LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 08-04-2009, 04:07 AM   #721
shotwellj
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2005
Location: Tempe, AZ
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 66

Rep: Reputation: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierP View Post
For everyone who doesn't want KDE included, you do realise that you don't have to install it, don't you? It's a set of selectable packages that you can choose not to select. Remember, Slack doesn't force you to do most things.
And just to add... all of the other packages that people would prefer removed.

Jacob
 
Old 08-04-2009, 04:08 AM   #722
shotwellj
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2005
Location: Tempe, AZ
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 66

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierP View Post
For everyone who doesn't want KDE included, you do realise that you don't have to install it, don't you? It's a set of selectable packages that you can choose not to select. Remember, Slack doesn't force you to do most things.
And just to add... all of the other packages that people would prefer removed.


Edit: Ok... I should check the dates of comments before I reply.

Jacob
 
Old 08-04-2009, 01:00 PM   #723
veeall
Member
 
Registered: May 2007
Location: Estonia
Distribution: Slackware 12.1, slackware64-current
Posts: 252

Rep: Reputation: 43
What i really like sometimes is ability to use italian slacky repositories with gslapt to quickly install multimedia software which commonly have dozens of dependencies and would be pain to compile even with sbopkg.

So my wish is just to make precompiled _SBo packages available somewhere also, as i presume they are being compiled anyway on a clean slackware system during the testings of a slackbuild.

And on another note i think kde4 version of k3b on -current should go to 'testing' so people can test if it will even work. And maybe there is some replacement (lightweight)(GTK?)burner software to go to main tree.

Cheers!
 
Old 08-04-2009, 01:08 PM   #724
sahko
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,041

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by veeall View Post
And on another note i think kde4 version of k3b on -current should go to 'testing' so people can test if it will even work. And maybe there is some replacement (lightweight)(GTK?)burner software to go to main tree.

Cheers!
I would vote for recorder: http://code.google.com/p/recorder/
But i seriously doubt that leaving k3b out of kde/ is a solution.
Maybe the solution would be to upgrade it to some later version than the one now, and keep updating it after the release, even if its not a security update.
 
Old 08-04-2009, 01:29 PM   #725
brianL
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Oldham, Lancs, England
Distribution: Slackware & Slackware64 14.1
Posts: 6,911
Blog Entries: 51

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Emacs-23.1
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/em.../msg01526.html
http://emacs-fu.blogspot.com/2009/07...very-near.html

Last edited by brianL; 08-04-2009 at 01:31 PM.
 
Old 08-05-2009, 06:44 AM   #726
pwc101
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,846

Rep: Reputation: 128Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahko View Post
I would vote for recorder: http://code.google.com/p/recorder/
Looks nice, that little recorder app. I've written a SlackBuild for it here, in case anyone's interested: ftp://ftp.noc.soton.ac.uk/pub/pwc101...ystem/recorder

Once SlackBuilds.org is accepting submissions again, I'll submit it.
 
Old 08-05-2009, 07:55 AM   #727
Lufbery
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2006
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Distribution: Slackware 64 14.0
Posts: 1,142
Blog Entries: 29

Rep: Reputation: 119Reputation: 119
I agree. Although, it's not that difficult to modify the emacs.SlackBuild script in the source directory to build emacs 23.1 and upgrade the package.

That one reason I'm thankful that Slackware includes not just the source, but also the tools to build packages from the source.

Regards,
 
Old 08-05-2009, 08:22 AM   #728
brianL
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Oldham, Lancs, England
Distribution: Slackware & Slackware64 14.1
Posts: 6,911
Blog Entries: 51

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lufbery View Post
I agree. Although, it's not that difficult to modify the emacs.SlackBuild script in the source directory to build emacs 23.1 and upgrade the package.
Yes, I could try that. Then I might have to blacklist it in slackpkg so it doesn't get "down/up-graded".
 
Old 08-05-2009, 08:51 AM   #729
sahko
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,041

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwc101 View Post
Looks nice, that little recorder app. I've written a SlackBuild for it here, in case anyone's interested: ftp://ftp.noc.soton.ac.uk/pub/pwc101...ystem/recorder

Once SlackBuilds.org is accepting submissions again, I'll submit it.
I've been meaning to do that myself but your scripts are SBo ready, so no need for that anymore.
I think it would be a very useful addition to SBo. Since graveman is unmaintained.
 
Old 08-05-2009, 10:17 AM   #730
veeall
Member
 
Registered: May 2007
Location: Estonia
Distribution: Slackware 12.1, slackware64-current
Posts: 252

Rep: Reputation: 43
Thanks for info about recorder, thanks for the slacbuild also! (Good) K3b had just been failing me again, this time with data cd, i guess it is just not ready yet.

edit: Was rejoicing too early, recorder doesn't cut it too. I ended up with an empty /bin - :-D - i have only myself to blame i guess.

Last edited by veeall; 08-05-2009 at 11:30 PM.
 
Old 08-08-2009, 11:07 PM   #731
shadowsnipes
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,441

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by veeall View Post
So my wish is just to make precompiled _SBo packages available somewhere also, as i presume they are being compiled anyway on a clean slackware system during the testings of a slackbuild.
Many of the SlackBuild maintainers already do this. Check out http://www.slackwiki.org/Writing_A_S...t_Repositories. Not all of the SlackBuilds are SBo, but many are.

Keep in mind, however, that for some software you may want to use special build options or dependencies, so using precompiled packages will not always work for you.
 
Old 08-09-2009, 02:37 AM   #732
veeall
Member
 
Registered: May 2007
Location: Estonia
Distribution: Slackware 12.1, slackware64-current
Posts: 252

Rep: Reputation: 43
I've come to realize the whole issue with binary repository vs compiling is more complicated than it may seem to regular user like me.
Maybe slackbuilds.org could just package sbopkg queue files along with slackbuilds and make them available through sbopkg program interface(?).
 
Old 08-09-2009, 06:13 AM   #733
Nylex
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: London, UK
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,464

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotwellj View Post
And just to add... all of the other packages that people would prefer removed.


Edit: Ok... I should check the dates of comments before I reply.

Jacob
It's a valid point, though.

Question, to those that know: if I don't install the HAL packages, is that going to cause major problems? I'm not sure what it's used by, apart from KDE for automounting (which is why I don't use it). I don't let rc.hald execute on boot and haven't noticed any problems.
 
Old 08-09-2009, 06:49 PM   #734
shadowsnipes
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,441

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by veeall View Post
Maybe slackbuilds.org could just package sbopkg queue files along with slackbuilds and make them available through sbopkg program interface(?).
I do not think that SBo would host queue files as they are intended for sbopkg, which is a third party tool. SBo does not change things for sbopkg. Rather sbopkg is a convenience tool for people to use SBo. However, the sbopkg team may be willing to host those files on their site. If nothing else, I'm sure people will post them to the sbopkg and/or SBo mailing lists.
 
Old 08-09-2009, 09:07 PM   #735
disturbed1
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Location: USA
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,133
Blog Entries: 6

Rep: Reputation: 223Reputation: 223Reputation: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowsnipes View Post
I do not think that SBo would host queue files as they are intended for sbopkg, which is a third party tool. SBo does not change things for sbopkg. Rather sbopkg is a convenience tool for people to use SBo. However, the sbopkg team may be willing to host those files on their site. If nothing else, I'm sure people will post them to the sbopkg and/or SBo mailing lists.
That's a good idea.

Instead of going to slackbuilds.org, and grabbing lame, faac, faad, x264, xvidcore ...... download, build, rinse, repeat, just download a single sbopkg build queue for ffmpeg.
 
  


Reply

Tags
cd, live


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slackware future? coyctecm Slackware 12 02-01-2006 10:03 PM
Future of Slackware kratunko Slackware 30 08-12-2005 12:31 PM
Slackware features? rusty_slacker Slackware 49 12-02-2004 04:45 AM
what are the features of the new slackware 9? ethanchic Slackware 2 09-27-2002 06:15 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration