LinuxQuestions.org
LinuxAnswers - the LQ Linux tutorial section.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 03-02-2009, 04:10 PM   #406
rkelsen
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 1,754

Rep: Reputation: 169Reputation: 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by business_kid View Post
and preferably drop kde and grab gnome
New around here aren't you?
 
Old 03-02-2009, 04:13 PM   #407
mRgOBLIN
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Jun 2002
Location: New Zealand
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 999

Rep: Reputation: 227Reputation: 227Reputation: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by business_kid View Post
and preferably drop kde and grab gnome.

2. PACKAGE MANAGEMENT.
And change the name to IBLUNTU....
 
Old 03-02-2009, 08:07 PM   #408
mbvo
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: the land of confusion
Distribution: slackware-current
Posts: 220

Rep: Reputation: 31
Id like to see a stable kde4 release on slackware, gnome as an extra, and a few more features on xfce(light doesnt have to mean boring). Also wireless connectivity isn't quite simple enough. in order to use my wireless card i have to install wicd from the extras, set a static dns to opendsn servers, and some networks wont do dhcp on my laptop more than once so i have to take note of the ip address and set it to static for that network.
 
Old 03-02-2009, 08:23 PM   #409
mlangdn
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Location: Kentucky
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 1,377

Rep: Reputation: 170Reputation: 170
Quote:
This thread gets more absurd every day...
How about giving Slackware a sexy voice? My computer runs 24/7, so, when I sit down and move the mouse, the wide screen comes to life, the hd starts to spin up, and a sexy voice says:

Ooooooooo Michael - that feels soooo good. Are you ready to play again so soon?
 
Old 03-02-2009, 08:32 PM   #410
mbvo
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: the land of confusion
Distribution: slackware-current
Posts: 220

Rep: Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangdn View Post
How about giving Slackware a sexy voice? My computer runs 24/7, so, when I sit down and move the mouse, the wide screen comes to life, the hd starts to spin up, and a sexy voice says:

Ooooooooo Michael - that feels soooo good. Are you ready to play again so soon?
lmao, that doesnt sound to hard to do. write a program that detects the computer going idle, when something changes play a sound file. while your at it maybe make it more complicated and use some graphics libraries make the screen go 3d into a face that goes with the sound file and then disappears again.
 
Old 03-02-2009, 08:35 PM   #411
digger95
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2007
Location: Indiana, PA
Distribution: Slackware 14
Posts: 330

Rep: Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbvo View Post
make the screen go 3d into a face that goes with the sound file
Face? I was thinking something else.

Last edited by digger95; 03-02-2009 at 08:36 PM.
 
Old 03-02-2009, 08:45 PM   #412
mbvo
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: the land of confusion
Distribution: slackware-current
Posts: 220

Rep: Reputation: 31
heck full body, and another idea, when my computer starts up i want it to tell me "hey baby, you really know how to turn me on..." when it goes to sleep, "you really wore me out, I think im going to take a nap." and just a thought... when you power down, "now that's a major turnoff ."
 
Old 03-02-2009, 10:12 PM   #413
AceofSpades19
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Location: Chilliwack,BC.Canada
Distribution: Slackware64 -current
Posts: 2,079

Rep: Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbvo View Post
Id like to see a stable kde4 release on slackware, gnome as an extra, and a few more features on xfce(light doesnt have to mean boring). Also wireless connectivity isn't quite simple enough. in order to use my wireless card i have to install wicd from the extras, set a static dns to opendsn servers, and some networks wont do dhcp on my laptop more than once so i have to take note of the ip address and set it to static for that network.
Slackware developers don't write xfce
 
Old 03-02-2009, 10:58 PM   #414
zoran119
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2007
Posts: 217

Rep: Reputation: 18
cairo with xcb enabled so i can compile awesome3
 
Old 03-03-2009, 07:47 AM   #415
mbvo
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: the land of confusion
Distribution: slackware-current
Posts: 220

Rep: Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceofSpades19 View Post
Slackware developers don't write xfce
i know they dont but i geuss what i means was maybe they could include a few more packages. when i installed slackware the last time in order to get xfce the way i wanted i downloaded the extra packages from http://rlworkman.net/pkgs/12.2/xfce4-goodies/
 
Old 03-03-2009, 08:19 AM   #416
hitest
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: Prince Rupert, B.C., Canada
Distribution: Slackware, OpenBSD
Posts: 4,170

Rep: Reputation: 534Reputation: 534Reputation: 534Reputation: 534Reputation: 534Reputation: 534
I am following the development of KDE in Slackware with keen interest. I am curious. Is there a good chance that KDE 4.x will be included as the default version of KDE for Slackware 13.0? I've become a huge fan of KDE.
 
Old 03-03-2009, 09:52 AM   #417
rworkman
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama (USA)
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,913

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbvo View Post
i know they dont but i geuss what i means was maybe they could include a few more packages. when i installed slackware the last time in order to get xfce the way i wanted i downloaded the extra packages from http://rlworkman.net/pkgs/12.2/xfce4-goodies/
The problem with shipping goodies with Slackware is: where to draw the line? IOW, which goodies should be shipped and which ones should not? We could ship the ones that *I* find useful, but then, why should *my* preferences get more weight than *your* preferences? (okay, there's a good answer for that, but I won't go there) ;-)

I'm considering pushing for the thunar-volman plugin and xfce4-power-manager goodies to be shipped with the xfce-4.6.0 package in slackware -next; thunar expects the volume manager plugin to be present, so that one's probably a good idea, and the power manager is just nine degrees of awesomeness, so it's a given IMHO. :-)
 
Old 03-03-2009, 11:32 AM   #418
Anonymo
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2004
Location: The Woodlands, Texas
Distribution: Slackware, Archlinux, CentOS
Posts: 183

Rep: Reputation: 27
An option in the installer that only installs a base installation. We don't use Floppy drives to install Slackware anymore (for the most part).

We need a BASE Install

BASE
KDE
XFCE

Something like this, we already have KDE section separate.
 
Old 03-03-2009, 12:03 PM   #419
rworkman
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama (USA)
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,913

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymo View Post
An option in the installer that only installs a base installation. We don't use Floppy drives to install Slackware anymore (for the most part).

We need a BASE Install

BASE
KDE
XFCE

Something like this, we already have KDE section separate.
Too much work for too limited (if any) benefit.
If you don't believe me, work it out yourself.
If you get that far, then try to maintain it through a -current cycle into the next release.

Once you've done that, take notes on how much interest there *really* is for it, and perhaps you'll understand then. :-)
 
Old 03-03-2009, 05:16 PM   #420
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 5,259

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitest View Post
Is there a good chance that KDE 4.x will be included as the default version of KDE for Slackware 13.0? I've become a huge fan of KDE.
I think it is inevitable.

Eric
 
  


Reply

Tags
cd, live


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slackware future? coyctecm Slackware 12 02-01-2006 10:03 PM
Future of Slackware kratunko Slackware 30 08-12-2005 12:31 PM
Slackware features? rusty_slacker Slackware 49 12-02-2004 04:45 AM
what are the features of the new slackware 9? ethanchic Slackware 2 09-27-2002 06:15 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration