SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
Any idea where I can find a 32 bit copy of vlc 2.0.x?
vlc 2.1 doesn't seem to work here, it starts up, displays the first frame then hangs, this is occurring on a new laptop with Intel HD 4000 graphics and an i5 processor. Behavior is the same when tested in a Slackware host (-current with latest updates) and a Slackware guest in Virtualbox. The 2.0.x series always worked out of the box.
Eric, thanks for providing the 2.0.8 package.
Since vlc-2.1 worked out of the box for others (but not on this laptop) I tried playing around with the output settings (Tools --> Preferences --> Video --> Output). Changing the output to X11 video output (from Automatic) got it to work again, both in a Slackware host as well as a Slackware guest. Again, many thanks.
I just built the source 2.1.0 tarball from the videolan site on my Slackware 14.0 system and it's working fine. My video is nvidia but I install the driver from the nvidia website, not the one in slackbuilds.org, if that helps anything at all.
Update to my last post about 2.1.0 being built on my system and working...
It worked fine on an mkv video *I* ripped on *my* system, that being Slackware 14.0
When I went to watch an mkv video I'd downloaded which was ripped by an M$ machine (I checked the source of the person who uploaded it), the video had that stutter affect ie, it would 'stop' for half a second every 3 or four seconds.
So, today I did a clean install of 14.1 on my Lenovo x220 (Sandy bridge I5) and compiled (no errors) vlc 2.1.1 from sources and again: smooth x264 playback for several seconds and then movie halts for a moment and this goes repeatedly on and on, CPU utilization constantly under 20%,no peaks.Tweaking with hardware acceleration settings makes no difference in result.Same for Alien's compiled package. Damn.
How to get out of it? Is it possible to tell somehow to x264 decoder (or vlc) to write some debug log?
Going back to my 2.0.7 backup ...
configure: error: libavcodec versions 55 and later are not supported yet.
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
** building the vlc package (version 2.0.8) ...
make: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop.
cp: cannot create directory '/tmp/build/package-vlc/usr/share/vlc/': No such file or directory
I can confirm vlc player 2.12 from slackbuilds working with 1080p h.264 playback over wireless from a nfs server, on a ASUS core i3 with hd4000 graphics with libva from slackbuilds and under input/codecs hardware accelerated decoding video acceleration (VA) API selected in preferences, video is playing flawlessly with fairly low cpu usage.
Also on a side note, completely unrelated to vlc player, for those with hd4000 graphics, i was able to get rid of screen tearing in Xfce 4 by disabling Xfce's compositor and switching to compton but I'm sure compiz or another compositor would do just fine.