work again.
 
Old 07-22-2005, 09:35 AM   #6
BroX
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Sweden
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 759

Rep: Reputation: 65
I'm not sure if I get the correct picture here, but since my possible solution is so simple I'll give it a shot anyway.

I got the same (or similar?) error while trying to mount a w2k share on my Slack laptop using samba. Simply rebooting the w2k box solved it.

Please forgive me if I'm off topic here, that means it tie to start the weekend!

Cheers, Leon.

Last edited by BroX; 07-22-2005 at 09:36 AM.
 
Old 07-22-2005, 10:31 AM   #7
synaptical
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Distribution: Mint 13/15, CentOS 6.4
Posts: 2,020

Rep: Reputation: 47
do umount /mnt/backup -l to make sure your box knows it's unmounted. then try to mount it again. if that fails, i guess it couldn't hurt to reboot windows since it appears to be low on memory. i had to install w2k yesterday, and it rebooted itself at least a dozen times while installing and putting on other programs and updates. it seems to be what windows does best.
 
Old 07-22-2005, 12:05 PM   #8
jcombs_31
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2004
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 104

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
I appreciate the effort to reply, but pointing out to restart my computer isn't much help. I both unmounted the share and rebooted both my windows and linux boxes before posting here, obviously that didn't work.
 
Old 07-22-2005, 12:55 PM   #9
synaptical
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Distribution: Mint 13/15, CentOS 6.4
Posts: 2,020

Rep: Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally posted by jcombs_31
I appreciate the effort to reply, but pointing out to restart my computer isn't much help. I both unmounted the share and rebooted both my windows and linux boxes before posting here, obviously that didn't work.
well, it's not really so obvious since you never mentioned either rebooting your linux machine (which you shouldn't have to do in most cases anyway) or that you properly unmounted it before turning off your share drive.

the other solutions i've seen from doing a quick google search all have to do with editing the windows registry to fix the ipstack, which someone else also mentioned and linked to. here's another one, with a big "Solved" in the title:
http://rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic...102ebe5496deec

did you try that yet?
 
Old 07-22-2005, 01:04 PM   #10
jcombs_31
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2004
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 104

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by synaptical
well, it's not really so obvious since you never mentioned either rebooting your linux machine (which you shouldn't have to do in most cases anyway) or that you properly unmounted it before turning off your share drive.

the other solutions i've seen from doing a quick google search all have to do with editing the windows registry to fix the ipstack, which someone else also mentioned and linked to. here's another one, with a big "Solved" in the title:
http://rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic...102ebe5496deec

did you try that yet?
You're right, I guess I should have mentioned it, I'll try the registry edit later and let you know if it works.
 
Old 07-24-2005, 11:54 AM   #11
jcombs_31
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2004
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 104

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
The registry edit fixed the problem.
 
Old 01-04-2006, 07:48 PM   #12
RcS2000
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Posts: 1

Rep: Reputation: 0
Addition to Regedit Fix

The regedit-fix worked to me as well, but the correct path is:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters

The key to be changed is named:

IRPStackSize

and should be changed from 11 (0x0b) to 15 (0x0f) or 20 (0x14)


THX and greetings.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NFS mount of smb mount of windows share: permission denied problem :( Bagatur Linux - Networking 4 07-07-2009 12:34 PM
mount windows share in FC2 danielson Linux - Networking 1 02-04-2005 03:52 AM
Cannot mount samba share from windows XP Astro Linux - Software 2 12-18-2004 12:26 PM
mount windows share at boot up saavik Linux - Networking 2 02-04-2004 12:49 PM
mount windows share smbmount dc2447 Linux - Newbie 1 09-08-2002 10:20 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:03 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration