LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 01-15-2008, 05:59 PM   #241
PsychoticDude85
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Distribution: Slackware -current - KDE 3.5.10
Posts: 62

Rep: Reputation: 15

The website could be given a makeover and made to continue looking good in text-only browsers simultaneously. Just takes some thought into how the markup is going to be structured. What I'd like to see on the site side though, is less the look of the thing - but things like:
+ Maybe more focus on "community" as well as "support". I am also in support of trying to centralise and bring knowledge together into say one wiki, one bugzilla, one forum (I'm perfectly willing to discuss exactly what is possible, perhaps we're too diverse to do that, but I think the "official" stamp just gives a much better idea that Slack is alive and well).
+ RSS feeds for the changelog, yes, I'm lame enough to have one open in a tab of my web browser most of the time - but having it in akregator would be much nicer.
+ A bit more news, even if it's just "the -current tree has re-opened! test test test" and the like. I've seen blog suggestions, but I'm not sure Pat would be keen on that, he's already unhappy that the changelog is getting bloggy

NetworkManager interests me, and I can definitely see the desire for a grub installer some day. Lilo works for me at the moment now, so it's just something I think the distro might benefit from rather than me specifically.
 
Old 01-15-2008, 09:24 PM   #242
gargamel
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2003
Distribution: Slackware, SLAX, OpenSuSE
Posts: 1,605

Rep: Reputation: 142Reputation: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acron_0248 View Post
CSS here and there may be good, however, I think that a lot people tends to mixes the outside with the inside of things, and how those are related, let me explain...


I sold you a car, it's a beauty, shinny, marvelous, flashy, fancy, you just looked the outside and already you want to buy it, but the inside is another history, the engine is used, lacks of performance, it will stops everytime you try to use the car.....will you buy it? no, you won't, and worst, you'll tell everyone you know that the car doesn't work.

My point with this is that not just because looks good for the outside will be good inside, Slackware is a beauty inside, and like the distro, "the home page just works", it serves its purpose...

Yes, by nature, humans tends to see first the outside, and do things based on that, but in the ends is just silly, slackware "sells" it self by being a rock solid distro that works, not by having a fancy web page, in a proper sense, with a shinny page, you'll be selling...the page.

If it ain't broken, don't fixed it.


Regards

Yes, alas, it's completely the other way round with Slackware: It *is* a beauty inside, eg. it now has D-BUS and HAL and UDEV, and all three work together so nicely as in hardly any other distribution. Which means that Slackware 12.0 scores high in end-user friendliness, finally! And that without giving up the least bit of what makes it so strong on servers. But the outside appearance is bound to chase away potential users... Which is a pity.

By saying the web site could use a little shape-up, I don't mean I want to see more show and less content. I am sure, however, that it could look a little more appealing, and still keep its unique style and its underlying KISS principle. Navigation is good, no doubt, so don't change that significantly. And the result doesn't have to look as fashionable as the Sabayon Linux website.

Regarding the "Slackware mindset": That's chicken and egg, I guess. Currently people might turn away after seeing the website, before they even know that they have got that mindset.

Hmm. Not to spoil all my arguments, but: As a matter of fact, I didn't find Slackware. It found me.

gargamel
 
Old 01-16-2008, 08:47 AM   #243
Alien_Hominid
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: Lithuania
Distribution: Hybrid
Posts: 2,247

Rep: Reputation: 53
Am I the only one, who thinks, that people, who know, what they want, find Slackware themselves? Pretty webpage is not important for them. I'm satisfied with Slackware webpage, because it lets you access information as comfortably as possible (Sabayon page probably makes people nervous). And Slackware design is one the best designs I have seen yet (the other being http://ircd-hybrid.com/).
 
Old 01-16-2008, 09:12 AM   #244
TL_CLD
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Posts: 342

Rep: Reputation: 34
I would like to see PostgreSQL officially supported by Slackware.


Thomas
 
Old 01-16-2008, 09:36 AM   #245
hitest
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: Prince Rupert, B.C., Canada
Distribution: Slackware, OpenBSD
Posts: 4,191

Rep: Reputation: 548Reputation: 548Reputation: 548Reputation: 548Reputation: 548Reputation: 548
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien_Hominid View Post
Am I the only one, who thinks, that people, who know, what they want, find Slackware themselves? Pretty webpage is not important for them. I'm satisfied with Slackware webpage, because it lets you access information as comfortably as possible (Sabayon page probably makes people nervous). And Slackware design is one the best designs I have seen yet (the other being http://ircd-hybrid.com/).
Agreed. The Slackware site works for me; I can easily access the information and software that I need.
 
Old 01-16-2008, 09:52 AM   #246
shadowsnipes
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,441

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 70
Probably most people learn about Slackware from word of mouth or forum rather than looking at different Linux distro web sites. However, as previously mentioned, centralizing some of the knowledge to the website would be very good.
 
Old 01-16-2008, 10:15 AM   #247
Acron_0248
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: Venezuela
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 453

Rep: Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien_Hominid View Post
Am I the only one, who thinks, that people, who know, what they want, find Slackware themselves? Pretty webpage is not important for them. I'm satisfied with Slackware webpage, because it lets you access information as comfortably as possible (Sabayon page probably makes people nervous). And Slackware design is one the best designs I have seen yet (the other being http://ircd-hybrid.com/).
Indeed...the page does what it was designed to, the way it should be.


Quote:
Originally Posted by gargamel
...But the outside appearance is bound to chase away potential users... Which is a pity.

By saying the web site could use a little shape-up, I don't mean I want to see more show and less content. I am sure, however, that it could look a little more appealing, and still keep its unique style and its underlying KISS principle. Navigation is good, no doubt, so don't change that significantly. And the result doesn't have to look as fashionable as the Sabayon Linux website.

And I see your point, however, potential users won't stay just because the page, you can have a good looking page, nothing fancy, just a little markup here and there, but if the user don't like at all the distribution, no matter if your page is atractive enough to bring the attention of new comers, the only potential users will be those who enjoy the distribution.

Based on that, I think that it's unnecessary to change something that it's already working fine, and I don't think that people who started to use slackware here on LQ felt dissapointed when they saw the page for the first time, I know I didn't, the page didn't scare me away.




Regards
 
Old 01-16-2008, 10:42 AM   #248
brianL
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Oldham, Lancs, England
Distribution: Slackware & Slackware64 14.1
Posts: 7,041
Blog Entries: 52

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
The Slackware website supplies what it's supposed to: information, not eye-candy.
 
Old 01-16-2008, 11:15 AM   #249
H_TeXMeX_H
Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: $RANDOM
Distribution: slackware64
Posts: 12,928
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269
I say more color contrasts in the web site would be nice at least to make it more clear. If it's all white like it is now it's hard to see where to click or to distinguish sections from background. (changing the background to something darker would help for example, and if the buttons would become highlighted when moused over, that would be great it would fix pretty much everything appearance-wise).
 
Old 01-16-2008, 12:58 PM   #250
PsychoticDude85
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Distribution: Slackware -current - KDE 3.5.10
Posts: 62

Rep: Reputation: 15
I'm not so sure that the navigation is the strong point, it's not bad - but there could be a bit more "eye-catching" areas of the site to highlight the most important elements of the site (getslack and community/support I think could do with being fairly prominent). Also, there is a little ambiguity in the link text I would have said (i.e. if I read the list quickly, then decided I wanted to find out about the distro, I'd click "about", when actually the majority of the content is in "general info"). For an idea of what I mean see this quick draft (though, note it's mainly to give an idea of structure [I'm no designer], and since I was writing markup as I was going along layout bugs are possible).

The design however, is adequate, and the structure too. So it's not a great priority. I would have said centralising things into one knowledge base to avoid duplication of effort is more important at this stage. The current spread out system of community and support does work, but I would say it really works best for people who've been using it for a while - and that new users are left in the dark about how this spread out community operates. Plus, having things on one domain is very intuitive, it means you can standardise where all the parts are (i.e. you could guess that the wiki might be at wiki.slackware.com if you know the forum is at forum.slackware.com, and it's easy to remember once you know the convention). Alternatively, if we don't want to shift to one server those could be made to redirect as necessary.

Last edited by PsychoticDude85; 01-16-2008 at 06:27 PM.
 
Old 01-16-2008, 06:25 PM   #251
gargamel
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2003
Distribution: Slackware, SLAX, OpenSuSE
Posts: 1,605

Rep: Reputation: 142Reputation: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by TL_CLD View Post
I would like to see PostgreSQL officially supported by Slackware.


Thomas
Me too.

gargamel
 
Old 04-09-2008, 11:45 PM   #252
shadowsnipes
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,441

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 70
Since Slackware 12.1 is to be released relatively soon, it seems like a good time to look back on some of the posts in this thread and compare what has actually changed.

How do things measure up for you?
 
Old 04-12-2008, 04:10 PM   #253
ufotofu
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Posts: 7

Rep: Reputation: 0
Here's another vote for postgresql, the most powerful open source database server. Postgres running on slackware is a perfect match, solid and dependable.
 
Old 04-13-2008, 01:40 PM   #254
Hevoos
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2007
Distribution: Debian Lenny, Slackware 12
Posts: 22

Rep: Reputation: 15
Well, at least they could update the information about Slackware on their site. Just look here and you'll see what I mean:
http://slackware.com/info/.
 
Old 04-13-2008, 01:43 PM   #255
H_TeXMeX_H
Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: $RANDOM
Distribution: slackware64
Posts: 12,928
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269
Yes, it is outdated isn't it. I'd also like the site to change a bit, just to make it more readable and maybe improve the look while you're at it. I wonder ... if I were to make a new site design, then submit it ... would it have a chance ? Or would I be wasting my time ? And, no, it won't look like my site, I made it that way just to save time, I didn't put much time into it.

Last edited by H_TeXMeX_H; 04-13-2008 at 01:44 PM.
 
  


Reply

Tags
cd, live


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slackware future? coyctecm Slackware 12 02-01-2006 10:03 PM
Future of Slackware kratunko Slackware 30 08-12-2005 12:31 PM
Slackware features? rusty_slacker Slackware 49 12-02-2004 04:45 AM
what are the features of the new slackware 9? ethanchic Slackware 2 09-27-2002 06:15 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration