LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 07-16-2017, 11:07 AM   #16
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 6,572

Rep: Reputation: 3820Reputation: 3820Reputation: 3820Reputation: 3820Reputation: 3820Reputation: 3820Reputation: 3820Reputation: 3820Reputation: 3820Reputation: 3820Reputation: 3820

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwizardone View Post
Since Firefox version 52 you have been able to stream video, at least Netflix, by doing the above. Nothing else is necessary. You may have to re-start Firefox after making the change.
What happens after you check that DRM checkbox, is that Firefox will start a background task to download the libwidevinecdm.so library from a predefined URL and save the library into your local firefox user profile. That was wat aus9 meant to say.
By default, the Firefox browser comes DRM-free to appease those in the development community who oppose the inclusion of non-free software in their browser. Similar to the way Chromium comes without DRM library by default - but with Chromium you have to add it manually afterwards.
 
5 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:13 AM   #17
twy
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2004
Distribution: Slackware64
Posts: 36

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Lightbulb ffmpeg

For Firefox to play streaming video (html5 video, webm etc.) on most web sites like youtube and news sites, I think you need to install ffmpeg from slackbuilds.org

http://slackbuilds.org/repository/14...imedia/ffmpeg/

Firefox will use it if it is installed. Then, you can disable or uninstall flashplayer and its plugin.

In Firefox, you can see the url "about:config" and check that the preference name "media.ffmpeg.enabled" is set to true. I think the defaults work.
 
Old 07-16-2017, 11:34 AM   #18
glorsplitz
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2002
Distribution: slackware!
Posts: 453

Rep: Reputation: 80
maybe check here Internet Archive?

non-profit library of millions of free books, movies, software, music, websites, and more

Last edited by glorsplitz; 07-16-2017 at 11:39 AM.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:41 AM   #19
Darth Vader
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Romania
Distribution: DARKSTAR Linux 2008.1
Posts: 1,089

Rep: Reputation: 406Reputation: 406Reputation: 406Reputation: 406Reputation: 406
< nothing interesting here >

Last edited by Darth Vader; 07-16-2017 at 11:50 AM.
 
Old 07-16-2017, 11:51 AM   #20
jamison20000e
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: ...uncanny valley... infinity\1975; (randomly born:) Milwaukee, WI, US, Earth, end border$! ◣◢┌∩┐ Fe26-E,e...
Distribution: any GPL that works well on my cheapest; has been KDE or CLI but open... http://goo.gl/NqgqJx &c ;-)
Posts: 3,556
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 1054Reputation: 1054Reputation: 1054Reputation: 1054Reputation: 1054Reputation: 1054Reputation: 1054Reputation: 1054
I use Chrome('s stable) for HULU, Amazon video and so on but the unstable one for day to day unless neither works for whatever then FF or Nightly... wouldn't use a google account with chrome tho. (As always script blockers &c!)
https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...ml#post5735624
 
Old 07-16-2017, 12:18 PM   #21
Darth Vader
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Romania
Distribution: DARKSTAR Linux 2008.1
Posts: 1,089

Rep: Reputation: 406Reputation: 406Reputation: 406Reputation: 406Reputation: 406
For me, the NETFLIX and HBO-GO, which I currently use, both works fine on Slackware Current, on Firefox and Chromium.

Also, I use my ISP's service called DIGI-online, with the same great success. This gives me the TV channels, but on-line.

In my opinion, is all about the download speed, but how I live in Romania, my home package gives me 1Gbps download and 500Mbps upload. Roaming in my city, I have from my ISP a secondary service, as access to Wifi hotspots at 150mbps on every bus, restaurant, bar, park, somewhat important place.

Oh, and I pay for phone, mobiles for entire family, about one hundred HD channels on TV, Internet as described, all worth EUR 25. Also I pay EUR 10 for Netflix.

It is worth to risk a damned lawsuit with fines up to $25000, for pirating, err... "watching for free" some lame written movie, full of bad acting, when I can watch tons of quality movies and series for next to nothing, legally?

That's how we do the things in Romania, at least...

Last edited by Darth Vader; 07-16-2017 at 12:47 PM.
 
Old 07-16-2017, 12:35 PM   #22
jamison20000e
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: ...uncanny valley... infinity\1975; (randomly born:) Milwaukee, WI, US, Earth, end border$! ◣◢┌∩┐ Fe26-E,e...
Distribution: any GPL that works well on my cheapest; has been KDE or CLI but open... http://goo.gl/NqgqJx &c ;-)
Posts: 3,556
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 1054Reputation: 1054Reputation: 1054Reputation: 1054Reputation: 1054Reputation: 1054Reputation: 1054Reputation: 1054
Question Off topic:

HULU has HBO. Is it worth it?

Maybe once GoT s7 starts...
 
Old 07-16-2017, 04:33 PM   #23
Ztcoracat
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,551
Blog Entries: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by twy View Post
For Firefox to play streaming video (html5 video, webm etc.) on most web sites like youtube and news sites, I think you need to install ffmpeg from slackbuilds.org

http://slackbuilds.org/repository/14...imedia/ffmpeg/

Firefox will use it if it is installed. Then, you can disable or uninstall flashplayer and its plugin.

In Firefox, you can see the url "about:config" and check that the preference name "media.ffmpeg.enabled" is set to true. I think the defaults work.
Thank you.
 
Old 07-16-2017, 04:38 PM   #24
Ztcoracat
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,551
Blog Entries: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
All I needed was to install the flashplayer plugin that I found in Alien Bob's repo,
http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slac...in/pkg64/14.2/

Now I can watch videos and other things on YouTube.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:40 PM   #25
Ztcoracat
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,551
Blog Entries: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMaverick9 View Post
Excuse Me!?!

I did not encourage anything.

I just point out issues with the current way of doing things.

To watch youtube movies, do:
Code:
youtube-dl -q -o - "<youtube url>" | vlc -
or
Code:
youtube-dl -q -o - "<youtube url>" | mplayer -
And "youtube-dl" can do dailymotion as well:
Thanks for posting those cmd's.
 
Old 07-17-2017, 01:56 AM   #26
elcore
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2014
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 311

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztcoracat View Post
All I needed was to install the flashplayer plugin that I found in Alien Bob's repo,
http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slac...in/pkg64/14.2/

Now I can watch videos and other things on YouTube.
Formats on youtube are ok in firefox, they offer vp9 libvpx among other things, which works great on my machine I had tested this extensively.
Some other sites only stream mp4 and that format in firefox just fries my CPU, also anything that uses "openh264" or "flash" runs at 100% CPU.
I've found that downloading these same streams as raw mp4 files into tmpfs and using mplayer with libvdpau works best, in this case the load is always below 25%

For this reason I don't trust any DRM streams, no way to tell what the plugin is doing and how is it using the hardware.
Don't trust the browser binary either because the default configuration spies on the users.
Furthermore I don't trust Darth Vader, because apparently he's getting like 10 times the bandwidth under the same price my ISP is charging for copper line.
 
Old 07-17-2017, 02:59 AM   #27
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 6,572

Rep: Reputation: 3820Reputation: 3820Reputation: 3820Reputation: 3820Reputation: 3820Reputation: 3820Reputation: 3820Reputation: 3820Reputation: 3820Reputation: 3820Reputation: 3820
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcore View Post
Furthermore I don't trust Darth Vader, because apparently he's getting like 10 times the bandwidth under the same price my ISP is charging for copper line.
Well, considering the fact that the average income in Romania is about one-fifth of the average income in the Netherlands, I don't find it strange that he seemingly is paying so little for so much. You could also say that Romania recognized the value of a good national Internet infrastructure with easy access for its people. It is a poor country and in such a case, Internet can make the difference.
 
Old 07-17-2017, 06:32 AM   #28
elcore
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2014
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 311

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Bob View Post
Well, considering the fact that the average income in Romania is about one-fifth of the average income in the Netherlands, I don't find it strange that he seemingly is paying so little for so much. You could also say that Romania recognized the value of a good national Internet infrastructure with easy access for its people. It is a poor country and in such a case, Internet can make the difference.
There is some fiber in my city too, but nothing so extreme, one user on a local forum notes 50/50mbit for 10% less money than my 8/0.9mbit dsl line costs.
Problem is there are no fiber cables, we only got copper in this block and it costs a fortune compared to what the other block pays for fiber line.
If the prices were the same but the bandwidth 10 times as much, or if I were to move to another block I'd probably have netflix for the same monthly cost.
But if I want it here, it would've cost me double. So I don't trust him when he notes that netflix is the best option for everyone.
 
Old 07-17-2017, 06:48 AM   #29
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 6,572

Rep: Reputation: 3820Reputation: 3820Reputation: 3820Reputation: 3820Reputation: 3820Reputation: 3820Reputation: 3820Reputation: 3820Reputation: 3820Reputation: 3820Reputation: 3820
I don't think Darth Vader advertises that Netflix is the best option for everyone. The point he makes is that you have no good reason to want to pirate videos when there are legal online alternatives with a decent price tag. I don't know how old you are, but in the time there was no Internet to speak of, the average family may have spent more than those 10 Euros per month on videotape rentals.

I do however see the major flaw in online distribution of movies. That flaw is geo-locking the content. It is absurd in these modern times where we are all connected, that content providers still feel a need to decide when to release new videos in what regions. Mostly the US will see new releases first - especially for series.
When you have to wait a full year for an online (non-televised) series to become available legally in your region, that encourages pirating these series. It is most annoying to read about how good movies are without the chance for a legal viewing experience. All the online spoilers in fact do spoil it for me - you can not get around the news and pretend these review articles don't exist.
 
3 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:57 AM   #30
elcore
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2014
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 311

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Bob View Post
I don't think Darth Vader advertises that Netflix is the best option for everyone.
He literally does, on page 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Bob View Post
The point he makes is that you have no good reason to want to pirate videos when there are legal online alternatives with a decent price tag. I don't know how old you are, but in the time there was no Internet to speak of, the average family may have spent more than those 10 Euros per month on videotape rentals.
Around the time doom2 came out, I was already in a basement with a LAN of DOS machines, just like a standard nerd.
And you're right, everyone rented tapes back then, I vaguely recall renting Alien for like 5 times.
Somehow I doubt any of that money ever went to the creator though, they probably earn a lot more from youtube trailers today than what they used to get from tapes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Bob View Post
I do however see the major flaw in online distribution of movies. That flaw is geo-locking the content. It is absurd in these modern times where we are all connected, that content providers still feel a need to decide when to release new videos in what regions. Mostly the US will see new releases first - especially for series.
When you have to wait a full year for an online (non-televised) series to become available legally in your region, that encourages pirating these series. It is most annoying to read about how good movies are without the chance for a legal viewing experience. All the online spoilers in fact do spoil it for me - you can not get around the news and pretend these review articles don't exist.
Yes, this is streaming in a nutshell, next step is probably a merge of content stream and personalized ad stream, with no legal way to circumvent.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
unable to watch online movies. greythorne Ubuntu 2 11-03-2005 11:29 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:01 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration