SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I've set up an FTP server on my headless Slackware64 13.37 machine. If I put files with polish diacritical signs (utf-8) in their names and browse them in Seamonkey or Firefox, they appear as gibberish (to me at least). I can switch the encoding in the browsers to uft-8 and then they appear fine, but shouldn't this be done automatically?
So, a file named "ęóąśżźćń.txt" appears like shown in the attachment.
However, in Konqueror and in the text based "ftp" client, the encoding is set correctly and the file looks like it should.
From what I've gathered, looking around the Internet, vsftpd sets the encoding according to the system's locale, and mine's:
Ftp server do not send to client which charset it use. You need to configure ftp client application, for example in Firefox, you can set UTF8 in "Edit/Preferences/Content/Fonts & Colors", button "Advanced".
It's probably a Firefox bug, but apparently you can set the language to use during an FTP session (see RFC), so there's a very small chance it could be considered an FTP server bug. You'd need to analyze the network traffic to see if Firefox issues a LANG command or not.
I've started reading that memo, but it's too complicated for me. It seems it was written for the people who created the FTP protocol :P
Also, no idea how to analyze the network traffic to see if Firefox issues a LANG command.
Originally Posted by Didier Spaier
The problem is that there is no 100% sure way to detect the encoding of a text string
I would type "about:config" in Firefox and try to play with the settings filtered searching for "utf"
The same issue as I've mentioned above, I can't make everyone connecting to my server change their browser settings.
Since it's not something I can set up with "encoding=utf8" in a vsftpd config file, I guess I'll just avoid using non-ASCII letters.
* The vsftpd server previously did not support the UTF-8 feature. This update
implements the UTF-8 feature for the vsftpd server in accordance with the
Internationalization of the File Transfer Protocol (RFC 2640) standard.
Which means (I think), that most ftp clients are ok and only some web browsers are not compliant with RFC-2640.
I've tested 5 of them (green=ok; red=not_ok): SeaMonkey 2.17.1
Internet Explorer 9 *gasp* Konqueror 4.8.5
Google Chrome 26.0.1410.63 (installed specifically to test this)