LinuxQuestions.org
LinuxAnswers - the LQ Linux tutorial section.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 04-22-2014, 01:53 AM   #46
Didier Spaier
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Location: Paris, France
Distribution: Slackware{,64}-{14.1,current} on a Lenovo Thinkpad T61 6457-4XG
Posts: 4,374

Rep: Reputation: 1087Reputation: 1087Reputation: 1087Reputation: 1087Reputation: 1087Reputation: 1087Reputation: 1087Reputation: 1087

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumguy View Post
Anybody here use Slack with the Icewm? (I may try Fluxbox- I used it once as an experiment...don't remember if I liked it or not, 'cause I tried a few at the time- I just remember that I abhorred Xmonad!)
You can get stuff needed to build an IceWM package here. Read carefully the SlackBuild Usage HOWTO first. For your documentation needs, see SlackDocs.

I've used IceWM in the past, now I use Fluxbox. Using one or the other is a matter of taste, I think. Both are lightweight.

Last edited by Didier Spaier; 04-22-2014 at 01:54 AM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:33 AM   #47
Sumguy
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2010
Location: Rural Kentucky, USA.
Distribution: Slackware; Crunchbang.
Posts: 403
Blog Entries: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 97
Thanks for the info, Didier.

For the time being though, I'll just use one of the included DE's/WM's.

One question:

Also, when booting Slack up, when I go to start X, I used to be presented with a dialogue with two choices for the XFCE DE- Choice A[forget what exactly it said] and "Use a single window". I selected choice A the first time, and it gave me a nicely featured XFCE desktop. Rebooting, I chose the "single window" option. to see what would happen. I got a stripped-down XFCE and my wallpaper, etc. were gone. On subsequent rebootings, I am no longer presented with the choice of options which gave me the full desktop, with my wallpaper and all. How do I get that option back? [I hope you can understand what I'm talking about]
 
Old 04-22-2014, 04:31 AM   #48
moisespedro
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2013
Location: Brazil
Distribution: Slackware and LFS
Posts: 940

Rep: Reputation: 108Reputation: 108
What? I've never seen that. Can you post a screenshot?
 
Old 04-22-2014, 10:40 AM   #49
Sumguy
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2010
Location: Rural Kentucky, USA.
Distribution: Slackware; Crunchbang.
Posts: 403
Blog Entries: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisespedro View Post
What? I've never seen that. Can you post a screenshot?
Hehe...no- if I could get it to offer the choice again, it'd be fixed.

Weird! What I have to do, is initially login as root. Then when I start X, I get the regular XFCE desktop with my wallpaper and icons and everything. Then I use the terminal to login as a regular user- and all is well.

I even tried copying the .Xinitrc file from the root folder into my user folder- but that didn't work. I figured if I could give the user account the same default options as root, it'd work......

Hmmm...maybe if I delete my user account, and then add myself again as a new user...... (worth a shot, eh?)
 
Old 04-22-2014, 10:44 AM   #50
moisespedro
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2013
Location: Brazil
Distribution: Slackware and LFS
Posts: 940

Rep: Reputation: 108Reputation: 108
You can try removing the xfce config files under .config folder on your home directory (your user home directory)

Remove the following directories:
.config/xfce4
.config/xfce4-session
.cache/xfce4

Last edited by moisespedro; 04-22-2014 at 10:46 AM.
 
Old 04-22-2014, 11:17 AM   #51
Sumguy
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2010
Location: Rural Kentucky, USA.
Distribution: Slackware; Crunchbang.
Posts: 403
Blog Entries: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 97
Excellent! That sounds like it'll do the trick. Thanks!

But I have bigger problems at the moment, now...

HELP!!!!!

I think I done did broke it!

Couldn't seem to get out of the root account- so I googled for options, and...unfortunately, tried "pkill -KILL -u root"

I think it deleted the root account! Now when I try to boot-up...nothing but a blinking cursor stuck on "LIL_" (not even "LILO"!)

Any way to fix this from a live CD (which is what I am on now)...or do I have to reinstall Slack (Not that big of a deal if I do...I didn't customize much, yet- and now that I've done it once, it'll twice as fast this time around)

First time I ever broke an OS....and it didn't even take 12 hours!
 
Old 04-22-2014, 11:57 AM   #52
Bertman123
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2010
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 226

Rep: Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumguy View Post

One question:

Also, when booting Slack up, when I go to start X, I used to be presented with a dialogue with two choices for the XFCE DE- Choice A[forget what exactly it said] and "Use a single window". I selected choice A the first time, and it gave me a nicely featured XFCE desktop. Rebooting, I chose the "single window" option. to see what would happen. I got a stripped-down XFCE and my wallpaper, etc. were gone. On subsequent rebootings, I am no longer presented with the choice of options which gave me the full desktop, with my wallpaper and all. How do I get that option back? [I hope you can understand what I'm talking about]
When you first log onto xfce it asks you if you want the default set up - with two panels (top and bottom), or if you want a blank panel - to set it up however you want. Selecting the first option is the safe choice as you can then modify, add, delete options to the panels as you want.

I also recommend setting up a separate /home partition in case you need to re-install. I learned that the hard way... and also got very good at install slack on my laptop...
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:13 PM   #53
Sumguy
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2010
Location: Rural Kentucky, USA.
Distribution: Slackware; Crunchbang.
Posts: 403
Blog Entries: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertman123 View Post
When you first log onto xfce it asks you if you want the default set up - with two panels (top and bottom), or if you want a blank panel - to set it up however you want. Selecting the first option is the safe choice as you can then modify, add, delete options to the panels as you want.
Exactly! Would there have been any way to get back to where I had the option of choosing again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertman123 View Post
I also recommend setting up a separate /home partition in case you need to re-install. I learned that the hard way... and also got very good at install slack on my laptop...
I will be taking that advice!
 
Old 04-22-2014, 12:25 PM   #54
jtsn
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2011
Location: Europe
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 806

Rep: Reputation: 362Reputation: 362Reputation: 362Reputation: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumguy View Post
I think it deleted the root account!

Now when I try to boot-up...nothing but a blinking cursor stuck on "LIL_" (not even "LILO"!)
This tells you, where the boot process is stuck. You did break something else (most likely by trying to switch to the generic kernel) and it has nothing to do with your pkill command.

Boot your system using your recovery USB stick created during the Slackware installation or by following the instructions at the ISOLINUX boot: prompt after inserting your Slackware DVD. It tells you, how to boot into your existing system by specifing your root partition.

Then just run lilo again. You don't have to reinstall.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:38 PM   #55
Bertman123
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2010
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 226

Rep: Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumguy View Post
Exactly! Would there have been any way to get back to where I had the option of choosing again?

Open the file manager and in the view menu click on show hidden files. Go into the .config folder and try deleting the xfce4 folder. If that doesn't do everything try deleting the entire .config folder. Alternatively you could right click on the .config folder and re-name it to .config.old or something like that so that you can go back to it if you need something later.


I will be taking that advice!
That was the best advice I found. Also, before upgrading I make copies of the following folders as it usually saves all of my information.

.config
.mozilla
.thunderbird

I already make copies of everything else in my home directory in case I mess something... I mean something goes wrong...
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:39 PM   #56
Bertman123
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2010
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 226

Rep: Reputation: 28
[QUOTE=Sumguy;5157186]Exactly! Would there have been any way to get back to where I had the option of choosing again?

Open the file manager and in the view menu click on show hidden files. Go into the .config folder and try deleting the xfce4 folder. If that doesn't do everything try deleting the entire .config folder. Alternatively you could right click on the .config folder and re-name it to .config.old or something like that so that you can go back to it if you need something later.
 
Old 04-22-2014, 12:41 PM   #57
Smokey_justme
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2009
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 397

Rep: Reputation: 111Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumguy View Post
Excellent! That sounds like it'll do the trick. Thanks!

But I have bigger problems at the moment, now...

HELP!!!!!

I think I done did broke it!

Couldn't seem to get out of the root account- so I googled for options, and...unfortunately, tried "pkill -KILL -u root"

I think it deleted the root account! Now when I try to boot-up...nothing but a blinking cursor stuck on "LIL_" (not even "LILO"!)

Any way to fix this from a live CD (which is what I am on now)...or do I have to reinstall Slack (Not that big of a deal if I do...I didn't customize much, yet- and now that I've done it once, it'll twice as fast this time around)

First time I ever broke an OS....and it didn't even take 12 hours!
You somehow broke your MBR (Lilo installation)... But not with that command... Anyway, you boot your system using the installation cd...

When "boot:" appears on your screen type:
Code:
mount noinitrd ro root=/dev/hda1
Replace /dev/hda1 with your root partition. See this README for more information..

After your system booted, ensure you have a correct /etc/lilo.conf (that installs in the MBR) and run:
Code:
lilo
Now, about the getting out of root problem:
You cannot get stuck with one user.. :P Use exit or logout until the login prompt reappears.. Or use (CTRL +) ALT + F2 to switch to the second virtual console (you have six of these F1 to F6, at F7 lives the X Window System [GUI]). CTRL is only needed when switching from X to a text best console..

So, as you see, there is no way to get stuck logged in.. Terminals are everywhere :P
 
Old 04-22-2014, 05:28 PM   #58
Sumguy
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2010
Location: Rural Kentucky, USA.
Distribution: Slackware; Crunchbang.
Posts: 403
Blog Entries: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertman123 View Post
That was the best advice I found. Also, before upgrading I make copies of the following folders as it usually saves all of my information.

.config
.mozilla
.thunderbird

I already make copies of everything else in my home directory in case I mess something... I mean something goes wrong...
More sage advice! I'll be doing that, for the next time I bust...I mean "adjust" my system....

[QUOTE=Bertman123;5157207]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumguy View Post
Exactly! Would there have been any way to get back to where I had the option of choosing again?

Open the file manager and in the view menu click on show hidden files. Go into the .config folder and try deleting the xfce4 folder. If that doesn't do everything try deleting the entire .config folder. Alternatively you could right click on the .config folder and re-name it to .config.old or something like that so that you can go back to it if you need something later.
More great advice! Thanks. I'll be keeping a link to this thread, as I'm sure all the great links and advice here will come in handy.

I think I must have created that first desktop under the root account (Doing "su <user>" doesn't really seem to disable root priveleges....does it? (At least not in Slackware)

I created a new user account, and that got me at least back to that "option" box. I think I'm getting a handle on this stuff..... (It's weird how in Slackware, in the terminal, it doesn't "root@Slack" or "Joe@Slack"....it just always says "Bash". (I thought it was giving me an order at first!)

Last edited by Sumguy; 04-22-2014 at 05:37 PM.
 
Old 04-22-2014, 05:36 PM   #59
Sumguy
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2010
Location: Rural Kentucky, USA.
Distribution: Slackware; Crunchbang.
Posts: 403
Blog Entries: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 97
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey_justme View Post
You somehow broke your MBR (Lilo installation)... But not with that command... Anyway, you boot your system using the installation cd...

When "boot:" appears on your screen type:
Code:
mount noinitrd ro root=/dev/hda1
Replace /dev/hda1 with your root partition. See this README for more information..

After your system booted, ensure you have a correct /etc/lilo.conf (that installs in the MBR) and run:
Code:
lilo
Now, about the getting out of root problem:
You cannot get stuck with one user.. :P Use exit or logout until the login prompt reappears.. Or use (CTRL +) ALT + F2 to switch to the second virtual console (you have six of these F1 to F6, at F7 lives the X Window System [GUI]). CTRL is only needed when switching from X to a text best console..

So, as you see, there is no way to get stuck logged in.. Terminals are everywhere :P
Ahh!! More invaluable advice. Thanks.

Funny thing was though....after having used that live AntiX CD that I was using when I posted earlier, I just tried re-booting the computer for the herck of it...and it worked like normal. That one time, LILO must have just been hanging (?). So far, so good.

Now if I can just figure out how to get LILO to recognize my Crunchbang partition, I'll be home-free (Someone gave advice on that a few pages back- I have to re-read it and give it a try- In the meantime, if anyone wants to post anymore comments...feel free!)

Hopefully, I won't be too much of a bother to you guys from here on out- I THINK I have almost everything under control.....

I think my first attempt at installing a package in Slack, is going to be a log-in manager (This should be fun!) A compiling i shall go! (Or Slackbuilds...) [Told ya I was getting the hang of this!]
 
Old 04-22-2014, 05:38 PM   #60
Didier Spaier
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Location: Paris, France
Distribution: Slackware{,64}-{14.1,current} on a Lenovo Thinkpad T61 6457-4XG
Posts: 4,374

Rep: Reputation: 1087Reputation: 1087Reputation: 1087Reputation: 1087Reputation: 1087Reputation: 1087Reputation: 1087Reputation: 1087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumguy View Post
(It's weird how in Slackware, in the terminal, it doesn't "root@Slack" or "Joe@Slack"....it just always says "Bash". (I thought it was giving me an order at first!)
You can customize the bash prompt, setting the PS1 shell variable as you see fit.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] MySQL & Slack 12.2 problems with getting the thing to run... lpallard Linux - Server 2 03-03-2010 07:10 PM
LXer: Are You Afraid...? You Will Be... LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 07-17-2009 04:00 AM
Why I am afraid to use Linux (some help please) old6598 General 1 04-07-2007 05:45 AM
about KDE i'm afraid ;) yoron Slackware 2 01-18-2006 01:04 PM
Afraid I Have Been Compromised robpom Linux - Security 12 03-31-2005 12:50 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration