LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   What boot time can I expect with SSD? (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/what-boot-time-can-i-expect-with-ssd-4175451486/)

average_user 02-24-2013 05:43 AM

What boot time can I expect with SSD?
 
I am building a new computer and I am going to get a SSD disk for system installation. I was thinking about Samsung SSD 840 Pro 128 GB, reportedly one of the fastest SSD disks out there. What increase in boot time can I expect on Slackware with current BSD-style startup scripts? I count on your personal experience.

gnashley 02-24-2013 07:16 AM

"What increase in boot time can I expect?" I guess you really mean 'decrease'. I wouldn't expect much of a difference from using a regular SATA disk. I imagine that under 5 seconds difference, if that.

TobiSGD 02-24-2013 08:00 AM

I use a Corsair Force 3 120GB on my main system, from Lilo to login prompt (runlevel 3) with the standard generic kernel, NFS network mounts and starting some daemons the system needs 17 seconds.

average_user 02-24-2013 08:16 AM

I heard that SSD disks can give you a huge boost in performance. 17 seconds is still quite slow. Do you think it has something to do with Slackware specific boot procedure?

Martinus2u 02-24-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnashley (Post 4898609)
"What increase in boot time can I expect?" I guess you really mean 'decrease'. I wouldn't expect much of a difference from using a regular SATA disk. I imagine that under 5 seconds difference, if that.

From memory, that is about the speedup I got when moving my workstation to SSD. Currently it takes about 12 s from boot loader to logon. I remember seeing a slightly more noticable difference on a laptop.

gnashley 02-24-2013 08:21 AM

"Do you think it has something to do with Slackware specific boot procedure?" Yes, I do. Slackware init process does some things that other distros don't do during bootup. And the general procedure is not optimized for sanity, not speed.

TobiSGD 02-24-2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by average_user (Post 4898629)
I heard that SSD disks can give you a huge boost in performance. 17 seconds is still quite slow. Do you think it has something to do with Slackware specific boot procedure?

With Debian on the slower SSD (Intel X40-V) in my laptop I was able to boot from Grub prompt to an (autologged in) Openbox WM in less than ten seconds. I never bothered with speeding up the boot time, since I rarely boot, but AFAIK Slackware's init system leaves much room to optimize, so that you can get far better boot times than I do.
I just don't care about boot times, so I never tried it.

average_user 02-24-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnashley (Post 4898635)
Slackware init process does some things that other distros don't do during bootup. And the general procedure is not optimized for sanity, not speed.

Yes, I know that and I am aware of that. Apart from boot time, I hope SSD disk will enhance my productivity in other areas such as searching for files, copying files, indexing a few thousands of e-mails and starting big programs. Can someone confirm the difference?


Quote:

Originally Posted by TobiSGD (Post 4898649)
I just don't care about boot times, so I never tried it.

I am quite impatient and don't want to wait for my computer - it should wait for me. I consider installing coreboot on my motherboard to save some time on initial POST phase without resigning from current Slackware startup style.

TobiSGD 02-24-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by average_user (Post 4898655)
Yes, I know that and I am aware of that. Apart from boot time, I hope SSD disk will enhance my productivity in other areas such as searching for files, copying files, indexing a few thousands of e-mails and starting big programs. Can someone confirm the difference?

I can confirm that working on a SSD is faster than on a mechanical disk, especially with tasks involving access to many files due to significantly shorter seek times.

Quote:

I am quite impatient and don't want to wait for my computer - it should wait for me. I consider installing coreboot on my motherboard to save some time on initial POST phase without resigning from current Slackware startup style.
Then the first thing I would do is to simply not boot. Use standby and you will have almost instant startup.

Mike_M 02-24-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by average_user (Post 4898655)
Apart from boot time, I hope SSD disk will enhance my productivity in other areas such as searching for files, copying files, indexing a few thousands of e-mails and starting big programs. Can someone confirm the difference?

The speed improvement for certain operations when I moved from a standard SATA drive to a Intel SSD on my laptop was staggering. For example, extracting the Linux kernel source went from several minutes to under ten seconds. Likewise, deleting the extracted kernel source directory showed similar decreases in time. Obviously there are other factors that come in to play with these tasks, such as processing power, filesystem, etc. Starting times for certain programs, such as LibreOffice and Eclipse, have also improved, but I don't think the difference is all that huge.

solarfields 02-24-2013 01:00 PM

10-15 sec in my case

Martinus2u 02-24-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by average_user (Post 4898655)
Yes, I know that and I am aware of that. Apart from boot time, I hope SSD disk will enhance my productivity in other areas such as searching for files, copying files, indexing a few thousands of e-mails and starting big programs. Can someone confirm the difference?

Typically, an SSD will improve on those things in a first-access scenario. Due to the block buffer of the OS, the second access will be served from RAM anyway (assuming you have enough RAM).

Performancewise I was a bit underwhelmed with the improvement after moving my systems to SSDs. However, since you get used to every little bit, I don't want to move back either. ;)

PS: one very good reason for an SSD in a laptop ist the high shock resistance.

jefro 02-24-2013 06:14 PM

I wouldn't buy an SSD to expect much gain in boot times. The current systems seem to take longer than the old IBM AT systems. You can expect some things to be faster when booted and that should be the reason you buy a good one. I don't think my boot time all together is improved much with an ssd on a new i7 system. Still have to wait for the system to access the disk.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:33 PM.