SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I just installed a vanilla clean Slackware 10.1 on my old Sony VAIO PCG-R505CT. Changed default runlevel to 4 in /etc/inittab and set correct refresh-rates for X-windows in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
System boots like a charm, presents the KDE 3.3 login screen and allows me to log in.
However, when I log out, the screen goes black and nothing happens.
Switching to a virtual console shows that kdm is no longer running. /etc/rc.4 is plain vanilla, starting kdm with -nodaemon option, just as it does on my other computers also running Slackware 10.1
Logging in as root and restarting kdm manually presents the login screen again, but the problem repeats itself on logout. Logging in as normal user with startx is not a problem.
Have tried creating a new user with blank /home/user directory to see if it's user specific, but it's not.
Has anyone experience with this?
Can anyone tell me where KDM keeps its relevant logfiles (~/.xsession-errors show nothing).
Is there a way to enable verbose logging to find out why on earth it dies after user logout?
Tried google.com/linux - no success.
PS. The system used to run SuSE 9.2 on which KDE 3.3 worked fine. SuSE was a CPU hog however, so it was a major strain on my already lacking patience...
I am having the same problem I use Suse 9.2 and just installed the Radeon 9600 drivers for my Laptop.
The problem only occured emediately after installing ATI drivers for 3D. So I ssh to the box with the BSOD (black screen of death, hehe) and try to kill kdm and all instances of KDE apps. but they don't die.
Try to unload the fglrx driver with an rmmod but it didn't work, because the driver is busy..
So I'm not sure if it's KDM or the driver. So I change display managers to standard xdm, and I no longer get a BSOD when I log out. (So if you just want to fix it this seems to work, switching the login manager.)
I doesn't work with GDM or KDM but XDM seems to work fine.
I thought it was the fglrx driver.. if you are using a radeon card. (Least it is in my case, I am.)
And I'm pretty sure it is.. and somehow XDM is immune to the error.
Also I saw on a Mandrake board that MDK version 9.0 had problems with kde shutting down the video card on logout. So you get a blank screen..
Just something I thought might be helpfull for anyone having the same problems...
Last edited by chatsubo42; 05-06-2005 at 09:14 PM.
My distro is Gentoo and I'm using nvidia... so it shouldn't be a driver problem and it was working before! I tried to downgrade xorg and/or kde.... nothing helps. Don't have _any_ clue the the moment. Only the thing I gonna try later today is not mounting svcdir as tmpfs anymore (as I can remember the last parameter I've changed for the last time is this one). Lets hope...