LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   What about Kexi in Calligra? (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/what-about-kexi-in-calligra-4175418452/)

sombragris 07-24-2012 03:46 PM

What about Kexi in Calligra?
 
Hi there. I wanted to do a small database: table/form/report combination, and I wanted to do it in Kexi. I thought it came with the Calligra suite but it was nowhere to be found. Was it excluded on purpose?

I use Slack64-current with KDE 4.9 RC1 packages courtesy of AlienBOB.

Thanks!

jefro 07-24-2012 09:55 PM

Not sure of the status actually. At one time and maybe still you can get kexi alone. I just went to the site and it is offered. The kexi site has a way to get it but a wiki page seems to suggest kexi was taken over by calligra and only comes with it.

Did you install calligra?

sombragris 07-24-2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jefro (Post 4737208)
Not sure of the status actually. At one time and maybe still you can get kexi alone. I just went to the site and it is offered. The kexi site has a way to get it but a wiki page seems to suggest kexi was taken over by calligra and only comes with it.

Did you install calligra?

Yes. But I wanted to know if it was excluded on purpose of Calligra. Yes, I did install Calligra.

I would like to get kexi in a SlackBuild, so I could manage installation, deinstallation and upgrade smooothly.

ppr:kut 08-01-2012 09:57 AM

Kexi now requires icu4c, which is not available in slackware. The build kexi install icu4c from slackbuilds.org and recompile calligra.

Darth Vader 08-01-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ppr:kut (Post 4743197)
Kexi now requires icu4c, which is not available in slackware. The build kexi install icu4c from slackbuilds.org and recompile calligra.

What makes me ask a natural question: why is it ignored that important dependency of Calligra?

Introduce this icu4c problems in Slackware API/ABI? With that exclusion, the DVD ISO size is reduced from 5480MB to 5460MB?

I think the exclusion of Kexi, for reasons not to include a dependency, as an epic mistake, because, after all, Kexi is the most important component of Calligra for use in an office (eg, for a secretary which creates some reports, or some accountants).

And finally, Kexi can be most conveniently introduced into Slackware, as tool of its type. Or maybe we will include LibreOffice?

jefro 08-01-2012 11:03 PM

I tried to install it to an OpenSuse and it complained too about a missing library.

ppr:kut 08-02-2012 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Vader (Post 4743611)
What makes me ask a natural question: why is it ignored that important dependency of Calligra?

Introduce this icu4c problems in Slackware API/ABI? With that exclusion, the DVD ISO size is reduced from 5480MB to 5460MB?

I think the exclusion of Kexi, for reasons not to include a dependency, as an epic mistake, because, after all, Kexi is the most important component of Calligra for use in an office (eg, for a secretary which creates some reports, or some accountants).

And finally, Kexi can be most conveniently introduced into Slackware, as tool of its type. Or maybe we will include LibreOffice?

I can assure you it is not being ignored, it was simply overlooked when calligra was initially added. Now with regards to problems, icu4c is not a simple small library,
if added it will affect several other packages in slackware, which at this point of the development process would make it rather risky to add. That doesn't mean it won't happen, but understand that it's not as simple as "let's add icu4c to fix it"

sombragris 08-02-2012 09:40 AM

Thank you for the answers. I had icu4c already installed, and now I am going to try a recompile.

willysr 08-02-2012 10:57 PM

icu4c is now part of Slackware-Current
Code:

Thu Aug  2 23:16:33 UTC 2012
a/cups-1.5.4-i486-1.txz:  Upgraded.
a/util-linux-2.21.2-i486-4.txz:  Rebuilt.
  Added an upstream patch to fix loop encryption in mount.
  Thanks to Kris Karas.
  Added back "line" utility.  Thanks to Marco Arioli.
  Added an upstream patch to fix sector granularity in fdisk.
  Thanks to Robby Workman.
ap/mysql-5.5.25a-i486-2.txz:  Rebuilt.
  Change the private header installation to match what MariaDB is now doing.
  Thanks to Heinz Wiesinger.
kde/calligra-2.4.3-i486-3.txz:  Rebuilt.
kde/okular-4.8.4-i486-2.txz:  Rebuilt.
l/icu4c-49.1.2-i486-1.txz:  Added.
  Thanks to Heinz Wiesinger.
l/libwpd-0.9.4-i486-1.txz:  Upgraded.
  Thanks to Heinz Wiesinger.
l/poppler-0.20.2-i486-1.txz:  Upgraded.
  Thanks to Eric Hameleers.
xfce/tumbler-0.1.25-i486-2.txz:  Rebuilt.
extra/source/java/java.SlackBuild:  Patched.
  Fixed a missing [ that was causing jdk to be packaged with a dangling
  symlink.  Thanks to Josiah Boothby.


mlangdn 08-02-2012 11:00 PM

And also along with calligra being rebuilt. Kexi now shows up in the menu.

sombragris 08-03-2012 12:20 AM

YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!
I already had icu4c installed from SBo, and I rebuilt calligra, and then kexi was compiled.
Then I saw the Changelog. Man, that is sweet. Pat & Slackware crew, you ROCK!!! Thanks :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23 PM.