LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
LinkBack Search this Thread
Old 12-10-2007, 03:00 PM   #16
raconteur
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2007
Location: Slightly left of center
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 276
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_TeXMeX_H View Post
Hey, I was thinking the same thing
I'm one of those weirdos who loves KDE for desktop machines. I don't install it for any other style boxes but for my desktops I've become quite fond of KDE.
 
Old 12-10-2007, 03:03 PM   #17
Alien_Hominid
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: Lithuania
Distribution: Hybrid
Posts: 2,247

Rep: Reputation: 53
Even I would not be against KDE removal, I think it would be an unwise choice, because Slackware would drop even more in popularity just for being w/o full featured desktop environment. Not all Slackware users are console gurus. Lots of them use Slackware because of stability.
 
Old 12-10-2007, 03:17 PM   #18
H_TeXMeX_H
Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: $RANDOM
Distribution: slackware64
Posts: 12,928
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266Reputation: 1266
isn't XFCE fully-featured enough, without all the bloat and buggyness of KDE ?
 
Old 12-10-2007, 03:21 PM   #19
raconteur
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2007
Location: Slightly left of center
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 276
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by H_TeXMeX_H View Post
isn't XFCE fully-featured enough, without all the bloat and buggyness of KDE ?
Yes... but its ugly.

I don't find KDE to be annoyingly buggy.
 
Old 12-10-2007, 03:28 PM   #20
bioe007
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2006
Location: lynnwood, wa - usa
Distribution: archlinux
Posts: 654

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSquaredF View Post
I would mainly like to see fewer packages.
I second that. Why have so many apps that do the same thing?

no wait.. .I disagree, me like many apps so its easy to try a bunch out and find one I really like..

but no- I don't like 3 cds...

slackware is good.
 
Old 12-10-2007, 03:31 PM   #21
brilleaben
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2007
Posts: 4

Rep: Reputation: 0
Hmm ... what to I want from Slackware? Several things:

1) A minimalist GUI slackware w/o KDE (just having WindowMaker (my preferred window manager) and the other 'minimalistic' window managers)
2) Support for PAM (<= looking over my laptop - was that a flame coming my way?)
3) Fewer packages, like, _one_ program pr. function. E.g. settle for (f.ex.) firefox for
web browsing, thunderbird for email, mplayer for media playing etc. etc.
4) GRUB instead of lilo (<= is that another flame coming my way?)

But hey! I am satisfied the way Slackware is today. It comes closest to the way I want
linux to work for me .....!
 
Old 12-10-2007, 03:37 PM   #22
Dinithion
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2007
Location: Norway
Distribution: Slackware 13.37
Posts: 436

Rep: Reputation: 56
I would agree to remove some of the packages.
Another thing I would like to see is better support for ldap.
I have never used slackware as a ldap server/client (But will be my first priority after my final exam the next week). Until now I have only used debian as ldap server/client, as my teacher said slackware needed bunch of upgrading to support pam/nss. My book in that course is fairly old (a few years), so the support could have changed, and I haven't checked it out either.
 
Old 12-10-2007, 03:39 PM   #23
XavierP
Moderator
 
Registered: Nov 2002
Location: Kent, England
Distribution: Lubuntu
Posts: 19,165
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 426Reputation: 426Reputation: 426Reputation: 426Reputation: 426
For everyone who doesn't want KDE included, you do realise that you don't have to install it, don't you? It's a set of selectable packages that you can choose not to select. Remember, Slack doesn't force you to do most things.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:20 PM   #24
Acron_0248
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: Venezuela
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 449

Rep: Reputation: 33
What I would like to have in slackware is only one thing...

- FTP/HTTP installation media feature

Yes, there's NFS, but even then, I will like to see that some day and just download a 'debian-netinstall-like'.

One note about having too many packages, well, as always have been, if you have too many programs that do the same, at least in a general way, is becauses not everybody will share the same preferences, for some audacious, for others amarok, for others even mpg321, remove packages is the same as remove choices.

A bad thing will be if you were forced to use one that you don't like



Regards
 
Old 12-10-2007, 05:13 PM   #25
rkelsen
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 1,748

Rep: Reputation: 159Reputation: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by /y0shi View Post
I think Slackware could leave KDE behind like it did with GNOME and leave KDE to other people.
People who say things like this still don't understand the reasons GNOME was dropped in the first place. Look it up. And get the hell over it. I mean, FFS, this happened more than two years ago!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinithion
I would agree to remove some of the packages.
Of course, you understand that with every package removed, Slackware would become less flexible, right? If you don't want something installed, you can unselect it at installation time. Slackware doesn't force you to install anything.
 
Old 12-10-2007, 05:17 PM   #26
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Midwest USA, Central Illinois
Distribution: SlackwareŽ
Posts: 10,882
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 1307Reputation: 1307Reputation: 1307Reputation: 1307Reputation: 1307Reputation: 1307Reputation: 1307Reputation: 1307Reputation: 1307Reputation: 1307
Hi,

I agree with you XavierP. A lot of people don't realize the custom installs that you can do with Slackware. What about tagfiles? If you don't want everything then setup your Tagfiles to set the way you want the install.

I hope PV never gets in a mindset like 'ubuntu'. I wouldn't think he would be pressured into anything. His stance with the 2.4 kernel was a wise one for previous releases. I'm sure people who have direct contact can give us some insight on this. Alien_Bob has gotten a lot into Slackware; such as the rc configuration files (Alien_Bob's SlackwareŽ rc Scripts) and I'm glad. But PV has stated that Erik has pressured for other inclusions. I'm sure that others have done the same but it is PV's distribution and he has done a great job along with the team to provide a GREAT Distribution.

As someone else has stated and I agree; 'If it ain't broke don't fix it!'.

As a Slackware user we can modify to suit our needs as we see fit without some admin monkey dictating to us that we must wait for the next release to get the application we want. And if something is included that is not desirable then we just strip it out or on the install exclude it.

As for 'my' wants for the next Slackware release; I want to see 'src2pkg-1.7' included and recommended as the official manager. That is a jewel of a manager.

I would also like to see the use of a 'ftp' installer LIKE 'lmo-installer-0.2' for users that are really lazy or just can't seem to burn a good iso image. Yes, I've used the installer and it took '137' minutes to install a full Slackware 12.0. The system was functional. I took it down because of some issues that I was having on my LAN.

I had gotten hooked by some 'Trojans' on my laptop that was lent to my sister-in-law, long story. Yes, M$Vista was active on it's partition. She's a MAC user and would not use my linux. She teaches M$, along with the OS and a bunch of M$ B$. So I figured see was smart enough to work safely. I know it was her but I will solve it by saying that the M$ Vista is broken if she would need it when she visits. Won't be a lie.

Back to the point. I would like to see 'Erik's SlackwareŽ 12.0 USB_Install' another great alternate means for installation. Slackware 12.0 on my key chain and I can install it for anyone to see.

As for the Slackbook. I think more volunteers to update or even create another edition would probably help;

Quote:
from Slackbook;

What's it all about?

This website is the home of the Revised Slackware Book Project (the project).

The regulars on alt.os.linux.slackware (a newsgroup) have been discussing the revision of "The Book", otherwise known as "Slackware Linux Essentials - The Official Guide To Slackware Linux", created by David Cantrell, Logan Johnson & Chris Lumens.

This website is the result of that project. So far it's been a long and grueling project with lots of struggles as we all have jobs and other volunteer work, and let's face it, documentation isn't fun. :^) All the content here is licensed with the Gnu General Public License version 2.

Should you be willing to contribute to this endeavor whether with your own personal writing or by pointing out errors and corrections, you can send me an e-mail at the address alan at lizella dot net (e-mail munged and not linked because spammers have been harvesting e-mails from here for some time).

Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds. Slackware is a registered trademark of Slackware Linux, Inc. and Patrick Volkerding.
I've been pondering about this for sometime. I've just got so much on my platter and it's over flowing. My wife is constantly telling me to slow down. She's got my physician on her side now. So I will probably back off on some of my to-do/want-to-do list(s). I enjoy sharing my knowledge. I hope that doesn't come off to boastful or arrogant to some?? Sometimes my train of thought can be broken. I therefore must read and re-read what I've written. Those damn drugs cloud my brain therefore my train of thought. (Legally taken) I want to continue to breath and the heart pumping.

I've gotten into some debates and after reading them over after a recovery, I'm really embarrassed about some of my points. No excuse but I will attempt to guard myself close. I know that I'm lingering now because the pain meds are kicking in. I've said it in the past, when I'm down. I tend to pickup my machine out of boredom. In hopes of stimulating my mind so the drugs can be handled.
 
Old 12-11-2007, 10:00 AM   #27
rworkman
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama (USA)
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,904

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciol View Post
I'd like:
- Official ports for other architectures.
Which ones have you ported? Those things don't happen by magic - they require lots of time and effort (and perhaps animal sacrifices)...

Quote:
- A more open development.
What do you mean by this?

Quote:
- A difference between non-free (like Java) and free softwares (i.e a /non-free directory).
IMHO, that's fodder for Debian - if users are concerned about "non-free" software, they are free to not install it.

Quote:
- Firefox compiled from source.
Why? Note that there's at least one valid reason wanting this, but I'm curious of what *your* reasons might be.

Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, all posts are *my* thoughts and/or opinions and/or judgments and should not be perceived as official statements representing Slackware.com
 
Old 12-11-2007, 11:40 AM   #28
shadowsnipes
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,441

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 70
I think what people mean by "more open development" is that they would like to see some sort of direct line of communication between Pat and Slackware users. Something like Pat's Slackware blog (or even myspace page) where users can hear what he has to say about the development process and respond back, give many thanks, etc.

I think something like this would be interesting to see.

I don't really think src2pkg should be the "new" package system, but I do think it should be included (at least in /extra). I think the simple package manager is brilliant.

Having more installation media options is always a good thing because it helps more people to get Slackware!

I agree with previous comments about the documentation, wikis, etc being too spread out over the internet. It would be nice to have an updated slackbook/slackwiki directly on slackware.com. This seems much more like our responsibility than the official Slackware team as they have plenty on their hands.

I also agree that Slackware should not drop packages (unless they cause conflicts) because as previously said they do give more choices. I particularly like that fact that with Slackware you have most of the libraries you will ever need. If people want one package per use then they can use Zenwalk or set up a tag file. If people don't like KDE then don't select it during the install.

It almost seems silly when people ask for certain packages to be added to Slackware because it is such a trivial task to add many of them. For instance, it would be nice to have mplayer + plugins, ntfs-3g, and perhaps more Xfce plugins to come with the install, but a lot of this is very easy to add on your own. And special builds for Firefox...what about swiftfox or SwiftWeasel? I don't see why this should be added as it is readily available; it would be unnecessary work for the Slackware team when they could use that time for something more important.

So what are the top priorities of the slackware team for the near future? Perhaps that where Pat's Slackware blog can answer some questions. More than likely the answer will always contain "keep doing more of the same good thing".

Last edited by shadowsnipes; 12-11-2007 at 01:01 PM. Reason: I meant SwiftWeasel not IceWeasel
 
Old 12-11-2007, 11:50 AM   #29
ciol
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Posts: 18

Rep: Reputation: 1
Quote:
Which ones have you ported? Those things don't happen by magic - they require lots of time and effort (and perhaps animal sacrifices)...
You're right, but one can provide the templates to facilitate the ports.
For instance, PV can put CFLAGS, etc. in a /etc/makepkg.conf, instead of doing in the slackbuild:

Code:
ARCH=${ARCH:-i486}

if [ "$ARCH" = "i386" ]; then
  SLKCFLAGS="-O2 -march=i386 -mcpu=i686"
elif [ "$ARCH" = "i486" ]; then
  SLKCFLAGS="-O2 -march=i486 -mtune=i686"
elif [ "$ARCH" = "s390" ]; then
  SLKCFLAGS="-O2"
elif [ "$ARCH" = "x86_64" ]; then
  SLKCFLAGS="-O2"
fi

It's something very simple, but more serious.

Quote:
Quote:
- A more open development.
What do you mean by this?
Official developers, a 'bugzilla', a mailing list, etc.


Quote:
IMHO, that's fodder for Debian - if users are concerned about "non-free" software, they are free to not install it.
Not every user can know if a software is free or not.
It's something very simple to do again.


Quote:
Quote:
- Firefox compiled from source.
Why? Note that there's at least one valid reason wanting this, but I'm curious of what *your* reasons might be.

Because:
- cf above.
- This is open source. It's psychological. Even if slack is only officially ported for x86.
The question is: what if Slackware was ported for another arch?


Quote:
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, all posts are *my* thoughts and/or opinions and/or judgments and should not be perceived as official statements representing Slackware.com
There isn't slackware.com. There is Patrick Volkerding.
 
Old 12-11-2007, 12:10 PM   #30
febriansasi
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Location: /home/febrian/
Distribution: SLACKWARE Current, KDE 3.5.9, JFS on Thinkpad R61
Posts: 24

Rep: Reputation: 16
Wink

Just My Opinion.
My Pc Are Old . P3 800mhz Sdram128mb.
And After Try Several Distros, I Feel Comfort With Slack.
Not All Distros Friendly With Old Pc.
Fast,stable,customable.
Slack Is Linux,
I Love To Doing My Work Through Konsole Coz Less Consume My Pc Resource.
Madplay, Mplayer,
Bashburn
Are My Favourite Application.
So, I Hope Next Version
1.there's Alot Of Console App.
2.support And Friendly With Old Pc
3.why Fix If It Isn't Broken
 
1 members found this post helpful.
  


Reply

Tags
cd, live


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slackware future? coyctecm Slackware 12 02-01-2006 10:03 PM
Future of Slackware kratunko Slackware 30 08-12-2005 12:31 PM
Slackware features? rusty_slacker Slackware 49 12-02-2004 04:45 AM
what are the features of the new slackware 9? ethanchic Slackware 2 09-27-2002 06:15 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:50 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration