LinuxQuestions.org
Go Job Hunting at the LQ Job Marketplace
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 03-02-2011, 12:14 PM   #1141
a4z
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Posts: 444

Rep: Reputation: 152Reputation: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by slack-fu View Post
Interesting. But I guess (I have never tried salix) that it wont cover all slackwares packages, only the ones salix has. Also I see on their website that they have patched some packages, does that mean extra lib dependencies as well?
http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.ph...from_Slackware
 
Old 03-02-2011, 12:31 PM   #1142
disturbed1
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Location: USA
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,133
Blog Entries: 6

Rep: Reputation: 223Reputation: 223Reputation: 223
I wish the change logs included some details on the Added programs.

ap/ddrescue-1.14-x86_64-1.txz: Added.
Is this a new requirement/replacement of something? Or just a worthwhile addition

x/xdg-user-dirs-0.13-x86_64-1.txz: Added.
Why? Is it required by something else? Were we missing something without this package? Or just a nice addition to make the xdg package more complete?

I like how the security updates give a link to the CVE report, or at least a notation to the problem. Same with applications that are rebuilt ( extra/bash-completion/bash-completion-1.3-noarch-2.txz for example )
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:09 PM   #1143
volkerdi
Slackware Maintainer
 
Registered: Dec 2002
Location: Minnesota
Distribution: Slackware! :-)
Posts: 875

Rep: Reputation: 1817Reputation: 1817Reputation: 1817Reputation: 1817Reputation: 1817Reputation: 1817Reputation: 1817Reputation: 1817Reputation: 1817Reputation: 1817Reputation: 1817
Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbed1 View Post
I wish the change logs included some details on the Added programs.

ap/ddrescue-1.14-x86_64-1.txz: Added.
Is this a new requirement/replacement of something? Or just a worthwhile addition

x/xdg-user-dirs-0.13-x86_64-1.txz: Added.
Why? Is it required by something else? Were we missing something without this package? Or just a nice addition to make the xdg package more complete?

I like how the security updates give a link to the CVE report, or at least a notation to the problem. Same with applications that are rebuilt ( extra/bash-completion/bash-completion-1.3-noarch-2.txz for example )
Well, I suppose I can answer those inquiries. ddrescue is just a nice addition that several of us have needed in the past. On the other end of the spectrum, xdg-user-dirs is another item freedesktop.org is forcing us to include, in this case because the next xfce will require it. I can't honestly say that I have a good opinion of any of their xdg-* compontents which generally strike me as poorly thought out kludges, and this one isn't changing that for me. There's already a report that running the update script may corrupt directory names when used with a non-US, non UTF-8 locale, and it's also creating some surprises such as Terminal opening in the Documents directory. Not much we can do though... we don't have much sway over those inventing the standards. Bug reports should be sent upstream. Unfortunately several of these projects have a tendency to make fixes in the repo and seldom issue fixed tarballs.

Sorry, had to rant.
 
10 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:19 PM   #1144
gapan
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Posts: 344

Rep: Reputation: 106Reputation: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by slack-fu View Post
Interesting. But I guess (I have never tried salix) that it wont cover all slackwares packages, only the ones salix has. Also I see on their website that they have patched some packages, does that mean extra lib dependencies as well?
No, salix provides dependency support for all standard slackware packages too.

edit: And it means exactly the same dependencies for all patched packages. Except hplip and wpa_supplicant, which in fact need less dependencies as qt support was removed.

Last edited by gapan; 03-02-2011 at 01:23 PM.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:03 PM   #1145
slack-fu
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: Norway
Distribution: Slackware Linux 13.37
Posts: 71

Rep: Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gapan View Post
No, salix provides dependency support for all standard slackware packages too.

edit: And it means exactly the same dependencies for all patched packages. Except hplip and wpa_supplicant, which in fact need less dependencies as qt support was removed.
Excellent, thanks for the info
 
Old 04-02-2011, 04:05 AM   #1146
ShellyCat
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Distribution: Slackware 13
Posts: 178

Rep: Reputation: 28
python-devel

I have run into major issues with Slackware in the last year while trying to install software, and they all lead back to one cause...they lack of Python development headers packaged for Slackware.

In trying to get help installing several programs (most notably Anki), I got several of those "unhelpful posts" asking, "Why don't you try another distro?" only now I can understand why.

There are so many reasons I prefer Slackware I don't want to get into it, but mainly, I find many of the so-called "easy-to-learn" distros to have the same issues as Windows. (No offense, just my opinion after years of experience with Slackware, which I find easier because everything is so straightforawrd and because it avoids "dependency hell" as someone already mentioned.)

Python, however, imposes its own kind of "dependency hell." In a nutshell, many programs that use Python on the desktop require development headers. My experience was that no one could point me to finding the source code, only distribution-specific packages. Once I finally located source code, no one had any suggestions as the correct order to install/rebuild various libraries, and no such list could be Googled anywhere. Every attempt required starting over with my Slackware installation, and I just gave up.

Hence, I have to suffer with an XP laptop so slow it takes 6 minutes to boot to desktop and I cannot even run SP3!

So it seems the "unhelpful posts" were really on-the-ball in this regard...there's really no-way to get Python dependencies correct without switching distros, from a user perspective. Python dependencies are out of the league of a computer-literate user...it's a job for an expert.

I'm finding more and more software jumping on the Python/sqlite bandwagon. I love Slackware for every other advantage it has (it's easy yet powerful, flexible yet stable, command-line oriented yet simple to configure). I hope that Patrick will address the need for Python header files and other dependencies in Slackware...and not stick them in "extra" either...the superior install routine gives us all the choice we need for those that don't want to install it.
 
Old 04-02-2011, 04:18 AM   #1147
ShellyCat
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Distribution: Slackware 13
Posts: 178

Rep: Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierP View Post
For everyone who doesn't want KDE included, you do realise that you don't have to install it, don't you? It's a set of selectable packages that you can choose not to select. Remember, Slack doesn't force you to do most things.
+1 Xavier!

Those who don't like a package shouldn't be trying to force that preference on others. Slackware is the most powerful distro there is because it gives everyone freedom of choice, and makes this freedom easy -- merely check/uncheck what you do/don't want during Setup!

Slackware shouldn't try to be like other Linux, shouldn't favor "minimal" versus "full-featured" preferences, it should embrace all users...no offense intended.
 
Old 04-02-2011, 05:34 AM   #1148
ShellyCat
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Distribution: Slackware 13
Posts: 178

Rep: Reputation: 28
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyCat View Post
I hope that Patrick will address the need for Python header files and other dependencies in Slackware...and not stick them in "extra" either
If my sleepiness made my previous post confusing, I apologize. To clarify the above statement:

I do not mean that I want automatic dependency-handling in Slackware. (I won't expand the reasons, which have been fully discussed by others in this thread.)

What I meant is I hope Patrick will include python-devel and many other python/qt/sqlite-related packages and header files in Slackware in the future, as increasingly required by several popular, one-of-a-kind software packages. (I use Anki as an example because it's a deal-buster for me, but there are others out there, which I can't recall at the moment.)
 
Old 04-02-2011, 05:39 AM   #1149
GazL
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Posts: 3,440

Rep: Reputation: 959Reputation: 959Reputation: 959Reputation: 959Reputation: 959Reputation: 959Reputation: 959Reputation: 959
Slackware doesn't do *-devel packages, They're generally included in the package of the thing they belong with. This is one of the things I've always liked about slackware.

Perhaps you might be better giving us a specific example of something you believe is missing
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:39 AM   #1150
Darth Vader
Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Romania
Distribution: DARKSTAR Linux 2008.1
Posts: 621

Rep: Reputation: 114Reputation: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyCat View Post
+1 Xavier!

Those who don't like a package shouldn't be trying to force that preference on others. Slackware is the most powerful distro there is because it gives everyone freedom of choice, and makes this freedom easy -- merely check/uncheck what you do/don't want during Setup!

Slackware shouldn't try to be like other Linux, shouldn't favor "minimal" versus "full-featured" preferences, it should embrace all users...no offense intended.
To be honest, avoiding installing KDE is much more complicated than it seems.

In L set we have a lot of KDE-specific libraries, starting with the famous Qt. Maybe we should move all the KDE-specific libraries in the KDE set, or even in its own set, KDE_LIBS?

Last edited by Darth Vader; 04-02-2011 at 06:40 AM.
 
0 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:20 AM   #1151
brianL
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Oldham, Lancs, England
Distribution: Slackware & Slackware64 14.1
Posts: 7,044
Blog Entries: 52

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Python headers? Aren't they all those .h files in /usr/include/python2.6?
 
Old 04-02-2011, 07:25 AM   #1152
brixtoncalling
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Location: British Columbia
Distribution: Slackware current
Posts: 403

Rep: Reputation: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyCat View Post
Python, however, imposes its own kind of "dependency hell." In a nutshell, many programs that use Python on the desktop require development headers.
Out of curiosity, why would a Python program require development headers just to run?
 
Old 04-02-2011, 07:45 AM   #1153
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 5,313

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
To be honest, avoiding installing KDE is much more complicated than it seems.

In L set we have a lot of KDE-specific libraries, starting with the famous Qt. Maybe we should move all the KDE-specific libraries in the KDE set, or even in its own set, KDE_LIBS?
I would not agree to that. You know, Qt is not KDE specific at all, I run applications here that do not care about KDE at all but do have a Qt interface (VLC, qbittorrent for example). Other packages in "l/" series sucn as akonadi, nepomuk maye be required by KDE but who says that other apps would not like to use those as well?

Eric
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:03 AM   #1154
ruario
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2011
Location: Oslo, Norway
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,866

Rep: Reputation: 885Reputation: 885Reputation: 885Reputation: 885Reputation: 885Reputation: 885Reputation: 885
I also use Qt based apps such as VirtualBox's GUI but have no wish for KDE, so the current situation suits me just fine.
 
Old 04-02-2011, 08:24 AM   #1155
audriusk
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: Klaipėda, Lithuania
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 248

Rep: Reputation: 107Reputation: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by brixtoncalling View Post
Out of curiosity, why would a Python program require development headers just to run?
They're definitely not required to run, but if you wanted to build a Python program that has C extensions as a part of its source, then they would be required.
 
  


Reply

Tags
cd, live


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slackware future? coyctecm Slackware 12 02-01-2006 10:03 PM
Future of Slackware kratunko Slackware 30 08-12-2005 12:31 PM
Slackware features? rusty_slacker Slackware 49 12-02-2004 04:45 AM
what are the features of the new slackware 9? ethanchic Slackware 2 09-27-2002 06:15 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:15 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration